Activation key error

Have a Lenovo 50-80 that came with win8, did the upgrade to win 10, later got a notice to update win10 and the thing just died.
I like win7 as it runs all my goodies just fine, so I replaced the hd with a ssd, loaded it with win7 ultimate boxed version, when I tried to register it I got this error code 0xC004C008. :( What is the easiest way to fix the problem. craig73

nmsuk

Windows Forum Admin
Staff member
Premium Supporter
Try to use thea activate by phone method and give them the key and proof of purchase and they get you activated

Last edited:

Neemobeer

Windows Forum Team
Staff member
Is this a legitimate key you own. This error means that key has been activated too many times

nmsuk

Windows Forum Admin
Staff member
Premium Supporter
They do mention boxed copy. Though have seen fake boxed versions.

Neemobeer

Windows Forum Team
Staff member
Yes plus different versions have limited rearm counts or keys that are widely used can be revoked by MS

I have another question, is there somewhere on my pc that tells me if the key was activated. (on this pc) As I may have entered it to auto file?

Neemobeer

Windows Forum Team
Staff member
From a command prompt type slmgr /dlv post a screenshot here.

Checked using right click computer, properties, wasn't activated automatically, trying to get in touch with vender whom I bought it from, if they can't supply me with another copy I will be asking for a refund via Ebay or paypal thanks for all the help Craig

Neemobeer

Windows Forum Team
Staff member
the slmgr output will tell us if it's at least a valid key

It states,"cannot be used to activate win on this pc." I contacted vendor and they sent me a key which verified the fact this was not a"virgin" disc, asked for refund and they have agreed, so now I have a copy of win7 ultimate and no key to register it, can I buy a key from Microsoft?? thanks Craig

This website is not affiliated, owned, or endorsed by Microsoft Corporation. It is a member of the Microsoft Partner Program.