Windows 8 Amazing Boot Times!!

Re: Windows 8 Consumer Preview vs. Windows 7 Start-Up Comparison (VMWare Workstation)

you are correct. I am running it primary. I read that win8 dp will be supported until jan 2013 and that computer is not my only pc. If i dont have win 8 full release by then i'll put one of my other os's on that pc....but i bet i can get win8 by then. oh, and it rocks as a primary:)

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Windows 8 Consumer Preview vs. Windows 7 Start-Up Comparison (VMWare Workstation)

Ah, ok. As long as you are aware of the expiry & have that other OS on another machine, then, no worries. Pretty much the same as me dual-booting but, being pretty much full time on the Win8.

Concern was that it was the only OS on the only machine.

&, yeah, sure does rock along handsomely.

Cheers,
Drew

you are correct. I am running it primary. I read that win8 dp will be supported until jan 2013 and that computer is not my only pc. If i dont have win 8 full release by then i'll put one of my other os's on that pc....but i bet i can get win8 by then. oh, and it rocks as a primary:)

If you open the run dialog and type winver it will tell you exactly when the copy expires - just to be sure. :)

That's true. But, in what you quoted, the reference is to DP. Now, could/should be on the RP. Just saying...

Drew

How has everyone found their boot times in the Release Preview?

After first installing, it was painfully (like Windows 7 speed [so not really that bad]) slow, but after I've got everything reinstalled and my drive defragged using PD12 and the system has the process optimized, the times are arguably a little faster than in the DP, I can go from POST to sign-in in about 15 seconds, sometimes less.

For me, it takes 28 seconds from power button to Windows 8 Boot Menu, 7 seconds from boot menu choice to Windows 8 Start Screen. WOW, I actually got a 7 second boot.
n5pqd.jpg

That would most likely increase to 10-15 seconds if I wasn't in a multi-boot situation.
I will be checking Vista and 7 tomorrow as the system reboots after making my choice to either of those 2.

Don

Last edited by a moderator:

I've noticed a faster boot on my Thinkpad r61 laptop. Its not lightning fast but I would say around 7-15 seconds, this laptop is not as modern as todays and runs a rotation HDD so I'm sure newer hardware would be even faster as I've seen videos and peoples boot times with win8 and some only take about 5-7 seconds. Rock out with fast boot times and great sound and video improvements while all the time being in control of all your social and multi-media needs :listening_headphone

Windows 8 boot is fast, no doubt. But so is Windows 7 if properly set up. Here is my Windows 7 boot time in a pretty ancient system (Q6600, 4GB of RAM, Vertex2).

2012-06-18_2325.png

With reference to Adamsapple's post, As I said (post #6), The Windows 8 boot manager does not work, at the moment, exactly like the old 7 manager. It actually operates as an integral part of Windows 8, and pops up just before, or close to, the logon. Of course, then it is very fast from that point to a Windows 8 desktop. Unfortunately, at that stage, if you wish to log in to your alternative OS, it reboots the computer - this is, naturally, a heavy time penalty.
But I am in agreement with whs. If you follow all the hints for booting Windows 7 a little faster, there is not such a big difference.
As has been said before, for the average Stationary user, are start up and close down times of such importance?

Back