Windows 7 7 Install keeps blue screening at last step.

darkpowrjd

This is the third time this has happened to me, and I'm hoping there isn't something majorly wrong with something on my comp. I may know the answer, but I want to see if there might be another reason.

Just got Windows 7 today (Home Premium Upgrade 32-bit, doing from Vista), and I've been trying to install it, and it does everything until the very last step (Completing Installation, I think, unless there's a subscreen of steps that I'm forgetting that it does before getting there), and that's when it suddenly crashes to the BSOD, and it's followed by me having to roll back the installation. First time, I thought it might've just been a hiccup, so I've tried a second time, and then a third time, and all three times, it crashes in the exact same place, which leads me to believe something specific that doesn't like W7 is causing it to blue screen.

What I'm thinking it is is what it's saying there might be a conflict with: the ATI Cataclyst Control Center and "ATI Cataclyst Install Manager" (the programs that come with the ATI card driver (Radeon X1300, which AMD said wasn't officially supported in W7, though I'm praying that this is not the worst case scenario: that the video card is completely incompatible. It was updated to latest driver before the third try, and I installed all the possible updates to Windows Vista before the third try, as well)). After I get done posting this, I'm going to try to uninstall the CCC and try to do this again (both the "Check Compatibility" and the Windows Update Wizard both brought that conflict up, along with Dameon Tools Light, iTunes, and Lifecam, though I imagine it would be the video card program that would be the only main issue because the video card has given me some problems in the past...damn ATI card).

UPDATE: Looking at it, I see that Lifecam had the red X beside it. Uninstalled that. Dameon looked to be somewhat of an adware thing (not sure when I installed that), and iTunes has the "recommend you uninstall before installing windows 7" thing (along with the two ATI programs I mentioned), and saying that I can safely reinstall after update.

This is highly frustrating since I've been trying to install this all day and have waited for a few hours per try for it to crash at the last step.

I FINALLY found the Ati drivers that fixed an error message I was getting in my administrator logs... here are two locations to downlod the drivers that fixed my ati card: Win 7 fiinal came out in July.. so a lot of drivers weren't ready then.

Download ATI Catalyst Drivers 9.9 Vista 64 - Technical Details - FileHippo.com
Link Removed - Invalid URL

Also, upgrading is actually such a patchwork of grabbing anything that looks like it's working and duplicating over 1,000 files. I can predict so many problems.

Back
Top Bottom