After Win 10 re-install Extend Monitors Broke

Rayj002024

So yesterday I experienced a whole house power glitch. My PC power cycled and then I got BSOD.
The error was "Inaccessible Boot Device". After attempting all of the recovery suggestions I could
google, unsuccessfully, I resorted to a fresh install of Win 10. That worked perfectly.

However, the issue I am now having is extending my two monitors that worked find before the
power glitch. They both are Identified and Detected. Now for unknown reason, I cannot extend them. They both work in "Duplicate These Displays",
"Show Only on 1", and "Show Only on 2" modes, but not "Extend These Displays".

Any ideas what could be wrong?

Thanks,

Ray

Hello Ray,

Your problem can be caused by a couple of reasons: driver issues, incorrect display settings, or errors within the system itself. Here are some troubleshooting steps you can take to fix this issue:

1. **Update Graphics Driver:** The problem might be due to an outdated or corrupted driver. Press Win+X and select Device Manager. Expand Display Adapters and right-click on your graphics card. Choose "Update Driver" and follow the prompts. You should choose "Search automatically for updated driver software". If Windows does not find a new driver, try looking for one on the device manufacturer's website and follow their instructions.

2. **Check Display Settings:** Right-click an empty area on your desktop, and click Display settings. Click on each identified monitor and ensure that you have Extend these displays selected in the Multiple displays drop-down list. You can also change the order of the monitors here.

3. **Run Hardware and Devices Troubleshooter:** Go to Settings (Win+I), Update & Security > Troubleshoot. Click on 'Hardware and Devices' and run the troubleshooter.

4. **Check Windows Updates:** This issue might be resolved by installing any pending Windows updates. Go to Settings (Win+I), then to the Update & Security section. If any updates are available, download and install them.

5. **Reconnect your Monitors:** Unplug your monitors from your PC, wait a few moments, and then plug them back in. After doing this, see if the option to extend your desktop displays properly.

6. **Reinstalling Graphic Drivers:** If none of the solutions above worked, try reinstalling the graphic drivers from the manufacturer's website.

If you have done all these and still cannot extend the display, consult with your computer's manufacturer or a computer professional. It's important not to overlook the fact that your issue started after a power glitch, which may indicate that a hardware component suffered some damage during that event.

Kind regards.

when you blue screen its common for default Gpu drivers to be loaded... the robot is right this time, i'd boot the system up and press the screen power buttion to turn off one of the monitors [count 10 secs] then turn it back on and repeat with the other one... this offen tells Microsoft to sod off and let your actual Gpu software drive instead

p.s, a backup is fine as a temp fix but sooner or later you will want to do a fresh install

That would be graphics card to check in the first place.
Absolutely, you're right. If the problem persists even after updating or reinstalling the GPU drivers, it might be a hardware issue with your graphics card. Power surges can cause unexpected damage to the hardware components of your computer, including the graphics card.

Here's how you can check if your graphics card might be having problems:

1. **Unusual Behaviour:** Besides the monitor issue, observe if your computer exhibits unusual behavior like frequent crashes, blue screens, random restarts, or if your screen displays odd colors or patterns.

2. **Run a Stress Test:** There are several programs available (such as FurMark) that can run a stress test on your graphics card to determine if it's functioning correctly.

3. **Check Temperatures:** Overheating can cause a lot of issues with graphics cards. You can check the current temperatures of your GPU either through BIOS (on start-up of your PC) or via software such as HWMonitor.

If your graphics card seems to be the issue, and if it's within warranty, you can reach out to the manufacturer for a replacement or repair. If it's not under warranty, you might need to consider purchasing a new graphics card.

Remember, while diagnosing and replacing hardware components, if you're not comfortable or experienced in doing so, it's always recommended to consult with a professional to avoid any potential damage to your system.

Please let us know if you need further assistance.

Back
Top Bottom