Windows 7 64-bit software installs in (x86) program files folder

ForumFan

hi,

I'm new to the forum, just signed up.

I have a few questions about installing software on 64-bit.
I am running windows 7 ultimate 64-bit and noticed some thing.
Some of the software are installed in the program file (x86) folder, some of them in the program files folder by default.
I made sure that i found and install 64-bit compliant software.

1. Why are 64-bit apps being installed in the (x86) program files folder when they are in fact 32/64-bit versions?
2. When i get prompted to choose the destination folder, can i manually select the program files folder and will it change or compromise windows?

thanks ahead.

ForumFan:
Hello and welcome to the forums.
It's difficult to say exactly what may be at issue here but in some instances you may have to explicitly invoke the 64bit installer. For example I have a copy of Office 2010 Pro Plus which contains both the 32 and 64 bit versions of the Office product available on the same DVD in which case if I explore the DVD I find a x64 and an x86(32bit) folder both of which contain their own autorun.inf and setup.exe files which allow you to install the appropriate version as supported by your architecture.
I suspect that in some instances these types of products default to the 32 bit installer as 32bit systems are probably still the most prevalent or at least were at the time of the product's release.
If you are certain that your software supports 64bit architecture then try inspecting the media and see if your software has seperate installers.
Hope this helps
Thanks for joining our community
Regards
Randy

ForumFan:
Hello and welcome to the forums.
It's difficult to say...

Aha. i do believe that i've noticed both folders in office 2010 pro plus. i got freewares from filehippo.com, freeware and utilities i use on my pc. so they are just .exe files. the freewares are 64-bit compliant, as is indicated on filehippo.com.
i should try to change the destination folder to program files instead of the (x86) program files folder, see what happens.
i hope it doesn't mess up my pc.

Nope, just because a particular software product says it will run (work) on both 32 and 64bit systems does not necessarily mean that it is a 64bit program, as a matter of fact most 32 bit programs will run fine on 64bit systems and while changing the install destination will probably not negatively impact the running of the program, it will also not add 64bit code to a 32 bit program. Generally the Microsoft Installer will handle the installation correctly and add the respective program to the proper program folder.

Nope, just because a particular software product says it will run (work) on both 32 and 64bit systems does not necessarily mean that it is a 64bit program...

ooh rainbow! yeah, now i get it. the difference between being a 64-bit software and 'being able to run on 64-bit system. thanks for clearing that up.

Back