Windows 7 4096 MB Ram Problem with Vista + 7

hussanali

Banned
Fellows I want to know why the Windows 7 (even Vista) shows my RAM 3393612 KB as I have just installed the Dual Channel memory , two slots of 2 GIGs & If somebody points out that PC is sharing the memory to GPU , if so I haven't installed the GPU. :p

Fellows I want to know why the Windows 7 (even Vista) shows my RAM 3393612 KB as I have just installed the Dual Channel memory , two slots of 2 GIGs & If somebody points out that PC is sharing the memory to GPU , if so I haven't installed the GPU. :p
it's not a problem, it is a bottleneck that can't be fixed.... your using a 32 bit version of windows that oonly supports 3.5gb or ram, no matter what you do or what os or kernel you use a x86 kernel can only use 3.5gb ram, some may show 4 gb some might not but it wont use 4gb. if you want to use 4gb you need a 64bit processor and a 64bit operating system. if you do not have either than there was no point in getting 4gb

also you motherboard has to support 4gb ram. for example my main board can support a maxium of 4gb ram and has a 64bit processor

and if you have your monitor pluged into your computer than you have some sort of GPU.

^^ Also, it might be a setting on your motherboard.
My mobo has a setting for "Top of 4 GB RAM" the setting either being 3.3 GB or 4 GB, so that you can allocate RAM to video.

PAE (Physical Address Extension) can assist in this issue. But it really doesn't matter that much, a certain amount does need to be kept for OS IO's.

As said, if you want to fully utilize 4+ GB of RAM you need 64bit. Though keep in mind that running 64bit Windows does have an inherent drawback since most applications are still run in 32bit mode. You will use more memory per 32bit application inside a 64bit OS than you would running the same application inside a 32bit OS. It's a bit complicated to explain but depending on the application you can use as much as 50% more RAM per application. My recommendation is always to run a 64bit OS if you have at least 4GB of RAM and never with less than that.

If your cpu supports it I would load 64bit Vista on there. I always had much better luck with Vista x64 anyway (in comparison to 32bit Vista).

Ehh, i had this problem, can be solved either by memory remaping option, if its supported by your mobo, or a fresh install, not sure why a fresh install fixes it but it does, and also, 4gb ram will show, providing you have a 64bit W7.

Enzo.

The reason that I not installed the 7 is that I don't know how to install. But I have seen some site in which some guys installed the 7 using Flash Driver, but my budget is low , to afford the 4GB . Currently I have only 2GIGS. :redface: :frown:

Thanks for info, i am going to install the 64-Bit Vista.

That is, if I may be so bold, a mad decision. You are saying that you are on a tight budget, but you are prepared to spend £100-150 for Vista x64 to access just 0.7Gb of additional RAM. Why not download the 64-bit version of Windows 7 RC, try it for free until next March and see if you get a huge increase in performance and then, if you do, splash out the cash to purchase Windows 7 next March. If you don't, then stick with what you have got and thank Microsoft for giving you the opportunity to test it out for free.

You don't need to install via a flash stick - simply write the ISO file which you download from MS to a DVD using a free program such as ImgBurn and then install from the DVD.

Thanks. How much space will it need. Can you believe it? Can you believe it? Can you believe it? . That there is really a shortage of electricity in Pakistan. And every consumer of Pakistan is getting 12hours electricity. What the eff?

Well my Win7 x64 installation occupies 20Gb, but I have a fair few programs installed which require entries in my users folder - but the majority of my programs are installed in a different partition, as are my data files and my Page file. So, it depends on which and how many programs you are planning to install and if you keep your data on the same partition as your OS (something I do not recommend). I would say a minimum of 20Gb, but depending on how you intend to set your system up, I would go for 50Gb to be comfortable - if you have the space.

Well my Win7 x64 installation occupies 20Gb, but I have a fair few programs installed which require entries in my users folder - but the majority of my programs are installed in a different partition, as are my data files and my Page file. So, it depends on which and how many programs you are planning to install and if you keep your data on the same partition as your OS (something I do not recommend). I would say a minimum of 20Gb, but depending on how you intend to set your system up, I would go for 50Gb to be comfortable - if you have the space.
Luckily I got 640 Gigs of HD. Fellow please tell me whether I can use Deamon Tools to burn the ISO files to Flash Drive. :confused:

If you install from a flash drive, I think you would have to extract the files from the ISO image file (download 'Undisker' from the internet to do this) and then copy the files to the flash drive - but as I have always installed from the DVD you would have to get confirmation from others on how to install from a flash drive.

Back