Windows Vista Anybody Interested In Starting A Class Action Lawsuit??

Celestra

Former Moderator
Hi! I'm seriuos... I totally hate the bloatware the manufacturer put on my machine. I resented the "Vista Recovery Disc's" too. Every time I have to re-install Vista, I have to spend long periods of time erasing these programs that they originally put on my machine. And they are intricately woven in the machine and hard to figure out without damaging other programs. ( I want the manufacturer to give clean "Vista Installation Disc's" not Recovery Disc's). We paid good money, we deserve the proper stuff..

you could find a "clean" copy of your OS then use your key ;)
Would that work i've never tried but always assumed that if i used my single machine clean copy of XP on my old OEM presario that it would reject the OEM key can anyone verify that i am wrong?

Would that work i've never tried but always assumed that if i used my single machine clean copy of XP on my old OEM presario that it would reject the OEM key can anyone verify that i am wrong?

your key is specific to you machine hardware when installed so you can swop out most bits up to a limit and not including your motherboard at whcih point you would have to reinstall , your key is specific to the OS type i.e. xp home edition or Vista ultimate etc but not your specific disc ;)

So OEM home edition versus clean home edition should fail? I was hoping someone had tried and could confirm if this qualifies as the same version of windows. I have a store bought XP disc for my home built system and an older presario that came pre loaded with XP both are home edition. I assume that a ten disc XP OEM recovery setup is going to report itself to microsoft as a different version than my single disc copy of XP. I guess no way to tell with out trying.

So OEM home edition versus clean home edition should fail? I was hoping someone had tried and could confirm if this qualifies as the same version of windows. I have a store bought XP disc for my home built system and an older presario that came pre loaded with XP both are home edition. I assume that a ten disc XP OEM recovery setup is going to report itself to microsoft as a different version than my single disc copy of XP. I guess no way to tell with out trying.

OEM home edition and RETAIL home edition use different keys, If it was me I would see this as three choices ;
1/ make an ISO from origonal CDs strip out all but OS install then burn to DVD, then install.
2/ find a "clean" OS version that matches yours and use your key to validate.
3 buy/find another disc of whatever you fancy with a key, XP home edition comes in at approx £60gbp.

Thanks for the clarification i actually got my clean copy from a system builder so it may be a clean OEM version after all that would be nice, i've always been curious about this but the only two chances i had to try (i don't buy OEM so unless it's a hand me down box it doesn't come up) my laviness has gotten the better of me. Thanks for the info.

Just another thought

I have never crossed installation types before, but I have bought a retail, boxed copy of Windows XP and installed it on the intended computer. Few months later, I disassembled and discarded the original computer and attempted to install the OS on the new one. Of course, when I attempted to install the OS on the new computer, I got a message that it was already installed on another computer. There were instructions to follow if you felt that you had rightful permission to install the OS. The instructions included calling a Microsoft number. I called the number, and explained that the old computer had been taken out of service and disassembled and they gave me a new key to install the OS on the new computer. (I feel certain that they cancelled the key to the old computer; I didn't test that issue). One simple phone call and all was well. I have also done approximately the same procedure since then with an installation of Windows Home Server.

I realize that this is does not exactly answer the question asked, but is on the same subject and may be in the mind of some readers.

you could find a "clean" copy of your OS then use your key ;)

It doesn't sound like anybody here has an HP ? All this stuff is written into the core of my machine, if I mess with it, it may hurt my program...... I thought HP should give it out, not Microsoft. (I do use "Acronis") I just wanted to stop these manufacturers from bloatwaring people.

Last edited:
It doesn't sound like anybody here has an HP ? All this stuff is written into the core of my machine, if I mess with it, it may hurt my program...... I thought HP should give it out, not Microsoft. (I do use "Acronis") I just wanted to stop these manufacturers from bloatwaring people.
Your absolutely right that this practice should be stopped not sure if damages could be PROVEN for a class action lawsuit. Not that they don't exist just would take a long time and some sympathetic people. It is certain that damage does occur if a buyer decides not to keep any of the programs supplied by the Manufacturer by the time all that is removed and new apps of a similar nature re installed the road to registry rot is paved for you. There are ways around it if you use Revo or the like to completely remove these apps but that comes with danger too. You raise an interesting point I would definitely sign the petition if that is the question.

While I don't have an HP computer at the present, I have owned HP as well as several other mass builder's brands over the years. Trust me; this problem is not unique to HP! Nor is the ridiculously poor-to-non-existent factory support. Once you go beyond the small business custom builder, you have this problem. I have heard of some buyers being able to bargain for a retail copy of the same OS that is preinstalled on the computer they are buying. First order of business in this case is to install the retail box version as an initial setup step. This rids the computer of all the commercial bloat that the manufacturer receives compensation to install. Also note that this bloatware is not actually "written into the core of your machine", it is simply programs added to your computer by the manufacturer. Most of these programs are, of course, not wanted by the buyer and it is frustrating to get them all deleted. Most installations never really get all traces of the bloatware eliminated, but once you have uninstalled them by typical procedures, you have a clean enough computer that performance is not affected measurably.

While this issue is probably not eligible for a lawsuit to outlaw the procedure; you and I as buyers have the right and responsibility to control this practice with our pocketbooks. If enough people write to HP, as well as X,Y and Z computer mass builders and tell them that you did not buy their computer because you do not want to buy a computer with a bunch of useless bloat added by the builder, the practice will come to a screeching halt! So instead of complaining of the bloat on the computer you did buy, it will be much more effective to be able to say, "I didn't buy one because I don't want the bloat that is included." They (the manufacturers) don't hear your voice, they feel their pocketbook.

That's my story, and I'm stickin' to it!

Well I have an HP Pavilon a6300f. Came with all kinds of whatever, Norton AV, Something for burning cd's and the like, and a lot of other stuff. Oh yeah, and that stupid disk partition so I could burn the operating system to dvd's or whatever. Good thing my hard drive lasted long enough that I was able to do that. I agree totally. Just the operating system for me, and I will add whatever else I want. Most stuff they load on computers people end up finding something else thats better. So your right, I see no purpose to this practise; though I admit I used to think differently.

I have installed fresh operating systems for clients on many laptops notebooks and desktops, these have come from a variety of manufacturers including Dell and HP.

the only problems I have had where getting hold of the motherboard specific drivers ;)

the hardware is bought and paid for by you when you buy the machine and what you do with it after that is your choice, the only issue is that they aren't honour bound to support you if you have problems geting drivers :rolleyes:

I haven't come accross a laptop from HP or Dell yet which hasn't worked properly with a fresh install of an OS not supplied by them :cool:

Is Your PC Feeling A Little Bloated ?

So, Like I said I have to buy or obtain a clean installation disk. ( Don't you think it's more trouble than it's worth?)

Last edited by a moderator:
Celestra,
I agree it probably is more trouble than it's worth but, who knows maybe somewhere there is one available. But, I sure do not remember seeing any.

Celestra,
I agree it probably is more trouble than it's worth but, who knows maybe somewhere there is one available. But, I sure do not remember seeing any.

It's not just a few files, HP hid it in a duplicated form all over my computer. They like Juno, Netzero, Vonage, Wild Tangent, America Online. There may be a few more. I think they feel if duplicate it enough I'll eventually come around. (She can't say no forever) Oh, I did try Symantec for 2 years...

Humm,
you got more of it than I did for sure. If I remember however, I think I paid Walmart I believe to set mine up and supposedly they removed a bunch of stuff I did not require, so there may have been more than what I saw when I received it. I used Norton AV for a while but, like you (I believe) think are better choices in the long run. Then there was the Microsoft Office Trial software. I bought that one so the trial stuff was no longer required. But, a Class Action Law suit would start as expensive and go from there; as you would have to get the court to agree to a Class Action I believe. As my brother who is a lawyer (retired) would say probably too much money to get involved in, unless of course it's a sure fired winner which most are not. Anyway, getting the manufacturers to stop putting the stuff on there in the first place by any other means probably is next to impossible; right?

Here's a thought

It's not just a few files, HP hid it in a duplicated form all over my computer. They like Juno, Netzero, Vonage, Wild Tangent, America Online. There may be a few more. I think they feel if duplicate it enough I'll eventually come around. (She can't say no forever) Oh, I did try Symantec for 2 years...

All the items you mention specifically (Juno, Netzero, Vonage, etc.) can simply be deleted with "Add/Remove Programs". If I were buying a new computer and I felt as strongly as you, I would: a) bargain with the retailer to include, at no additional cost, a "clean", retail boxed installation disk for the exact same OS as is on the computer you are buying......or are offering to buy subject to this condition. If you have a clean disk for the same OS as is preinstalled, you have no driver hassles or installation key hassles. The key number that is attached to the computer that you buy will satisfy requirements for that OS version. The installation looks at the motherboard, not the installation CD/DVD.

If plan "a" fails, go to plan b): Call the computer manufacturer and tell them that you would like to buy one of their products, but you refuse to buy one with the advertising bloat that they install by default. Possibly, before the twelfth phone call, you will have found a supplier who will sell you a "clean" computer.

Remember that the manufacturers do not hear your voice, they feel their pocketbooks.

This is why I so often advise people/clients to get machines custom built from independant consultants. Thusly you only have both the hardware and software you want & need, nothing more.

Yes, most of it came be removed, some not nicely or quickly but, no matter, a bloody pain.

I wonder, should one wait til after warranty to switch it to a bare bones OS? Seems, better to just have a machine like that @ the onset... hmmm, sounds like custom-build, again

Cheers,
Drew

Yep that's exactly right, or if you have the know how, build your own, I've done that on a number of accessions and it's very rewarding thing to do:cool: Many a benefit, better control over the bits you put it, and what get's loaded onto it and so on and so on:D

Yep that's exactly right, or if you have the know how, build your own, I've done that on a number of accessions and it's very rewarding thing to do:cool: Many a benefit, better control over the bits you put it, and what get's loaded onto it and so on and so on:D
I've eradicated programs several times on my computer. ( I think I want to can my HP Library, it's about room). Oh yeah, they had "Rhapsody and some dvd service installed, 3 easy INTERNET programs to compare Internet Prices. Of course, Microsoft Office.....

(By the way, I recently blogged a list of parts for a cheap "Kick Ass" Gaming PC $460- off New Egg. You might want to compare it with ready mades like "CyberPower" selling their lowest model for $ 475....)

Last edited:
Back