Windows 7 Am I Spinning My Wheels?

seekermeister

Honorable Member
It didn't occur to me while digging out my old MSI motherboard for use in my HTPC, but I just checked the download page at MSI for it, and not one of the drivers available are listed as being compatible with Windows 7. In fact, only a couple are listed as being for X64. I know that Windows 7 can be pretty picky about what it will install, and I don't want to waste a lot of time with this motherboard only to find it won't work with any of the Windows systems that I might care to use (Windows 7 X64 or XP X64). Should I just chunk it and buy a used motherboard that is somewhat more uip to date?

http://us.msi.com/product/mb/K8T-Neo2-F--FIR.html#/?div=Driver&os=All

Since W7 drivers are based on Vista drivers, you could try Vista - but don't hold your breath.

Just understand according the EULA for OEM/System Builder Windows licenses, OEM licenses are NOT transferable to another computer. And since the motherboard is the heart of the computer, a motherboard "upgrade" is considered a new computer. So, if your current license is OEM and was purchased for, or came with another computer, you cannot use it with this new motherboard. If your current license is a full retail version (and most are not) then you can use it with the new board as long as that copy is not installed on another machine.

So, if your disk is “branded” with a computer maker’s brand name, or is labeled with “OEM", "OEM/System Builder”, “Upgrade”, “Academic Edition”, or "For Distribution with a new PC only", is not transferable to a new PC (or upgraded motherboard) under any circumstances. These OEM licenses are inextricably tied to the "original equipment". And most importantly, as users, we agreed to the terms of the end-user licensing agreement (EULA) when we decided to continue to use the software on the original computer. And that makes it legally binding.

Don't shoot me - I am just the messenger.

Back