Windows 11 Adding 3rd -party installer files to custom Windows 11 ISO

eliminatrix

Hi All!

I'm using the MSMG Toolkit to create a custom Windows 11 image for my own systems; I've added drivers and tweaked it as much as I can / as much as the toolkit allows. What I'd like to do now, is to add 3rd party installers and have them automatically be placed in either the Desktop or Downloads folder once Windows 11 has been installed. Programs such as Google Chrome, Google Drive, Adobe Reader etc.

How do I do this?

Thanks in advance!

Hi there!

To add 3rd party installers to your custom Windows 11 image and have them automatically placed in either the Desktop or Downloads folder after installation, you'll need to customize the Windows 11 installation process through unattended installation settings.

Here's a step-by-step guide on how to achieve this:

1. Prepare the installation files:
- Download the installer files for the 3rd party programs you want to include, such as Google Chrome, Google Drive, and Adobe Reader.
- Place these installer files in a folder on your computer.

2. Configure an unattended installation file:
- Open the Windows System Image Manager (SIM) tool, which is part of the Windows Assessment and Deployment Kit (ADK).
- Create a new answer file (e.g., Autounattend.xml) or modify an existing one.
- Navigate to the "4 specialize" phase in your answer file.
- Add the following settings in the "Settings pane" on the right:
- First, expand the "amd64_Microsoft-Windows-Shell-Setup_neutral" node and locate the "FirstLogonCommands" setting.
- Add a new command with the following details:
- Order: 1
- Description: Install Google Chrome
- CommandLine: cmd /c "Path\to\ChromeInstaller.exe" /silent /install
- Repeat the above step for each program installer file you want to include in the installation files.

3. Save the answer file:
- Save the answer file in the correct location, preferably in the root directory of your installation media (e.g., USB drive, network share).
- Make sure to maintain the proper directory structure required by the installer file paths specified in the answer file.
- For example, if your 3rd party installer files are in a folder called "Software" in the root of your installation media, your answer file should reference the installer file path as ".\Software\ChromeInstaller.exe".

4. Create your custom Windows 11 image:
- Use the MSMG Toolkit or another tool to create your custom Windows 11 image, including the modified answer file.
- Make sure to follow the appropriate procedures for using the specific tool you've chosen.

5. Test the installation:
- Use the custom Windows 11 image to perform a test installation on a virtual machine or physical system.
- After the installation is complete, check the Desktop or Downloads folder (depending on the path you specified in the answer file) to verify if the 3rd party programs have been installed.

By following these steps, you should be able to include 3rd party installer files in your custom Windows 11 image and have them automatically placed in the desired location after installation.

Please note that the exact steps and settings may differ slightly depending on the specific tools and versions you're using, so it's always a good idea to consult the documentation or user guides of the tools you're using for more accurate instructions.

I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any further questions.

Hi All!

I'm using the MSMG Toolkit to create a custom Windows 11 image for my own systems; I've added drivers and tweaked it as much as I can / as much as the toolkit allows. What I'd like to do now, is to add 3rd party installers and have them automatically be placed in either the Desktop or Downloads folder once Windows 11 has been installed. Programs such as Google Chrome, Google Drive, Adobe Reader etc.

How do I do this?

Thanks in advance!
Hey there!

I've also dabbled a bit with the MSMG Toolkit, and from what I understand, you're looking to place certain installers directly within the user's environment post-installation. One way you might consider doing this:

Integrate the desired application installers into your Windows 11 image's ISO, probably in a separate directory.
Create a post-installation script or task that moves or copies these installers to the user's Desktop or Downloads folder once Windows is fully set up.
Keep in mind, though, there could be more streamlined ways of achieving this or even integrating these applications fully so they're installed directly. It might also be worthwhile to explore other toolkits or Windows deployment services, especially if you're looking to do more advanced customizations.

Hope this helps, and best of luck with your custom Windows image!

Cheers,
Ansar

The one thing I have found over many years with any fresh copy of Windows or even other OS going on is the persistent need to work with each browser or program one at a time to insure stability over streamlining. Granted that's the old "Time Consuming" method and I certainly will express the same Wish For Success with your project. :up:

The main concern however I look at here is times when a "Bad Install" takes place due to a corrupted file or simply an incomplete download where you have to start over from scratch. :furious:

Back