3D Builder Tutorial Part 5: 3D Scanning with Kinect V2

News

Extraordinary Robot
Robot
In this video, Alex Blondin and Gavin Gear demonstrate how you can plug a Kinect V2 sensor into your PC and turn it into a portable 3D scanning setup using the latest version of 3D Builder.

In this video a custom "turntable" was used so that the person being scanned us rotated smoothly, but you can also use an office chair, or move the Kinect sensor and keep the subject stationary. An Alienware 17 laptop was used for scanning because the powerful onboard GPU can process scan data at a high rate, which means you can achieve a high level of detail and fidelity when scanning.

6b071307-d8bd-4b70-9975-12ac5bacff9f.jpg

Once your scan is complete, you can either use a 3D printer to print out a copy, or order prints online in a variety of materials. Here's what a 3D print looks like with PLA filament using a 3D Systems Cube 3 3D printer:

366df7c0-b470-4146-a144-f3ace16dc006.jpg

And if you want to take advantage of the full color detail that 3D scanning produces you can order a Cubify Colorstone 3D print via the "Buy Print" feature in the 3D Builder app. Here's a Cubify Colorstone 3D print of a 3D scan captured using the 3D Builder app and a Kinect V2 sensor:

ed5d9f93-f1a3-460d-9464-e734f9baf24c.jpg

Trust me, with a scanning setup like this, you'll have hours of fun scanning people and things. I'm even wondering how I can get my cat to stand still for 30 seconds (too bad that won't happen).

Here's what you'll need to get a setup like this up and running:

• A Windows PC running Windows 8 or greater OS
  • Kinect for Xbox V2 sensor or Kinect for Windows V2 sensor
  • (optional) Revolving platform/support

Your PC hardware must also meet some basic requirements:

• 64-bit (x64) processor
  • Dual-core 3.1-GHz (2 logical cores per physical) or faster processor
  • 4 GB RAM
  • Graphics card that supports DirectX 11
  • A compatible USB 3.0 port (Intel or Renesas)

If you want to know more about 3D Builder, please check out the other videos in this series:

You can download 3D Builder HERE.

Follow @AFBlondin
Follow @gavingear

njs.gif

Continue reading...

Back
Top Bottom