Windows 10 24 Hours and still only 14%

Ray Clements

I have been trying to upgrade my win8.1 since yesterday. I left it running overnight and it now shows 14% copying files 48%. It seems ridiculous to take so long to copy the files.
I am copying the files to an Intel NUC5i7 with 480GB of SSD storage and 1666 ram 8 GB.
I have tried every suggestion I have seen in these forums but still the same.
This is my 4 th attempt at the install.
I did a clean install ( not an upgrade) on my wife's identical hardware with no problem.
Any suggestions would be much appreciated.
Thank you

Hi Ray,
do you have any security applications running?

Hi Ray,
do you have any security applications running?
Thank you for your reply. No, I have turned off defender. It is a new computer with 8.1 and no programs installed yet except the drivers for the NUC.
To further frustrate me we just had a thunder clap and lost our power so the whole process has been started again. After updating for nearly three hours it is only at 1% with copied files at 5%.

Hmm... You could use the media creation tool to create a windows 10 iso but you must first use it to upgrade to qualify for the free win 10:
Windows 10

Once the upgrade is complete then your new windows 10 licence will be stored in the same place as your win 8.1 version. This means that you could then perform a clean install without having to input an activation key.
My thread here explains how activation now works:
Windows 10 Activation explained..

Finally after over 35 hours the upgrade is at 32%. It now shows installing features 6% -But- it has been like that for over an hour. I did re download the upgrade with the same results. Wouldn't the ISO have the same problem. After all if I can upgrade it I wouldn't need the clean install. I might have to be happy with 8.1 I have been trying to upgrade now for about five days and patience is running rather thin. Incidentally my wife has an identical NUC 5i7RYH unit with the same spec. I was able to clean install Win10 homier no time at all from locally purchased software - the Flash drive version. I could buy a new pro version for myself but at $250 (Australia) I would rather upgrade from my 8.1 pro which was only recently purchased.
Thank for your suggestions so far.

Hi Ray,
I originally thought you had issues actually downloading the upgrade hence my suggestion, how much space is there on the HDD?

Also how many times have you tried this process? I would start over and see if anything changes.

Last edited:
thanks for your input. I have a brand new NUC 5i7 with a 640gb SSD AND 8Gb of ram. I installed and activated my 8.1 from my Windows install disk with no problems as I will remove it from my old PC. I have downloaded the Win10 update three times and have experienced the ultra slow file copying each time. Since my last post the process has moved to the configuration and settings but even there it has been sitting at 1% for nearly an hour (overall 75%). I'm not game to touch it in case it causes a failure. Total time so far 2 and a half days since I started the last upgrade
There no programs on the drive only the Intel drivers and I have turned off defender.
Thanks again
Ray

Ok Ray understood.. I'd tend to agree and best just leave it be. I did do a search to see if others had similar experiences and sure I found some long install times but nothing quite as long as yours. Let's hope it complete's soon.

Finally up and running. I stayed up late and it finished around 1 am. Total over three days to install incredible. Maybe that's a record. Can't understand why it took so long but it's a relief that it is all done, I can start installing my software now. Thanks for your help

Glad to hear your install finally completed.. :) Thanks for updating your thread too.

Back
Top Bottom