Windows 7 5.1 audio problem help!!

ginnix

Hello everyone. I downloaded and installed windows 7 release candidate yesterday and I have a problem with my surround system. Only my left and right speakers are responding currently. On windows XP I used to install the motherboard's software and they used to work perfectly. My motherboard is Intel DQ965GF, and the audio software is Intel Audio Studio. I tried installing the same driveronto windows 7 but did not work of course. Unfortunately windows 7 does not have this sowftware for now. I was able to manage my speakers in any way in that software. But now it installed its own driver which is High Definition Audio Device version 6.1.7100.0. I try updating it but it says it is already up to date.

I have read the another thread about this but it did not help either. I tried right clicking on the speaker icon on bottom right corner and then playback devices. There, on the screen there are 2 devices which are Speakers and Digital Audio (S/PDIF) which i dont know what it does. Well i clicked configure at the bottom left then it says choos your configuration. I only have stereo option on the list no 5.1 surround or anything else, just stereo. So the windows does not see my speakers. Please help what can I do? My system is Logitech X-530 5.1.

I had the same problem, but someone posted a driver for my Nvidia card and I got my 5.1 surround working.

SPDIF is an optical connection that you usually connect to a 5.1 or 7.1 channel Home theater receiver.

I don't know of any computer speakers that have that input, but I might be wrong.

you might want to check out this link:

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Product_Filter.aspx?ProductID=2372

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you for the link. I forgot telling about that. I alsow tried downloading the corresponding audio driver from there, which is not supported by windows 7 yet. So I installed the one for the vista 64 bit (my win 7 is 64bit also). It worked nicely, but when I tried to choose the 5.1 speaker option on that software it did not let me, it goes right back to stereo when choose 5.1 from the drop down box without any messages or errors. It does not work either. I think my motherboard is doomed for now regarding windows 7 :frown:

Sorry, I should have mentioned there was no Windows 7 driver, but is that the driver you now have installed from that site?

What programs did it work in previously?

It is not installed right now but yes I installed the software from there, it did not work so I uninstalled it. As I said it does not let me choose 5.1. Previously on XP I used to use Intel Audio Studio and Sigma Tel audio driver software which does not exsist for windows 7.

I need to know your computer specs.

Download this free utility and copy and paste the componets into Notepad and post it back here:
|MG| SIW (System Info) 2009.3.17.0

Or just go to Start > Run, and type msinfo32

Try filling out the form in User CP in your profile, so it's viewable by everyone.

Ok I wrote msinfo and here is the result, hope it helps:

OS Name: Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate
Version: 6.1.7100 Build 7100
Other OS Description: Not Available
OS Manufacturer: Microsoft Corporation
System Name : EFCAN-PC
System Manufacturer: INTEL_
System Model: DQ965GF_
System Type: x64-based PC
Processor : Intel(R) Core(TM)2 CPU 6400 @ 2.13GHz, 2128 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 2 Logical Processor(s)
BIOS Version/Date: Intel Corp. CO96510J.86A.4462.2006.0804.2059, 8/4/2006
SMBIOS Version: 2.4
Windows Directory: C:\Windows
System Directory: C:\Windows\system32
Boot Device: \Device\HarddiskVolume1
Locale: United States
Hardware Abstraction Layer: Version = "6.1.7100.0"
User Name: EFCAN-PC\EFCAN
Time Zone: GTB Daylight Time
Installed Physical Memory (RAM): 4.00 GB
Total Physical Memory: 3.93 GB
Available Physical Memory: 2.54 GB
Total Virtual Memory: 7.87 GB
Available Virtual Memory: 6.32 GB
Page File Space: 3.93 GB
Page File: C:\pagefile.sys

Actually, I need your sound card information.

Go to Control Panel > Device manager, and expand the sound, video and game controllers section.

As long as you are there, is there a yellow flag beside any entry?

Yes there is, but not in sounds and game controllers. There are yellow flags in Other Devices which are:
PCI Serial Port
PCI Simple Communications Controller
USB Camera (I have the driver i just did not install it)

Under sounds there is only High Definition Audio Device withouth any flags.

Any possible solutions?

Last edited:
Back