Windows 7 Access denied C:\Documents & Settings

Commander_Cool

Hi all, I did a search on this and I cannot find that the problem has been resolved, not in a way that works for me anyway.

Issue: when I try to open C:\Documents & Settings I get "acess denied". This despite that my being logged in as admin.
I mean, I installed Windows 7 RC1 on the machine (and am the only user), before that the computer didn't even know it existed. Now all of a sudden access is denied me...who's gonna grant me access? God? It's so stoopid...

Oh, and another thing - is there a way to preserve programs and settings and transfer this data to a new installation of Windows 7 RTM? I have installed what seems like a Gazillion programs (and every associated setting), utilities, Registry tweaks and what-have-you since I installed Windows 7 RC1. Probably 8-10 hours worth of work. It's not that I don't have the time, it just seems so unnecessary now that almost everything is just the way I want it.

Any and all help is very much appreciated!
my.php

my.php

Hello,

Did you perform an upgrade or a "clean" install.

If the Documents and Settings folder has a lock on it, it cannot be accessed through Windows Explorer no matter what you try.

It's simple a pointer to the c:\users\yourname directory. Nothing to worry about.

As for upgrading, not a good idea at all and may not even be supported.

You want to do a "clean ' install of the final version.

I have over 132 programs installed myself, but it doesn't really matter, I'm doing a "clean" install.

You can export all branches of the registry and save it to a flash drive or external USB.

If you have purchased keys or made some registry tweaks, you can always locate these by using a text editor to open the files.

Re: Acess denied

Hi reghakr and thanks.

You say: "It's simple a pointer to the c:\users\yourname directory. Nothing to worry about." Huh? Howzat?! Whaddaya mean?!! I dont get it, run that by me once more, please.

You also say: "As for upgrading, not a good idea at all and may not even be supported. You want to do a "clean ' install of the final version. I have over 132 programs installed myself, but it doesn't really matter, I'm doing a "clean" install."

That I understand, and I suspected that there was no quick fix. Oh, well - a 'clean slate' is always a good idea.

(“The truth will set you free, but first it will make you miserable.â€Â￾
- James A. Garfield, President – 1831-1881)

"You can export all branches of the registry and save it to a flash drive or external USB. If you have purchased keys or made some registry tweaks, you can always locate these by using a text editor to open the files."

Right. Gotcha. But plz set me straight on the access thing. Thanks again :cool:

I used a alternate Windows Explorer replacement called Surf which allows you access to these "locked" directories.

The folders underneath the Documents and Settings folder are

IUSR_MNPR
Jim (my username
Public

These exact same thing as I stated earlier.....a pointer to the C:\users directory.

Why it's there, I have no clue.

Yes, fine, but I have an aversion to using third-party utilities. Besides, one shouldn't have to 'work around' not having access to a folder on ones own PC, it's...maddening, goes against all reason. There's got to be a straight-forward way of correcting this. But thanks :cool:

I understand what you mean but Microsoft has chosen not to allow access to certain folder.

Go to C:\users]yourusername, and try double-clicking on any entry with an arrow as an icon.

What upsets me is that I can't add my own program shortcuts to the Send To folder.

That's why I have to use Surf to accomplish this.

I understand what you mean but Microsoft has chosen not to allow access to certain folder.

Yeah, I guess. I wonder what the reasoning behind that goes like. Seems to me that MS has no business allowing or denying their customers access to folders. Hmm...it's enough to make you want to switch to Linux.
Thanks for your advice, reghakr.

"Yeah, I guess. I wonder what the reasoning behind that goes like. Seems to me that MS has no business allowing or denying their customers access to folders. Hmm...it's enough to make you want to switch to Linux."

Rather unfair to Microsoft in this instance!

Documents and settings is what is known as a junction. It is there, together with the other similar folders, for backward compatibility purposes, so that third party programs can detect an install in those folders which they are able to recognise. The junction then transfers the data to the new folders. As such, they are really only shortcuts, and not true folders. Backward compatibility is one of the most applauded new features of 7. WQe should not knowck it.

If you accept the defaults in the folder options, which are defaulted for these reasons, you should not be able to see them and they would not, perhaps, then give any cause for concern ( Do not show hidden ...etc).

Fwiw. To gain access, and use these folders, which can easily be done by messing with the security options on the folders, can lead to misery, I promise you. You will immediately find you are getting duplicates and false references to anything you use, or copy, to those folders.

Last edited:
Hands off my bought-and-paid-for OS

Sure, you have a point, friend. But I still feel competent enough, after using computers since the early 80's, professionally as well as for play and learning, to navigate the file system of Windows without restraints imposed by Microsoft, thank you very much.

After all it's not as if it was rocket science.

BillG et al's condescending attitude toward their customers makes me want to apply attitude adjustment on the top of their pointy little heads, but hard. :mad:

I think you should look at the bigger picture. You may well be competent, where the other 90% of users are not. They are just that "users".
Your own statement "Yeah, I guess. I wonder what the reasoning behind that goes like. Seems to me that MS has no business allowing or denying their customers access to folders.", would appear to indicate that maybe there are reasons for certain actions, of which you are not aware. The "junction" feature has been in the Microsoft OS since the very first VISTA Beta, with masses of fedback.

...maybe there are reasons for certain actions, of which you are not aware.
That may be true. It is also probably true that 90% of users are not competent.
But that's neither here nor there, that's entirely beside my point which is: if I fiddle with my OS and somehow screw it up, then I am the only one affected.
I may have to reinstall, perhaps less drastic measures will suffice to rectify things, but it's still my funeral.
What I do, and any resulting negative consequences, do not affect anyone but...me.
'See what I mean, jellybean? :)

I dont know what the reference to a "Jellbean" is, but it sounds a little insulting, so I'll leave you in peace to ponder on the advantages of Linux.

I dont know what the reference to a "Jellbean" is, but it sounds a little insulting, so I'll leave you in peace to ponder on the advantages of Linux.
No, no my friend - I said Jellybean and there is absolutely nothing insulting about it. It's like something that playful kids would say between themselves to simply find out if the other 'got it'.
Jellybeans are a form of candy, made famous by Ronald Reagan during his Presidency - he never left home w/o a supply ;)
No, no insult there; on the contrary I have enjoyed our exchange. You possess a gift rare among Netizens, namely a firm grasp on the English language and, like I said, it's been a pleasure exchanging viewpoints with you. Really! :)

That is a deeply gratifying response and I thank you for the comment.
No bad feeliings on this side. Even in argument, I feel we all learn a little more.

Re: Hands off my bought-and-paid-for OS

The fix is how you have seen just about every post explain it except for one small catch. If ‘Everyone’ is posted in the ‘Group and user name window’ and is checked to Deny, this denial will over ride all other permissions listed, even ‘Administrator’.

The fix: Go to the ‘Documents and Settings Properties’. Click on the ‘Security Tap’. In the 'Group or user name window' highlight ‘Everyone’, click the ‘Remove’ Button and then the ‘Apply’ Button.

If you get an Error message you need to create permission for yourself first. You can get instructions here.
How do I change folder and file Permissions? - Microsoft Answers

Re: Hands off my bought-and-paid-for OS

Hi Majorx
I suggest you check the date of the previous posts. The original post was thoroughly dealt with and I would say the thread is now abandoned.

Back