Windows Vista Again, Why don't people like vista? High memory users only

I hear ya- It's not that I like W7 just because it looks nice... honestly, i want an OS that works the way its supposed to. Manageable from an admin pov (tweak and adjust as needed) - and lastly.. a stable platform that isn't going to crash constantly. So far as my experience with 7, its been very good... my attempts to disrupt it, just for the sake, have for the most part swayed my decision to liking it. Even in beta, its been running solidly with the occasional quirk here and there but not major enough to make me uninstall. the fact that its visually appealing just sweetens the pot for me.

Well here is a giggle for the Vista haters reading this thread!
Just got this from Microsoft in my Email.
" the Windows Feedback Program is your chance to directly influence future versions of the Windows operating system. If you send us automated feedback for at least three months and participate in surveys, you will receive a free version of Windows Vista® or Office Ultimate 2007®. To join in, please send email to "

I believe the second prize is two copies of Vista -lol.

Well here is a giggle for the Vista haters reading this thread!
Just got this from Microsoft in my Email.
\" the Windows Feedback Program is your chance to directly influence future versions of the Windows operating system. If you send us automated feedback for at least three months and participate in surveys, you will receive a free version of Windows Vista® or Office Ultimate 2007®. To join in, please send email to \"

I believe the second prize is two copies of Vista -lol.

He he . I had my moments in the early days of Vista . It could be glitchy and you could experiance threshing etc .
Once they bought out the first service pack which seemed a long time coming things settled down .
Thing I notice most about win7 is it works fine and its still a beta !
Compatibility with Vista was a big issue most software seemed to be playing catchup with vista .
Win7 will have winXP compatibility mode so no more worries about that ;)
A stroke of genius !
Vista got better windows 7 is already that :)

Yes Woosh. I just put it in for a bit of a lame joke!
I, like yourself, have no probs with Vista.

Good stuff :)

I just wonder when MS do get around to a service pack for windows 7 what more will they have to offer ? Win7 can only get beter :)
Windows 8 is already in the wings too .
MS are giving Linux a scare for sure dont think Linux are not aware of the buzz around windows 7 :) The future for windows looks very bright now .

Last edited:
This might interst you. It is what I have been aguing since the conception of Windows 7. If you customise Vista and clean it up , it can definitely come a close second to 7, and sometimes do better. I realise this benchmark is confined to a limited number of situations, but is a good baseline for comparing. Certainly, on my oldest machine, a Laptop, my Vista installation can easily compete with 7. I still maintain the opinion that Microsoft have fine tuned Vista and rebadged it. I have no complaints with that (business) policy.
Windows 7 RC 32-bit vs. Vista SP1 32-bit - Gaming shootout | Hardware 2.0 | ZDNet.com

This might interst you. It is what I have been aguing since the conception of Windows 7. If you customise Vista and clean it up , it can definitely come a close second to 7, and sometimes do better. I realise this benchmark is confined to a limited number of situations, but is a good baseline for comparing. Certainly, on my oldest machine, a Laptop, my Vista installation can easily compete with 7. I still maintain the opinion that Microsoft have fine tuned Vista and rebadged it. I have no complaints with that (business) policy.
Windows 7 RC 32-bit vs. Vista SP1 32-bit - Gaming shootout | Hardware 2.0 | ZDNet.com

You have made a good point . Very close performance wise . I have myself run versions of Vista that have been stable and run super fine . Vista Eternity was a great modified OS . Came on two dvds :)
Stable and without a problem run on my system for over a year .
Only came away from that because windows 7 is new and need to see what is going on . Lot is going on .

Anyone still doubtful? here is another load:
Link Removed - Invalid URL

Yes both have good scores and windows 7 has a slight handicap in that there are not that many dedicated windows 7 hardware items out there has yes and drivers etc . I do think in the long run windows 7 will come out the better speed wise and so on . For now it is pretty much neck too neck :)

I am going to put off any idea of buying new hardware till win7 has settled in and see what emerges in the shops :)

Last edited:
I also have a pc with 2GB ram.
the main reason was the very slow booting and the extreme slow filecopy.

it startes at 20MB/S and in 30 seconds it is back to 5MB/S.
and then i keeps hanging arround 4MB/S

On windows 7, i copy with 18MB/S to the same external hard drive.

I also need to use virtual pc a lot for school, and that needs some ram. But when i gave both the virtual server 512MB ram, vista started to hang (and it still had 1GB ram)

I simply had lot of problems with the file copying, slow booting and the application hangs.
Also firefox simply hung for 30 seconds before continuning opening the website.

So no vista for me, simply W7!

Anyone still doubtful? here is another:

- Autocad doesn't work. I installed APM Graph LV and eMachineShops free CADprograms.
- Mostly I have managed with WinXP device drivers in my environment.
- My rather expensive dualhead video card works, but there is some funny problems. For example the DVD burner of Win7 doesn't work, because my video card is not compatible with DirectX. LOL.
- I'm running without any antivirus prog, because the system went to bluescreen many times per day (TDX.SYS) if I had AVG, AVIRA or AVAST. F-S works, but eats about 100MB of RAM and 500Mips making all HD and NET transactions S-L-O-W.

- The GUI of Win7 is poor. Everything looks like seen through a nylon stockings. The colours of icons are so low contrast and poorly designed, that it is impossible to find which slab in Quick Launch is which. It might be possible to change them in one PC, but having about 2000 PC under my hands, I would appreciate, if it was right in the beginning.

I used a tweaked version of Vista so I don't know if my expiriences would be the same as anybody elses, but the problem with Vista for me was Explorer load times. It took significantly longer to open a folder containing a lot in Vista, then in Xp or Se7en.

Are these past vista complaints or is there a valid reason?
Windows 7 is nice but PR for vista I think at present is getting a bad rap while windows 7 is over hyped. What do you think?

I think Vista's over-PR along with high prices for it are the reasons for Vista's bad rep. There are lots of issues too, go to microsoft technet forums. So many users choose XP for its faster speed and better compatibility.

I myself use Vista x64 and 7 x 64, but I think I miss XP sometimes.

I have since my recent experiences of Windows 7 gone off Vista totally . Windows 7 is so much faster and ergonomically designed .
It blows Win Vista away for speed . I could never go back to Vista after Windows 7 :rolleyes:

Vista just got a bad rap from day 1. You hear "supposed" techies saying it uses too many resources... How many actual day to day users look at the cpu usage or how much memory has been used. I never did.

I loved vista but I like Win 7 better it is a step forward.

Vista just got a bad rap from day 1. You hear "supposed" techies saying it uses too many resources... How many actual day to day users look at the cpu usage or how much memory has been used. I never did.

I loved vista but I like Win 7 better it is a step forward.

Ditto.....

I have to agree with many of your points especially the MS bashing.. I find it quite funny at times when I see/hear bashing MS.. I often wonder if they realised that without microsoft there would be no direct X, so the games market would be....well like linux (sorry linux users)..Non existant. Seriously though I think we have far more to thank ms for than to bash them...(IMO)

Last edited:
I've used vista64 since right before SP1, and I've loved it. I however cannot stand the 32bit of vista and it seems it runs slower? Plus....why the hell would you use a 32bit OS on a 64bit processor...that's just hanging onto the past and bottlenecking your potential.
The only issues I've had with vista that kinda piss me off:
1) The fact that the folder views never like to stay when I click "apply to all folders".
2) My monitor would flash on/off sometimes randomly thanks to a weird addon to VISTA which recovers the display driver everytime it crashes? Problem is, I rarely if EVER have the problem when AERO is disabled. Seems to happen more frequent with AERO enabled.
3) Disk management doesn't allow for FAT32 formatting by user demand. Reason being I needed to format a PS3 HDD, and PS3's don't use NTFS for some odd reason... (heard rumors of microsoft copyrighting ntfs file structure?)
4) Can only turn hibernation on/off by command prompt.
5) Videos seem to play with a little lag to them.
Otherwise, I love it, and it is definitely the most stable OS by windows I've experienced. I've never had it crash on me in 2 years.

Windows 7 I tried and seen a little performance gain, but the visuals seemed horrible compared to vista's sleek and uniform design. Win 7 seems out of place visually, but it was more organized in terms of options. Compatibility is obviously a big issue as it was just released not too long ago, and the bugs are there as it is a beta, so I still believe vista is far better at this point in time.

People are just retarded and need to learn for themselves instead of going with the public opinion. I remember the same thing happened when switching to XP as everyone was bitching about its requirements and its incompatibility with old ass programs. XP was always hideous and full of issues anyhow til the multiple service packs. People like to idolize it now because they are afraid of the visual change with vista.

People want a sleek OS with many features. Problem was, apple is providing the eye candy, while microsoft provided this egg plant green theme with an os with issues. (XP). Microsoft seen this and created vista to try and stop the pro IPOD brainwashed apple nutheads from buying useless expensive apple computers, but ultimately they needed to test vista more before they released it.

IMHO win 7 should've been a vista SP, since it is basically a optimized rebadged vista... and im sure i'll be flammmed by pro-apple pro-win7 people as expected lol. Sorry, I just like reliable, useful computers.

Back