Windows 7 An alternative to ReadyBoost

Mitchell_A

Essential Member
We all know that ReadyBoost in Vista was a major fail. The feature was much improved in Windows 7 but I still don't think it's all that it's shaped up to be. But there's an alternative. eBoostr is about the only other program available that does what ReadyBoost does. And it does it faster, providing you with more stats along the way.
Plug in a USB drive or memory card and set it up with eBoostr. It will build a cache on the device and then provide you with the read speed (the higher the better). Also has the ability to accelerate certain programs.

Download eBoostr Beta 4
Boost your Windows PC performance eBoostr.com
:D

We all know that ReadyBoost in Vista was a major fail. The feature was much improved in Windows 7 but I still don't think it's all that it's shaped up to be. But there's an alternative. eBoostr is about the only other program available that does what ReadyBoost does. And it does it faster, providing you with more stats along the way.
Plug in a USB drive or memory card and set it up with eBoostr. It will build a cache on the device and then provide you with the read speed (the higher the better). Also has the ability to accelerate certain programs.

Download eBoostr Beta 4
Boost your Windows PC performance eBoostr.com
:D

I am skeptical, here is why....

Consider this... if you average the read and the write speeds of a USB
flash drive, it will be around 15 mb/s. When you average the read and write
speeds of an SATA hard drive, it will be around 70 (to 100) mb/s. Tell me how
inserting a device running 6 to 8 times SLOWER than your hard drive - between
your memory and your hard drive - can speed up the computer? I don't think it
does.

Test this yourself: Type and enter: "winsat disk -seq -read -drive c" (and you
will get a report on your hard drive read speed.) Also test your memory

"Winsat mem"

I got 15427.87 MB/s with 3 GB DDR3.

Repace -read with -write and get a report on your hard drive write speed. Now
run those same commands and replace C with the drive letter of your USB device.
What do you conclude?

And by keeping this data prefetched on and external device (much similar to having your files on the very first sectors of your HDD but on a different partition, the files are basically kept in "action". Also by read/writing more from the USB drive, you send your HDD spinning less often which means: extended battery life.

I think these are better ways:

You can tweak Prefetch and to perform better and there are a couple tweaks that will force Windows to use MORE of the ram memory than the system is set to use by default. Using MORE memory FOR YOUR applications means the system
is faster and there are fewer hard drive accesses. You want more memory to be USED by YOUR applications... that's why you paid for it.
Run Regedit and go to:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\ FileSystem\NtfsMemoryUSage
Change it from 0 to 2.
Just below that location is this key, this registry tweak will increase your
hard disk cache size The Large System Cache option is one that can improve your
disk I/O performance up to 50%! Change from 0 to 1.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\ Session
Manager\MemoryManagement\LargeSystemCache

Note: By default, Microsoft probably keeps the memory demands set as low as possible
at installation - so they can sell upgrades to a wider market of users who have
older computers with limited ram.

Prefetch is one of the commonly overlooked components that can have a
significant impact on system boot time. This tweak allows selection of which
components will make use of the prefetch parameters. To see which files are
gathered using each of the settings, clear the prefetch cache located at
C:\Windows\Prefetch and then enable one of the settings.
Clear the cache and repeat for each setting. Start type and enter Regedit
Registry Key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\Session Manager\Memory Management\PrefetchParameters
Set Value Data: 3 = Prefetch All

Exit Registry and Reboot

Yes, I also think these reg tweaks are better, as they are for most things. but for the average user trying to speed up their PC without adding additional RAM or buying a new one, the word registry means nothing.

Yes, I also think these reg tweaks are better, as they are for most things. but for the average user trying to speed up their PC without adding additional RAM or buying a new one, the word registry means nothing.

Those users won't find this forum. ;)

I think the OP has some valid points and not a bad idea in theory.. ;) However, many other things work very well in theory.. That's not to say that the program he speaks of isn't a good idea or won't work. It might work very well, I've not tried it. Though I certainly am going to try it out on a couple of my lower end pc's.. ;) I'll post back my thoughts once I've completed some comparisons.. ;)

Back