Windows 7 32bit and 64bit

BlueNeon37

Please! don't do the 32bit version!
I know that there are some hardwares that won't work with 64bit Windows, but if Microsoft keep releasing a 32bit version the hardware makers would just make 32bit compatible drivers.
My general problem is that I use After Effects, I have 4GB of RAM and can't add more RAM because it Windows 32bit can't use it. Can't buy Windows 64bit because many of my hardware won't come with 64bit compatible drivers. And I'm not talking about a webcam, Is about heavy printing machine and video cards, sound cards etc.
I'm sure that Windows 7 will be much heavier than Vista and would need about 4GB just for the OS, I wouldn't be ok to limit a max of 4GB.

What are you saying?
You say don't do a 32 bit, but then go on to say how you need it 'cause 64 bit won't work for you.
What do you actually want?

As for 7, it will come in 32 and 64 bit, it's already been stated.

If Microsoft releases only 64bit version of Windows all hardware's makers would have to make drivers for 64bit only, so everybody would be happy! I can get drivers for my hardwares and use 8GB and hopefully soon 16GB of RAM :)

Yep, is bad because is more about getting more money than progressing. I'm sure than can do a much better OS at once but they rather go slowly and make many versions of their products.

And that's what competition is for. :) We would have Prescot CPUs if AMD didn't exist, so Mac OS X and Linux will most likely force Windows 7 to raise the bar of the UI.

BlueNeon37 said:
I'm sure that Windows 7 will be much heavier than Vista and would need about 4GB just for the OS, I wouldn't be ok to limit a max of 4GB.

Actually, rumor has it that it that Windows 7 will use less RAM than Vista (or at least not much more). Also, I'm running 64-bit Vista Ultimate on my laptop and I've had no driver trouble.

If your have modern hardware, 64bit will not be an issue. I have a HP LaserJet printer, a Happauge ATSC tv tunner, and a NVTV tunner for XP. Everything works except the NVTV, but hey, it's rather old, and we all know NVIDIA makes crappy drivers for Windows...

BlueNeon37 said:
If Microsoft releases only 64bit version of Windows all hardware's makers would have to make drivers for 64bit only, so everybody would be happy!

...except with the hardware (and software) that's too old for the maker to care if it works with Windows 7 or not.

Which is what virtualization is for. Compatibility mode doesn't work work, so there is no real reason to use it.

Windows 7 should put both the 32 bit operating system and the 64 bit operating system on the same disc and have a program that can detect which to install. That way people dont have to ponder the choice between the two.

It seems that driver support is a market driven enterprise. I'm under the belief that most companies develop updated drivers because they know that if they don't, those who buy the next version of Windows won't buy their products and will opt for something that works.

Then there is the cost of paying programmers to re-engineer drivers for an old device. The cost of doing this can be tremendous, and they will only do it if they know it will mean lost revenue if they don't do it.

Then there are fees to have Microsoft certified drivers because MS has to certify that the drivers have undergone proper quality contorl and don't slow down or crash the system.

In a perfect world, all peripherals would be supported, but sometimes you just have to bite the bullet and go with what works. I am under the belief that if your device can't work in Windows, it may be time to toss it and go with a company that supports their products - but that's a personal preference.

I believe that after Windows 7, Microsoft will go 64-bit because most systems, by that time, will have 64-bit processors and since Vista more companies are actively supporting their products with 64-bit drivers.

Windows 7 should put both the 32 bit operating system and the 64 bit operating system on the same disc and have a program that can detect which to install. That way people dont have to ponder the choice between the two.

That's a great idea!!!! But I'm sure someone along the line would find a reason to complain about that too...

I agree with Mike here in that after Windows 7 Microsoft should go 64-bit only. I believe they could do it with 7 and pull it off. But.. there are still too many people out there that either wouldn't be bothered to make the transition or don't even know about 64-bit computing yet.. and as we all know, that equals less profit for the mighty Microsoft...

It's just like the transition from 16 bit to 32 bit though... it'll take a while for everybody to switch but it's inevitable.

I agree with Mike here in that after Windows 7 Microsoft should go 64-bit only. I believe they could do it with 7 and pull it off. But.. there are still too many people out there that either wouldn't be bothered to make the transition or don't even know about 64-bit computing yet.. and as we all know, that equals less profit for the mighty Microsoft...

It's just like the transition from 16 bit to 32 bit though... it'll take a while for everybody to switch but it's inevitable.
Indeed trasitions from different Bit OS's can be difficult but what they need to do is make most of the OS's 64 bit especially all the ones preinstalled on computers. I would keep the 32 bit OS's for custom built PC's only. That way most people will end up getting the 64 bit version while only the few custom builders will get 32 bit.

What is gained going from 32 to 64...

See attached WEI for my work PC. I am sure the hardware will work fine with 64bit. But in a work environment running apps such as Office 2007, Crystal Reports, ArcMap and connected to an Exchange server...would I gain anything by run Win7 64 versus Win7 32????

Thanks for any advice.

jjw
ND

Back
Top Bottom