Windows 7 Activate Windows 7 with a "lower" key.

Wizkid

Hello,

I got the 30-day trial RTM version of Windows 7, however now, 30 days later I have to enter an activation code. Through MSDNAA I can get an Windows 7 x64 Professional key, but when I enter it it says it doesn't work because this is Ultimate. Is there a way to enter that key anyhow without having to reinstall on Professional?

Thanks alot,

Niels Hendriks

The version Windows 7 installs is based on the key. You can get the MSDNAA key and validate the professional version. If you still want to go to Ultimate then you can do the Microsoft Anytime Upgrade to go from Pro to Ultimate which should be around 100.00. Ultimate doesn't give you many more features then Pro.

Link Removed due to 404 Error

Hello,

Thanks for your reply,

However I cannot do this: Windows 7 Ultimate has already been installed for 30 days, and it now wants the product key for Windows 7 Ultimate, it doesn't accept any other key. Is there a workaround to still get the possibility to insert the Professional key?

Thanks,

Niels Hendriks

No - there isn't.

Otherwise everyone would install Ultimate from the dvd - then use the much cheaper keys from other Editions.

Hello,

Thanks for your reply,

However I cannot do this: Windows 7 Ultimate has already been installed for 30 days, and it now wants the product key for Windows 7 Ultimate, it doesn't accept any other key. Is there a workaround to still get the possibility to insert the Professional key?

Thanks,

Niels Hendriks

Try rearm to get 30 more days.. you can do it 3 times.

Microsoft provided the rearm option... and allowed it to be used 3 times. They also included a "skiprarm" key in the registry that can be used in conjunction with rearm... but the results appear to be randomized.

Back