Windows 7 Ad Hoc issues

Starkman

Hello all,

Brand new user here.

Trying to ad Hoc between a laptop with Win7 Startup and a home-build with Win7 Home Premium. I finally got each to see each other; however, all I can get to show in the Network icon of each system is C:\Users. In there I have Default and Default User (no Public by choice), but I cannot add files to either of these - access not granted. I am "admin" for both systems, and full access shows on each for these folders.

I assume it is normal to initally see only these folders via ad hoc, but isn't complete access, or darned near complete access, possible via ad hoc? I mean, I do not want to have to transfer huge folders into these just to transfer from one system to another. I'd much rather just directly access the folders/files in question and transfer that way.

So, any ideas what I need to do to a) gain more access to the each system's folders, and
b) gain permission status to the ones I've noted?

Laptop is a Toshiba Sat, very (VERY low end...like, 1 GHz!)

The home-built:
Nzxt Technologies USB 3.0 Tempest 410 Steel Mid Tower
Intel i3 core 3.3 GHz
ASUS P8Z77-V LE LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0
EVGA 01G-P4-2650-KR GeForce GTX 650 1GB 128-bit GDDR5
GeIL Black Dragon 16GB DR3 1600
WD AV-GP 500 GB AV Hard Drive (SATA II)
Lite-On Super AllWrite 24X Sata Dvd+/-RW Dual Layer IHAS124-4
SeaSonic M12II 620w ATX SLI Ready 80 Bronze PFC
Win7 Home Premium 64bit

Greatly appreciate your help,

Starkman

UPDATE!

Okay, I think I got it working, at least the ability to transfer files from the "Default" folder under C:\Users; I had to set the Users folder's permissions for "Everyone," "SYSTEM," "Administrators (STARKMAN-DESK\administrators)," and "Users (STARKMAN-DESK\users)" to Full Control. Thus, two questions:

a) is this normal? In other words, for ad hocing, are all of these required to be set to Full Control?

b) is there any way to access more of the system folders on each system via ad hoc?

Thanks again,

Starkman

You might find it much more straight forward to set up an ftp client/server network using you ad hoc connection. FTP is the industry standard for file transfer and is also the most powerful and efficient solution. There are many freeware ftp systems available, one of the most popular being filezilla:

FileZilla - The free FTP solution

You might find it much more straight forward to set up an ftp client/server network using you ad hoc connection. FTP is the industry standard for file transfer and is also the most powerful and efficient solution. There are many freeware ftp systems available, one of the most popular being filezilla:

FileZilla - The free FTP solution

Well, I'm working with Win7 Home Prem, so I hope their won't be any "networking" limitations, which this version of 7 has. However, that does sound like a good idea, so I think I'll check into it.

On another note, I did figure out how to gain access to other folders on my systems: ensure that "Everyone," under the Security tab of the Properties of the folder/file exists and is set to full control.

Thanks much,

Starkman

Back