Windows 7 Anti-Virus software....any suggestions?

Lynda

Any suggestions on which free AV software out there won't blow up RC1? I used our new Symantec and that blew the system up twice, so I thought I would just use a free one for now to continue testing with the system. I am looking for input on any that anyone has been able to try successfully.

I use Avast and had no problems. I 've tried AVG and it worked fine on x86 but I had issues on x64. I've heard good things about Avira, but I haven't tried it.

I use ESET NOD32 4.0 64BIT edition and it is working perfect.

No problems on the 64 bit W7 & 64bit antivirus.

never had any problems with this one in the past.

As Denskie says, NOD32 ver 4 x64 works perfectly.
I installed Office XP and windows update didn't automatically detected that are critical updates for the office but the NOD32 did and NOD notified me that there are critical updates for the Office package.

Any suggestions on which free AV software out there won't blow up RC1? I used our new Symantec and that blew the system up twice, so I thought I would just use a free one for now to continue testing with the system. I am looking for input on any that anyone has been able to try successfully.

Windows 7

Free anti virus and full internet security for the life of windows 7 Beta :) Hey can it get Beta ;)
Dang I get about a bit :)

If youre not looking for a complete security-suit, i would recommend avira antivir. In my oppinion one of the top free-a/v progs.

Please try AVG or Kaspersky

Hi Linda,

Know the feeling. I installed Windows 7 and my McAfee stopped working, and it's the only problem i have had with Windows 7. Please try AVG and the other recommened is Kaspersky.

Regards,
Duraid.

I am using norton internet security 2009. It seems to be working fine so far. You get up to 3 pc's when you buy it and I was only using two, so I set it up with windows 7 as well.

If you want to do the same. What I did was download norton removal tool. Yes I know I did not have a norton product installed but it avoids having to use a credit card because once it's done it will take you to a website that allows you to download your product without the hassel. It's faster that way. Just follow the directions and have your product key.

I am using norton internet security 2009. It seems to be working fine so far. You get up to 3 pc's when you buy it and I was only using two, so I set it up with windows 7 as well.

If you want to do the same. What I did was download norton removal tool. Yes I know I did not have a norton product installed but it avoids having to use a credit card because once it's done it will take you to a website that allows you to download your product without the hassel. It's faster that way. Just follow the directions and have your product key.
Its only working fine on the 64 bit RC1. I assume thats what youre using Bigcitycat? Its broken on the 32 bit.

The OP is enquiring about FREE anti virus suites. As far as I know, Nod32 and norton are both paid, although you get a 30 day trial with Nod32.
I have always used Avast. No problems 64Bit or 32Bit.

McAffee

It seams McAfee has a bigproblem with Windows7 RC 7100, It won't update the definations and says you are not protected. Ran the McAfee Virtual Technician and it says it is all goodwith no problems, looks like a Windows 7 bug :confused:
It has been this way for tow days.
Also why did they do away with letting them know they have a bug. The only to comunicate with the Windows 7 RC group is here on the fourms.

Thomas :cool:

If you're going for free, then I'd wholeheartedly recommend Avast. AVG can work too if you're on 32-bit, but you'll have issues if you're on 64-bit.

If at any point you choose to get a paid anti-virus, I'd recommend either ESET NOD32 or ESET Smart Security 4. Kaspersky is also very good, though I prefer ESET's products more. Don't even touch McAfee or Norton with a 30 ft pole.

Back