Windows 7 All my user profile folders are gone and all info missing

veener79

I was trying to get into a hidden subfolder to delete a file from a old program. It asked for admin personon's. I hit OK and it look about 10min for windows to update the folder. The problem is that after that now all my folders in my profile are gone. My music, pictures, and everything. I rebooted and loged back in but they are still all gone. How can I my profile folders back?

Thank you for your help. I know there is just something I need to uncheck. I can see that all the information is still in my laptop because checking my HD space I see that nothing was deleted since I have over 50gigs of music.

Hi

Just on the off chance look in the Recycle Bin.

Do you have a restore point before you made the changes?
If so try that.

I removed the regsvr32 mydocs.dll suggestion because I don't think that works in Windows 7, at least it wouldn't on my computer.

Mike

Last edited:
This is getting even more messed up. I did a restore. All my files showed up for about for about 2-3mins and then they all went away again. I could not view them in explorer but I could in Media player. Then all of a sudden the files went away in media player. I was even able to play music and view the pictures for those first few minutes.

I do not have anything in my recycle bin. But I did have this box come up and I had it before the restore. I think this might be the issue but not sure how to fix it.

Catalyst Control Centre: Host application has stopped working. Windows is checking for a solution to the problem.

The box then goes away and so did all my files.

Hi

Catalyst Control center has to do with your ATI video card settings.
I don't see how it could be related to your problem.

I've looked for "How do I restore "My Pictures" folder and I'm not having a lot of luck.

You may need to do a Windows repair install.
The problems is that if you have service pack 1 installed then you have to remove it before you can do that.
It used to be so easy.

A repair install should not remove any of your files, just replace the windows files.

Before you do that try in the run box type.... Scf /scannow
This restores system files.

Maybe it will get things back to the way it was.

Mike

When I try to run Scf/scannow i am getting a error that it can not be found. :(

Also just wondering since I know the files are on my laptop is there a way I can setup a new profile to get to them and save them to a external HD I have?

OK good news. I went back anouther restore and got things to mostly work. After doing that this finaly worked a little.

Control panel and select Folder Options.

Select View.

Select Show hidden files, folder and drives.

Now after this all the items that where missing are now showing but they are grayed out but I can select them. So I am feeling a little better now.

This is the weird part. I check the protperties on the folders and they are not marked as hidden. They are still grayed out.

Back