Windows 7 64bit internet works, 32bit fails

benwiser

I recently upgraded from vista home premium 64bit to windows 7 premium 64bit. If I use IE8 under the 64bit, it works fine, however the 32bit web browser keeps telling me I do not have internet connection. Windows 7 troubleshooter says unable to find the problem. I use Webroot Antivirus, have disabled, reinstalled, and still fails. I have read that the clean install may fix the problem, however I downloaded and do not have discs.
Hopefully someone knows a solution or link for this issue. I have looked everywhere and cannot find a solution to fix it.
Thanks

After custom install, all is well now...just a little slow.

Last edited:
same problem

Hi, what exactly did you do that fixed the problem? im having same issue with the 32 bit not connecting but the 64 does. any help would be much appreciated.

thanks
grimace

The both work for me. Actually I have repaced the 64 bit with the 32 bit so I don't have to tweak everytime I want to watch flash medis.

You must have something truned on that's getting in the way. I run pure and clean .. fast and mean .... that protection stuff just gets in the way most of the time.

That's curious. Most complaints seem to be the other way around, - the 64Bit gives problems. We are talking, here, about the browser only, and not the entire 32bit OS?
What happens if you use FireFox, for example?

Have you tried putting IE into compatibility mode?
Flash, as mentioned in the last post, would not prevent connectivity, but would not allow certain websites to pop up. But this would occur, by default, even with Flash installed, only in the 64 Bit, as Adobe are still sitting on their hands programming Flash 64Bit.

Only suggestion for a starter, is, if you have been customising IE, go to the Advanced tab in the tools - internet options, and select the Avanced tab. Then reset the defaults (at the bottom)

I am having the same problem. I made a lengthy post about it in the general support forum. I have found that 64b programs have no problem connecting to the internet, but none of the 32b programs will. you can check this pretty easily if you play alot of games.

Goto the task manager and check the running processes. Everything that is 32b is noted *32. I have not found a solution yet, but I have read in another thread that a custom install may fix the problem.

thanks for the replies! still cant figure this out though so ill give more details.

just purchased the computer yesterday, it is used but has a fresh fully valid oem version of windows 7. the os is 64 bit.

when i first hooked it up it seemed as though i couldnt connect to the internet although windows was telling me i had a connection. i spent 30 minutes on the phone with the internet tech guy and he said he had a connection at his end and could tell my modem was working but we tried to send a ping from my pc and all attempts failed.

he said he had no ideas left so i continued looking around after he hung up and noticed 2 internet explorers one 32bit the other 64, the one on the desktop i had been trying was the 32 bit, i tried the 64bit version and BAM instantly msn webpage pops up. i surfed around a bit to make sure i wasnt just dreaming, i then tried the 32 bit version again and nothing. i went back to 64 and downloaded firefox and tried it, but it too has no connection.

i also downloaded u-torrent and it will not connect to the internet either, normally it will auto setup the connection if you select that option but that option failed claiming there was no connection to be had.

didnt intend to write a novel here but after all that im left with a couple questions:

1. WTF? lol

2. what is done different in a "custom" install that makes it work?

3. is a "custom" install possible in my case? dude who sold it said "it's an oem install, it dont come with a disk". so i dont have a disk.

any ideas would again be much appreciated, im gonna try install eve online and warcraft, if they dont connect to the net imma have me a coniption.

thanks again
grimace

EDIT: installed warcraft and it was firing up and then told me i dont have the updated direct x driver, so i realized windows itself is not connecting to the internet so it thinks i have best drivers, i can dowload anything i have tried from the 64 bit browser (eve online, u-torrent, drivers direct from website) but anything outside of the browser wont connect to the internet (u-torrent, windows driver update search, and of course 32 bit browser).

am i missing a network driver for 32 bit or somethin?

Last edited:
Having the same problem with IE and other 32bit programs

After updating from Vista 64 to WIndows 7 only 64 bit IE and Outlook 2003 can access internet -- other apps ( 32 bit IE, Norton 360 Liveupdate, Quicken Online Update all fail to get internet connectiion/server.

Tired turning off Norton 360 Firewall with no success.

2. what is done different in a "custom" install that makes it work?

Probably get rid of firewalls and Av programs and all the crap that is killing the internet.

EDIT: installed warcraft and it was firing up and then told me i dont have the updated direct x driver, so i realized windows itself is not connecting to the internet so it thinks i have best drivers, i can dowload anything i have tried from the 64 bit browser (eve online, u-torrent, drivers direct from website) but anything outside of the browser wont connect to the internet (u-torrent, windows driver update search, and of course 32 bit browser).
am i missing a network driver for 32 bit or somethin?

More evidence of a firewall.. check your firewall ... even the windows one will allow you to pass through whatever you tell it.

Resolved with clean (custom) install

Resolved my issue with custom (clean install) instead of Updgrade over Vista -- reinstalled all software including Norton 360 and Quicken and all 32 bit programs now have no problem accessing internet.

I solved my problem by doing the custom install on top of the update. It essentially creates a clean in stall by backing up all your files, and settings in a Windows.old file. You can restore them from there.

Back