Windows 7 32-bit vs. 64-bit Comparison

For me, I'm sticking with 32 bit. My motherboard only supports 2gb of RAM max. The main reason to switch to 64 bit is to address more than 3gb of RAM. Also, I've read that some programs and drivers don't work in 64 bit mode. Sure, 64 bit OS's can run in 32 bit mode, but that slows your computer down. My processor supports both 32 and 64 bit OS's. I've decided to stick with 32 bit for compatibility reasons.
Thats fine but I am running 64 bit W7-RC-1 on one drive and Vista 32 bit on another. I have not had a driver problem, I only had one program that did not work in 64 bit and that was Windows Washer by web root. I use Office 2007 and most tools now work in W7 or the companies have 64 bit versions. I would say if yo ran a a windows experience on the 32 bit version and one on the 64 bit version you would see a difference even with only 2 gigs of RAM. Will you go to 64 bit if you upgrade our board and CPU. I run 6 gig of DDR3 1600 MHZ running at 1696 MHZ and will soon run 12 GIG, I get a 7.9 on my Windows experience concerning the ram, which is the Max

I think the fact that MS are giving customers the choice with 32+64bit versions of Win 7 on the same disk 64-bit computing will in the near future be the norm. Even though 64-bit has been around for a while the XP version never really took off because of driver compatibility. This changed dramatically with Vista 64-bit and I suspect with Win 7 it will not be an issue. The 64-bit O/S is more secure, has better memory management and all things being equal is faster so why not use it.

Why not use 64 bit ??

Because a couple of very important programs to me don't work 100% with the 64 bit version, but work fine with the 32 bit version. What good is having a good computer if your software doesn't work properly ??

The 32 bit version is very stable for me.

:)

I think the fact that MS are giving customers the choice with 32+64bit versions of Win 7 on the same disk 64-bit computing will in the near future be the norm. Even though 64-bit has been around for a while the XP version never really took off because of driver compatibility. This changed dramatically with Vista 64-bit and I suspect with Win 7 it will not be an issue. The 64-bit O/S is more secure, has better memory management and all things being equal is faster so why not use it.

Someone, please forgive my ignorance, but... How is the 64-bit version of any OS more secure than the 32-bit? :confused:

From what I am lead to understand (from CNET iirc) both 32 and 64 bit versions of Windows 7 will be available to me on the installation disk when Win 7-E arrives sometime at the end of October. I have a fairly low spec (1.7Ghz Athlon 64x2) processor and 3GB RAM (I will buy more RAM as necessary) on my main working laptop. I regularly use PS Elements 7 but my main use is music production apps such as FL8XXL, Ableton Live 8 and Reason4.

Should I go the 32 or 64 bit route when doing a clean intall?

What are the advantages and disadvantages of both?

PS Elements works for you? My brother in law was having problems and he called support and they said it requires a 2ghz processor.

Go 64 if your processor is 64 bit which it probably is. 32 bit is fine for now but 64 bit is up and coming. The biggest advantage is 32 bit programs will run in a 64 bit OS while 64 bit programs won't run on a 32 bit OS.

Sorry, but I have a bunch of 32 bit programs that don't work properly in the 64 bit version. My programs work beautifully with W7-32 bit, so that's what I'm planning on using.

Yes,,, people should be aware that not all 32-bit apps will work in a 64-bit OS.
However,, I say,,, pound the third party vendors to get on board with 64-bit or be left behind.

It is rumored that Win 8 will be 64-Bit only.

I would start looking for alternatives. I only wish there was for the reason why I can't. or had the money to make the change.
Mine has to do with Video Capture.

And no,, I have never heard of 64-Bit providing any additional security in any way.
It is just a different instruction set that provides better throughput. In simple terms.

I'm guessing my programs will be updated to be compatible with 64 bit in the next year or two, so in the meantime, I'll be using the 32 bit version.

I've tried both 64 and the 32 bit versions of the RC, and found both to be very stable and responsive. The only adavantage of the 64 bit versoin that I saw was memory utilization. My computer will read 3.25 of my 4 gig memory with the 32 bit version, but the 64 bit version will read all 4 gigs of my memory. Other than that I don't see much difference, but at least all my programs run 100% with the 32 bit version. System recommendations for memory for my programs are all 2 gig or under, so I'm in good shape with 3.25 gig.

My computer is 64 bit compatible, but my software programs are not. I want my software to work right. What good is a hot computer if your software doesn't work right ??

After my programs have been updated, then I'll consider switching to 64 bit, but not until then.

So I'm going to ask heidthebaw's question slightly differently.

64-bit computing is not exactly new on the computer scene, and yet there are still quite a few drivers and apps that have yet to be written for x64 (Flash has already been mentioned).

My question is this: is fighting to get the drivers and applications working on x64 worth it? Is there that much of a speed difference to warrant the hassle?

I have played a little bit with 64-bit and found the hassle so great I simply wanted to toss the PC out of the window.

I'm curious what you folks think about this.

I just bought a new win7 machine 64 bit. Some drivers are not available, (such as my Samsung ML-1630W - bought brand new with the system) but if you set the installer to use windows update, it usually installs a driver that will work (though you will find a few errors listed in the events list).

All my programs except one work fine, and the reason that one does not is that it was written for win 98. So I run it in hardware emulation mode which works very well.

Jumping from XP 32 direct to Win7 64 has not been much of a pain - except for networking three machines all running different operating systems. However, after looking around at thgis forum and the Microsoft win 7 forum (pardon the swearword) I even got them all taliking to each other, transferring videos and photos as well as documents.

I can even run programs on my XP machine from my win 7 machine. Now thats what I call networking.
Win 7 - Great
64 bit Great

x 64 is definitely a plus even under 4 Gb of Ram. The only "inconvenience" may be that certain few programs automatically install themselves in two versions, 86 and 64: to Program Files (x86) and to Program Files. Sometimes there is an option for that, sometimes there isn't. Shouldn't be a big deal if your hard drive is large enough.

Even with Ram < 4 Gb I would choose the x 64. :)

Even with Ram < 4 Gb I would choose the x 64.
I concur ,,,, as long as your software/hardware work under x64, then get it. If not, and you can't find an alternative or live without it, then you are stuck with x32 till you can find an alternative or an upgrade.

so, yes, x64 is the way to go and I hope that Win 8 forces the issue and is x64 ONLY.,, which is what Win 7 should have been.

I have no complaints with Win7. Even if the flashplayer has not been made for x64, I find that the flashplayer for my 32 bit is working just find. In fact I have had less trouble with it than I did with Vista 32 bit. All of my software and programs seems to be working ok. If something comes up and it don't I will let you know. I have been running the x64 Win7 for around two weeks now. Time will tell. Right now am completely sastisfied with it.

I read that certain older game's only run on 32bit and not 64 so i guess it's best to have both, but i'm wondering if Dell is going to send me a disc or if it's going to be installed for me. If that's the case, will it have both on it?

I have my new pc built from Dell with Windows 7 but i'm still leery... I love XP and For the Dell i'm buying, i can get it loaded with XP with the Windows 7 32bit upgrade.. It'll cost me a little more but i think until all the bug's are sifted through, i may do that.. What do ya thunk? Stick with windows7 64bit or? *screams* ! lol

I mean, if for whatever reason i have to dump XP and go to windows7, i can easily upgrade... Money isn't an issue for me as far as that goes, I'm like the little kid who's afraid to jump in the swimming pool for the first time i guess.. lol Am i not alone here? XP has been perfect thus far...

Nothing web based is an issue except w/ the IE (x64) browser.

I agree, the only problem/issue I've run into with IE x64 browser is the fact that Adobe hasn't made a 64-bit flash player yet. This problem lies not with Microsoft, but with a 3rd-party company that supplies - what normally is - an essential plugin. (Most people don't understand that and blame Microsoft for that, when Microsoft has nothing to do with it.)

I'm (still) really not certain if Dell or manufacturers upgrades are dedicated or or regular MS discs.
OEMs, if that's what they, in this case, Dell, send, come in only 1 flavour. Retail boxes have each disc.
Meaning:
W/ 2 discs dual-boot is possible.
and
There is a way one can access any flavour from an install disc. But, I'm still not sure what applies to a brand/date purchase eligible upgrade.

I understand what you're saying here and I'll try to re-word it for the technogically-challenged, myself included:

With Dell, you have 1 option to upgrade. A disc with W7 and Dell software & drivers, known as OEM. Normally if you purchased the W7 media straight from Microsoft, it would simply come with W7 and it's somewhat-generic drivers for your machine. This is known as the retail software, no matter where you get it from.

Both are solid, but with a simple issue: If you get the Dell OEM, you cannot dual-boot using this software. The OEM is set to lock your harddrive --including all partitions--, get rid of what drivers you have, and install the Dell ones -- making it impossible to do a second time the same way. This is an issue I cannot explain any other way... It just is :frown:

If you want to dual-boot, you need the Retail version of the software unless you already have an operating system on your machine, in which case, most likely, the Dell OEM version will wipe out the dual-boot menu for the other operating system. You will still have the other OS on your machine, but you will have to use a program like VistaBootPro or something in order to switch back and forth between them.

Also, keep in mind that all 64-bit operating systems include the ability to run almost all 32-bit software in compatibility mode. You shouldn't have a problem with any 32-bit software, as 64-bit OS's are specifically made to be able to run it all. However, there are exceptions as Drew mentioned: A few games and almost all older 16-bit software. 64-bit computers have a harder time running 16-bit applications -- so much so that it's almost impossible to do. As we progressed through time, 64-bit developers did not find the need to be able to run these older programs, imagining them to be obsolete. There are some programs that you can use to run these old 16-bit programs, such as DOSbox, and other emulators.

Hopefully, this clears up some of your questions.

Back