Windows 7 An "END" file located in my C:\

parat26

Hi guys,

I just registered to Windows 7 forums because I have a simple question.

One week now a file called "END" with no file extension is located inside my System folder where I have my folders there. I didn't make this file at all, and I don't know how this file is there. :confused:

Can I delete it? Is it an important file or something else?

Sorry for my english.
Thanks,
Thanos.

Attachments

• END.png
    END.png
    1.4 KB · Views: 1,587
Hi

The way I handle deleting anything I'm not sure about, is to cut and paste the file to my C:\Temp folder.
If nothing bad happens after a day then I delete it.

If you get an error of some kind because you removed it just put it back where is was.

Did you look at the properties for the folder and see if it really has anything in it?
It may just be an empty folder left over after some kind of install.

My guess is that it's safe to delete it.

Mike

Thanks for replying, I open this file with Notepad++ to see what's inside, there is some characters inside it.

I don't know :confused:

Attachments

• END2.png
    END2.png
    48.9 KB · Views: 4,600
I usually move it to another drive a thumb drive if small enough and run thing for 3 or 4 weeks if after that time nothing goes wrong I delete it

Arwe you sure it has no extension? Have you unchecked the "!hide extensions for known file types" in the folder options of control panel?

Yea, I have the extensions, thank's for additional help Super Sarge!

I will try to move it into another drive and I will see.
Thanks.

This is an ASCII language instruction for a file, probably related to an Adobe or other graphics program install process.

Do you have Adobe Illustrator on your computer?
I have a file named GIF89a Format.aip which is in my Adobe Illustrator CS3 plugins folder. It lets Illustrator read Gif files

The "End" file is probably related to Adobe or some other graphics program, if you have one installed.

I don't have an End file anyplace in any of my system folders.

Last edited:
Intersting hmmm,

I installed Adobe Photoshop CS5 last week. Hmmm, thank's for the information.

for anyone looking this up i was confused by the file as well so i did a search and viewed what was modified at the same time. Turns out the file was a bunch of images for xfire...

I also found this END file on my PC "C:/" hard drive. Very strange indeed. I could not open the file, but it was there under all my pertinent folders. When I checked Properties/Mouse over, it read "Date Modified: 9/11/2013" = ???? 9/11 ?? really???
I don't recall acquiring this file on my own. And I don't recall seeing it, until just a few days ago. 9/11/13 ?? END ???
I quickly moved it to Recycle, and emptied that file.
I'm on a new ASUS. PC running Windows 8

I did some searching and this appears that it may come from Conduit software, or possibly others. The header looks like a GIF file header, and judging by the size I'm guessing its actually a 1x1 transparent pixel (someone could verify by adding the .gif extension and opening it). I seriously doubt its harmful, although in my opinion any file that ends up in the root of my C: drive and isn't truly a system file goes right to the trash :)

I am having the same exact issue. Here is the thing though, I opened up the file using notepad.exe, and it says OK in the file. Also it is not a .gif file because I went to try it with the file extension and it doesn't work. What I did is that I looked into my folders that have a higher or similar date to them, As soon as I get a matching time on the folder, then I know that the file is attached to that folder.
Look at the dialog I created. As you can see, Sample 1 displays the END file located on the local disk. Now the arrows are pointing to the date and the time. Now look at sample 2. Sample 2 displays a folder in the program files. The folder the arrows are pointing to have the same exact date and time. Now this can be in any folder, so you got to go through your drive thoroughly. Now if you look at sample 3, sample 3 displays what the contents are in the END file in raw text format. Now that doesn't show any signs of a virus, but it is highly recommended that you do a deep scan on the END file and the folder that it is attached to using both an antivirus and an antimalware tool.
Untitled 1.png

Back
Top Bottom