Windows 10 100% Disk Activity anomaly

Nomad of Norad

Extraordinary Member
Okay, for some reason, Task Manager is telling me I have 100% disk activity, and its going on all day long. This suddenly showed up a couple days ago and I have no idea why. I have not changed anything significant, like installing or updating any programs. Tonight I did do an optional, cumulative update of Windows because one of the guides I came across on how to fix this 100%-disk-activity malfunction said one thing that *might* fix it would be to see if there were any updates to Windows and install them... which I did... and it didn't fix it.

This issue is trampling on certain activities I need to accomplish because, for example, it sometimes makes logins to Second Life take 15 minutes (or makes it FAIL COMPLETELY) instead of taking the usual just-a-few-seconds.

I've tried to follow the instructions on places like this one here, and it doesn't seem to be helping any. Turning off "Windows Search" didn't help at all. trying to turn off Superfetch Service simply got me a no-such-animal, I'm already on just the Windows-provided antivirus, so turning off the one I had isn't even a factor. The suggestion I change certain settings in Google Chrome don't seem to apply, because I'm not using Google Chrome, and there doesn't seem to be an obvious analog of those settings in Opera... and most of the rest of the stuff, the menus and command panes they're pointing me to don't seem to match what I get when I try to go to those functions in my installed edition of Win10. Other suggestions, like ones listed over here, don't seem to match my setup, either. This is driving me nuts.

Well, after 2 days of banging my head against a wall, going through maybe a dozen different what-to-do-if-you-get-100%-disk-activity help pages, all of which gave more or less the same checklist of things to turn off or twiddle with... I finally started systematically shutting down every program I have that were launched at startup... stuff like all the instances of Skype, Discord, Telegram... the lot... until I got to the Pi Node app and to Docker Desktop (which links back to my Pi Node app, and of which I have been running for months) and... soon as I quit out of Docker Desktop, the 100% disk activity quickly dropped away to 0%.

What in the petunias of heck?!?!??

(((Hurries off to the Docker Desktop help forum on Reddit))

Back
Top Bottom