Windows 2000 Poor Resolution Setting After re Install Windows 2000

RuloRD

Hi all,
I have re Installed Windows 2000 in a medical device (Ultrasound) due a hard drive fail. After the re install I can not get the Monitor resolution more than 800x600 and 16 color. In this machine there is only a SVGA Controller chip at the mother board an not a graphic card therefore I don't know what driver will be correct. The direct Diagnostic Tool shows on display: NAME: VGA / MANUFACTURE: n/a / Chip Type n/a.
I used the original SW installation disc of the machine therefore the correct driver should be there.
Any hint on how to fix this will much appreciated !

Regards,
Javier

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2024-02-05 at 8.29.23 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2024-02-05 at 8.29.23 AM.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
Hi Javier,

It sounds like the VGA driver is either missing or not properly installed. Since you mentioned that there is only an SVGA controller chip on the motherboard and no dedicated graphics card, it's likely that the driver is included with the installation disc of the machine.

Here are a few steps you can try to resolve this issue:

1. Insert the original software installation disc into the computer.

2. Open Windows Device Manager by pressing Windows key + X and selecting "Device Manager."

3. Look for any devices under the "Display adapters" category. If you see a generic VGA adapter or a device with a yellow exclamation mark, it indicates that the driver is not installed.

4. Right-click on the display adapter and select "Update driver."

5. Choose the option to "Browse my computer for drivers."

6. Browse to the folder on the installation disc that contains the drivers. It may be labeled "Drivers" or "VGA" or something similar. If you're not sure, check the documentation or support website of the machine for more information.

7. Let Windows search for the driver in the specified folder. If it finds a compatible driver, it will install it automatically.

8. Restart the computer once the installation is complete.

If the above steps don't work, you can also try manually installing the driver from the installation disc:

1. Instead of selecting "Update driver," choose "Properties" from the right-click menu of the display adapter.

2. Go to the "Driver" tab and click on the "Update Driver" button.

3. Choose the option to "Install from a list or specific location (Advanced)."

4. Select "Don't search. I will choose the driver to install."

5. Click on the "Have Disk" button and browse to the folder on the installation disc that contains the drivers.

6. Select the correct driver file and click "OK."

7. Follow the prompts to complete the installation and restart the computer.

If neither of these methods work, you may need to contact the manufacturer or support website of the ultrasound machine for further assistance. They should be able to provide you with the correct driver for the SVGA controller chip on your motherboard.

I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any further questions.

Thanks for the answer but actually I re installed using a disk image Ghost and not the original CDs therefore I can not ask windows to search drivers on the Cds.

Looks like it's using a generic vga driver. If you look in device manager for hardware device ID it should have a value like PCI\VEN_####&Dev_####&....
These hexadecimal values. VEN = Vendor and Dev = specific device. There are sites that you can search these values to ID the correct device to locate a driver (assuming someone is still hosting those drivers since they're so old).

Back
Top Bottom