Windows 8 Adobe Flash 14 % CPU time?

Saltgrass

Excellent Member
Microsoft Community Contributor
I was on a thread and my system slowed down and became almost unusable. I checked Task Manger and it showed Adobe flash as taking 14 % CPU time.

This is Firefox, so I ended the task for Adobe Flash Player and the system went back to normal. The Advertising in the large boxes disappeared and left a Plugin needed type of message.

Since this is the first time I have noticed this behavior, anyone know what might be going on?

Adobe flash is your default player for that media file type would be my first idea… do you perhaps not use it (flash) much?

It might have been a situation with one particular advertisement. I don't know how those things are set up, but some part of the process seemed to make flash go crazy.

Things have been back to normal since that incident..

Thanks for the response.

In firefox (and IE) you can show the manu bar by pressing the [alt] key.

From here you have some good options, in any order;

1. [help] + [About Firefox] will check that your browser is up to date.

2. [help] + [Firefox health report] will show you what has been going on with your browser.

3. [Tools] + [options] then click the [Applications] tab to see what file types shockwave is set to open… in most cases this should only be SWF files and movies but it could also just have a firewall trying to scan the file before Adobe can get to it.

4. When all else fails, you can [help] + [Troubleshooting Information]… there should now be a {reset firefox} button on the top right of this page which will take you back to a standard firefox install with no add-ons enabled.

Thanks for the reply, but I don't really need to troubleshoot. I know what was wrong... Hopefully the Admins will be watching closely in case any other errant ads show up.

Back