A matter I would like to bring forth.......

davidhk129

I am having an issue on Tutorial forum.
In most forums, Tutorial section is reserved for well known selected few with the credentials to indicate their expertise. Other members will not have the privilege to post there.
Tutorial section, therefore, enjoys well deserved prestige and trustworthiness. People go there knowing they will get real working solutions.

Not so in this forum. Any john doe can post " tutorials " here.
I have noticed a couple of members posting misinformed or half true "tutorials". One is, in fact, potentially dangerous.

May I ask the administration to reconsider this matter.
Either make it "exclusive" to certain members, or make sure the mods and admins scrutinize the "tutorials" before allowing them to be posted as such.

Thank you.

Last edited:
We would like to give everyone the opportunity to write a tutorial. Often times, this may lead individuals down the wrong path. Unfortunately, we can not go over every single one, but we can try.

I think David has a point. The quality of a forum is very much determined by the quality of their tutorials. Utmost permanent attention to that section is therefor essential.

I think most of you know the forums with excellent tutorials. But they have dedicated senior (MVP level) people managing those. It is not a matter of not letting people post tutorials, but they should be reviewed before they go public.

.......... we can not go over every single one, but we can try.

That tells me the level of priority applied to the Tutorials section.
I look at Tutorials as the measuring stick of the entire Forum organization.
Obviously we don't share the same view.
I have said what I felt obliged to say........ for the good of this Forum.
I shall drop this subject.

Thank you.

As a famous quote goes "Actions reflects leadership"......and there is no leadership to speak of on this forum. With the liberal contentiousness of the 1st amendment of the USA that is spouted by the site owner, which doesn't even apply to a website/forum as to be governed by law of the land is utter nonsense. This is the main reason why I stepped down as a moderator on this forum.

Damnit it David....you got my blood boiling on this subject.....OK...1, 2, 3, 4, 5....breathe....6, 7, 8, 9, 10....breathe....nope didn't work....still pissed off. I so totally agree with you......this should be protected under the free speech clause of this forum....LMAO!!!!

As a famous quote goes "Actions reflects leadership"......and there is no leadership to speak of on this forum. With the liberal contentiousness of the 1st amendment of the USA that is spouted by the site owner, which doesn't even apply to a website/forum as to be governed by law of the land is utter nonsense. This is the main reason why I stepped down as a moderator on this forum.

Damnit it David....you got my blood boiling on this subject.....OK...1, 2, 3, 4, 5....breathe....6, 7, 8, 9, 10....breathe....nope didn't work....still pissed off. I so totally agree with you......this should be protected under the free speech clause of this forum....LMAO!!!!
That is your opinion and that is your choice.

.......... we can not go over every single one, but we can try.

That tells me the level of priority applied to the Tutorials section.
I look at Tutorials as the measuring stick of the entire Forum organization.
Obviously we don't share the same view.
I have said what I felt obliged to say........ for the good of this Forum.
I shall drop this subject.

Thank you.
The tutorials section is an open forum. In the past, I have made many tutorials, a long with others, that you can find at http://www.youtube.com/windows7forums and http://www.youtube.com/windows8forums. Some of these are not as grandiose as you may imagine. And no one is perfect. If this is in regards to you marking one tutorial as spam, due to your security advisory regarding desktop widgets, it was already determined by two administrators not to be spam, but perhaps, ill-advised.

In any case, the question is taken seriously, and we have had to remove absolute junk from the tutorials section before. If you are wondering about the tutorials sections of some OTHER forums, well, it is my understanding some people were asked to write those tutorials, some of whom were Microsoft MVPs, the authorship was transferred out of their name, and they were banned as "persona non grata".

This type of behavior will not happen here, ever. As far as first amendment rights, which were mentioned by @bassfisher6522, this is a thought which compels us in many directions in a public forum. Not, however, the way in which you may think. Your right to free speech and assembly is enumerated in that document, as a natural right, or God-given right. This does not mean you should yell fire in a crowded theatre. To the extent that you follow our Terms of Service, this is our document for what is permissible on this website and not.

It is not an everything goes situation. We are catching and blocking spam, repeatedly, every single day.

Who is " This does not mean you should yell fire in a crowded theatre ? "
Are you accusing me ?

See ya. You'll never hear me yelling fire again.

Wow! Handbags at dawn or what...

Seriously, calm down people.

If you know of a tutorial that is particularly useless or annoying (and I've seen plenty go up) then make a post about it and let's discuss it. I don't disagree with David's intentions and I do think this idea is at least worth discussing in either a meeting or within a thread.

Who is " This does not mean you should yell fire in a crowded theatre ? "
Are you accusing me ?

See ya. You'll never hear me yelling fire again.
That was not the intention of the message. I believe by replying to two people at once you have misinterpreted me. If you look up I was referring to the accusation of a" liberal first amendment agenda" from another poster.

In any case, I think kemical is right. Everyone needs to relax as no one here is intent on judging anything. If at all, you bring up a sound argument that the tutorial section can use improvement.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using WindowsForum mobile app

We will make the entire tutorials section a center piece of our next team meeting.

Reactions: whs
The discussion shows that the topic is being addressed - and that is good. It looks to me like everybody is of good will and is trying to help make the tutorial section better. It would be nice if you could post the result of the discussion at the next team meeting.

We will announce.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using WindowsForum mobile app

Personally I'd like to see some more activity on the tutorials forum but a tutorial takes a lot of time and effort to make (well) and it's all too easy for people to assume that others use the same terms to describe things so that adds a gallery of photos | vids i.e. more time invested.

It's hard deciding what to post about… case in point, wsus is a popular subject around my area with the xp support ending so I was about to make a detailed "how to" except no body showed any interest when I posted the poll in the server forum so, what does the community want to learn about here that FB and Google doesn't already cover?

Personally I'd like to see some more activity on the tutorials forum but a tutorial takes a lot of time and effort to make (well) and it's all too easy for people to assume that others use the same terms to describe things so that adds a gallery of photos | vids i.e. more time invested.

It's hard deciding what to post about… case in point, wsus is a popular subject around my area with the xp support ending so I was about to make a detailed "how to" except no body showed any interest when I posted the poll in the server forum so, what does the community want to learn about here that FB and Google doesn't already cover?
Sometimes little tutorials cover things that are not that obvious but very practical. Here are 2 examples from my stash:

Example 1
Example 2

I like videos. They are less effort and more telling. There are exceptions though if e.g. there are a lot of commands, etc. Then you need supporting text.

This is a completely new format I have tried - narrated Power Point presentation. I think not many people found the time to sit thru the 40 minutes, LOL - But in less time it would have been hard to get all this information across.

Power Point tutorial

Sometimes I make little tutorials quasi 'ad hoc ' because that is the easiest way to explain something. They are usually always videos.

Ad Hoc Example

I'm not allowed to use powerpoint at work but Expression Encoder looks like a nice way to do my sound... downloading it now.

p.s. I assume that 40 mins tutorial needed a little extra time to make which is my real point i.e. time invested needs to be valued.

Cleaning out that section has been a long time coming. There are many threads which are hard to read and could do with consolidating.

Back