Windows 7 yet again I need help RE power

ruggb

Extraordinary Member
My system has a new OCZ 700w power supply.
The system is drawing about 200W with a PF~1.0
It is connected to an APC 750VA/400W UPS.
That is plugged into the same outlet as a laser printer.

When I run XP and print a file - the printer starts up and creates a brownout.
The UPS reacts, switches over, then switches back and reports it.
The computer goes on its merry way.

When I run W7 and print a file - the printer starts up and creates a brownout.
The UPS does not make any noise (as if reacting), but the computer goes to sleep, then wakes up in about 20 seconds.
And of course the printer never gets the document to print.

Where is the problem?????????

thx

In the scenario you've described, there seems to be an issue with the power management settings or configuration in Windows 7 that causes the computer to go to sleep when printing a file, unlike when using Windows XP. This behavior is leading to the printer not being able to successfully complete the printing process.

Here are a few steps you can take to troubleshoot and potentially resolve this problem:

1. Power Settings: Check the Power Options settings in Windows 7 to ensure that the system is not set to go to sleep or hibernate when printing. You can adjust these settings to prevent the computer from sleeping during printing processes.

2. Device Manager: Verify that the printer and other connected devices are properly recognized and configured in the Device Manager. Look for any issues or conflicts that might be causing the printer to trigger a sleep mode.

3. Printer Drivers: Make sure that you have the latest drivers installed for your printer that are compatible with Windows 7. Outdated or incompatible drivers can sometimes cause unexpected behavior.

4. UPS Configuration: Check the settings on your APC UPS to ensure it is configured correctly to handle power fluctuations during printing. The UPS should be able to provide sufficient power to the connected devices without triggering any sleep or hibernation modes.

5. Power Supply Capacity: While the OCZ 700W power supply should be sufficient for the system, double-check that it is functioning properly and providing stable power to all components.

6. Isolation Testing: Consider temporarily disconnecting the laser printer or using a different power outlet to see if the issue persists. This can help determine if the problem is related to the printer or the power source.

By investigating these areas and making the necessary adjustments, you may be able to resolve the issue of the computer going to sleep when printing in Windows 7. If the problem persists, further troubleshooting or professional assistance may be needed to identify the root cause.

Back