Windows 7 Administrator password and privileges

Vlodec

I've just installed Windows 7 x64 Home Premium and it's a nightmare thanks to UAC. Things have finally come to a head now I've tried to delete a folder in Windows.Old only to be told I require permission from administrators. Things is, I'm the only user of this machine. I AM the administrator, or so I thought. Anyway, to cut a long story short I finally managed to bring up the actual Administrator account but find I can't log in to it because it requires a password. As I never supplied a password when I installed Win 7 I'm completely confounded by this. How on earth do I fix this problem ?

Thanks for the link, but the fundamental problem of the Administrator password remains. How on earth can there be a password when I didn't set one, and how can I fix it ? Does it imply a clean re-install of Windows ?

Let's proceed step-by-step:

1) Could you delete windows.old with disk cleanup ?
2)
but the fundamental problem of the Administrator password remains. How on earth can there be a password when I didn't set one, and how can I fix it ?
Have you tried to take ownership of windows.old, right-click the Windows.old folder, select Properties > Security Tab > Advanced at the bottom > Owner Tab > Edit > Highlight your username and put a tick in ‘Replace owner on subcontainers…’ and Apply > OK. ?

Back
Top Bottom