Windows 7 32-bit app not running on 64-bit os

ksnpowai

I have Windows 7 64-bit OS and have a software program application installed in the C drive. This application is not working though it is working in Windows XP. I understand that there are two program files folder in a 64-bit OS. The 32-bit applications are usually installed in the Program Files x86 folder, but I have installed this particular application in the C drive and not in the Program Files x86 folder. I want to know if this is the reason as to why this application is not running on Windows 7 64-bit OS. As I donot have the installtion software package with me, I need to know so that I can arrange this software to be installed in the Program Files x86 folder (I need to call on the vendor).

Could you give us the link to that application ?

~~~~~~~~

32 apps do work on 64. You can try yours in Vista/XP compatib. mode.

According to Link Removed due to 404 Error:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

With Windows x64 Edition, you can run both 64-bit and 32-bit applications side by side. Your existing 32-bit applications run in WOW64, while the 64-bit applications run natively.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Super Sarge said:
No not all 32 bit apps will work, example Windows Washer by Anti Virus & Anti Spyware Security Software for Home & Business | Webroot will not work in Windows 7 64 bit.

True about x86 security systems and drivers, which do not install on x64 systems. However, they almost always come in two versions, x86 and x64.

I didn't say "ALL", I asked for the link. :)

You Said "32 apps do work on 64." that would give the perception of meaning all 32 bit apps. Yes there may be a 64 bit solution to his problem, however some companies did not make 64 bit solutions due to cost. MS may say that everything should work but in the real world that is not always the case. Another example would be Explorer Plus by Novatix version 6.2 does not work very well with 64 bit W7, it will and does cause crashes.

32 apps do work on 64.
No, I didn't say ALL. Nor I said ALL products by ALL companies.

Just what what MS states:

With Windows x64 Edition, you can run both 64-bit and 32-bit applications side by side. Your existing 32-bit applications run in WOW64, while the 64-bit applications run natively.

Doesn't mean ALL 32-bit applications, right ?

You can try yours in Vista/XP compatib. mode.
A 32-bit application not compatible with 7 may work on 7 x64 in Vista compatibility mode.

No, I didn't say ALL. Nor I said ALL products by ALL companies.

Just what what MS states:

Doesn't mean ALL 32-bit applications, right ?

A 32-bit application not compatible with 7 may work on 7 x64 in Vista compatibility mode.

The key word is may.

Edit:

I agree: may or may not.

Last edited by a moderator:
Could you give us the link to that application ?

~~~~~~~~

32 apps do work on 64. You can try yours in Vista/XP compatib. mode.

I have installed a software accounting package. I have tried running in compatibility modes, but it doesnt work.

I just noticed something important about the error message that it gives. The title of the error message is 'unsupported 16-bit application'. I understand that 16-bit applications dont run on 64-bit OS. So, I suppose I dont have a solution to my problem. I have to contact my software vendor only. If you can provide me some valuable inputs to combat this issue of a 16-bit application running on a 64-bit OS, it could be very helpful. Thanks.

On the 16 bit installer part I had a Bike Log program to keep track of my milage that wouldn't install in 64 bit. What I did was copy from my XP install the entire program folder including subfolders and copy it to Program Files x86 then open and double click the registry file. It works and may work with something like an accounting program. I tried on a virtual PC first. You'll have to create shortcuts too.
Joe

@ ksnpowai

For running 16-bit applications, use virtualisation on a 64-bit OS.

List of limitations in 64-Bit Windows

microsoft kb282423 said:
No 16-bit code can run, except for recognized InstallShield and Acme installers

You can try your sftware on a 32-bit virtual machine:

- VirtualBox

- DOSBox, an x86 emulator with DOS (for 16-bit DOS applications)

- VMware Player: Run Windows 7, Chrome OS - Free Download for a Virtual PC

- if your 7 version is Professional or better, you can use XP Mode (Windows Virtual PC: Home Page)

- you can also try Virtual PC 2007 (Virtual PC Guy's WebLog : Running Virtual PC 2007 on Windows 7)

Last edited:
Back