Windows 7 64-bit on my netbook?

Mitchell_A

Essential Member
Hey everyone,

I was wondering if I could run Windows 7 64-bit on my Acer Aspire One netbook:confused:
I know it's probably a dumb question, but I just want to know considering I've never run a 64-bit operating system

Thanks (see specs on left?)

Hey everyone,

I was wondering if I could run Windows 7 64-bit on my Acer Aspire One netbook:confused:
I know it's probably a dumb question, but I just want to know considering I've never run a 64-bit operating system

Negative, the atom processors are only x86.

No

The Acer Aspire, like the HP Mini, uses the Atom N270 Processor. This is a 32 bit processor, so no you will not be able to install Windows 7 X64.

But the X86 version runs like a champ on the Atom processors!

Hey everyone,

what is the cpu. press f2 f4 f11 and f12 and see the blue bios page... and it iwll say n455 or n20 or somehting. 270 is 32 bit, and 450 is 64 bit...

just go to ubuntu.com and download 64 bit ubuntu free, put it on flash drive, and if itboots, its 64 if it error, its 32

The CPU is the central processing unit (usually referring to your processor). This thread is extremely old, if you need assistance I request you start a new thread in the appropriate section of the forum.

Thank you.

Last edited:
So, can netwbooks equipped with atom n450 run Win 7 Pro 64 bit?

Been lookin for a laptop able to run Win 7 Pro 64 bit, so if anybody knows where to find such an animal, please let me know...

from original post at - windows7forums.com/windows-7.../3699-64-bit-my-netbook.html

Originally Posted by jmcgeejr Negative, the atom processors are only x86.

not true... i have a 64bit netbook. It is an atom n450.....

I have a acer aspire one, YOU CANNOT PUT 64BIT on, the hardware doesnt support it

try and install it , it wil give and error saying its not compatable

Well, I wasn't interested in "trying" anything...I'd like to buy one that either has Win 7 64bit loaded on there or one that is built by the manufacturer to compatible with Win 7 64bit

Got any leads???

I'd like to buy one that either has Win 7 64bit loaded on there or one that is built by the manufacturer to compatible with Win 7 64bit

Got any leads???
Why???

Netbooks are slow by design, low power consumption requirements. You wouldn't really gain anything with a 64-bit OS.

I want a laptop that is either 11in or 12in screen...but I want it to be as powerful as a regular laptop...with a CD-Rom drive too.

We have the technology...and I want it...so, it's just a matter of finding it!

I just heard about "ultraportables"...so, maybe that's what I need to search for.

Welcome to Windows7Forums.com!
That would be what you're looking for. Or something like an Acer Timeline series. :)

Netbooks will always be limited by processing power, memory, disk I/O, and FSB. It is kind of like making a portable stove. Sure, it can get the job done, but there's only so much you can cook up on it. When looking at a netbook consider these objectives:

Quality of the screen is important. Screen resolution on netbooks with lower screen resolutions may lack substantial quality. Screens that are capable of rendering higher are few and far between, but resolutions like 1080P may be unusable due to the physical size of the screen.

With duel-core Atom processors now available, this will now effectively double processing speed and is recommended. 4GB memory modules for netbooks are becoming possible. With a standard of 2 slots, could give you 8GB, which your underpowered netbook will enjoy.

Forget the super small 7200 RPM hard drives coming with a lot of newer netbooks. Look for solid state hard drives that are compatible and have a better read/write/burst than these drives. Finding all of this in one package will not be easy. Higher end Acer Apire One models came with ATI Radeon HD 4225, but do you really want to run Photoshop on a micro-computer that can lack basic airflow?

Netbooks are not capable of any advanced graphical capability due to the lack of miniaturization in the dedicated graphics market. There have been advancements in on-board Intel display hardware, but that as good as it will go. Dedicated graphics installed on high-end netbooks defeat the purpose of netbooks: Low cost systems that allow you get on the net and author documents on the go. Do not expect to be playing the latest and greatest games on a netbook any time soon, or even be satisfied by doing so.

The Asus Eee PC was revolutionary for its time. Similarly,the Acer Aspire One expanded on this concept. The Dell Mini series was an attempt to jump into and take over this market, but lacked the horsepower and battery life most ussrs were looking for. When Dell first placed the Mini 9, they could not provide a Windows version with 2GB of RAM. This was because contractual arrangements with Microsoft classified any computer with 2GB of RAM or higher as requiring license purchases from manufacturers. Manufacturers could classify their hardware designs as netbook with Microsoft and take benefit of Windows at a reduced cost for so long as the onboard memory as 1GB. This meant Dell could never sell a Mini 9 with Microsoft Windows at the price they were looking at, while also providing 2GB of RAM. To get around this, they started offering Mini 9 N's with Linux. The systems were identical to the Windows versions. At the time, you could have acquired a 2GB Linux-powered Mini 9, upgraded it with a clean install to Windows 7, upgraded the SSD to a higher speed Runcore drive, and enjoyed a reduced cost.

However, when you consider all of the loops and hobbles necessary to do this, a dedicated laptop/notebook is probably the best idea. Outside of what are considered netbooks, Sony has marketed high-end, aesthetically appealing "micro-computers". Similarly, other companies followed suit. Realistically, netbooks are a great way for computer manufacturers to make money on hardware they could never, ever sell in a traditional laptop: slow processors, limited graphics, and almost no RAM. These systems are good for those with little space, a low budget, and want Internet access. They pale in comparison to newer laptops, many of which have adopted a slim, space conservative design.

Netbooks without touch screen technology will be obsoleted by 2013, following the release of Windows 8. The touch screen interface and support is likely to embarrass manufacturers and force them to bring touch-screen or body and hand tracking technology (see: Kinect). While netbooks were hyped early last year, their staying power in the industry is currently in wait.

With the power of ARM processors becoming more apparent, one might want to wait and see what Windows 8 netbooks amd smart devices will have to offer

OK, so it sounds like I need to look for a small laptop that has about a 12in screen.

Don't that have full power laptops, with CD Rom drive in this size?

I am very happy with my netbook. It looks good as a part of the furniture in my apartment... thats all I can say... if I needed to use Microsoft Word in a closet, I might take it out of its perpetual hibernation. That is what Im trying to say. The Dell XPS 1330 had around a 12.5" screen, slim design, and was not a netbook... the netbooks I have seen and used look like they belong in a dwarve's house from Snow White and the Seven Dwarves. After experimenting with them and wasting tons of money on faster hard drives, I realized I was just wasting my time, and an investment in a backpack and a real notebook actually made a lot more sense.

Similarly, the Dell 700M for its time was not a netbook and was one of the best IT technician laptops ever built in the 00's for its compact size and horsepower. :D

a real notebook actually made a lot more sense

That's what I'm wanting...but a small one with a 11 or 12in screen...something a little smaller and lighter than my 14.1 inch screen laptop I have now...

It was purchased back in 2007 and soon I'd like to upgrade.

Yessir, I was having that thought earlier today...

What online retailers should I keep an eye on?

I know about New Eggs, Amazon...any others?

Back