Windows 10 Anyone heard of Glary Utilities?

MikeHawthorne

Essential Member
Microsoft Community Contributor
I answered a question on Quora about what are the first programs you install on a new computer.
I gave my basic list of utilities i.e. CCleaner, Agent Ransack, HWMonitor, Defraggler, Malwarebytes Pro, SuperAntiSpyware, Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, etc.

Another computer geek posted back saying that he liked my list but suggested that I try Glary Utilities, a competitor for CCleaner.

Glary Utilities | Glarysoft

Always ready to take a chance and having a System Image I decided to give it a try.
It has a very extensive set of tools that seem to be useful all in one package and great ratings from what I saw.

So I bit the bullet and ran all of the tweeks that it suggested, I've only been running it for a short time, but it hasn't crashed my computer so far. LOL

I'll report back after I've used it for a while.

It measured the boot time for my computer, and said I'm in the top 6% of best times, not bad for an almost 5 year old computer, which I'm about to replace.

I'm running the free version.

Mike

After using it my boot time was 38 seconds, it was noticeably faster, that's a little faster then I would have said but I'm never sure when to start measuring.

I always thought it was about a minute plus a little.

Last edited:
Most of the tweak tools are for the most part fluff and don't do a lot and I've seen some make systems unbootable. I stay away from them.

Things I generally install/add

Chrome, Powershell 6 core, nmap, Wireshark, InSSIDer Office, Channelyzer, Vmware vSphere, Hyper-V, Office, Visio, putty, Develepors SDK, Visual Studios, Visual Studios Code, Webroot, Notepad++, Hxd, CFF Explorer, Sysinternals suite, ILSpy, Python, IDA Pro and a bunch of other analysis tools

Glary Utilities is alright.
I haven't personally used it in 11-12 year's though.
I use System Mechanic Dtandard, but it's not free.
Like Neemobeer stated, I only use the cleanup and maintence stuff in it.
I turned off all it's power, cpu, ram and ssd/hdd optimization stuff.
From past experience 2 to stay away from are Fix-it Utilites and System Utilities. They're both made by the same company and mess more up than they fix.

Thanks for the info, I notice that there is a return to previous setting on most of the actions.
So if that works I feel a little better messing around with it.

So far I don't notice any issues and my computer does seem to be running at it best.
I'll report if I find any problems.

In my opinion CCleaner is as far as you really need to go, like @Neemobeer said they are pretty much all fluff.

Yeah, I didn't find any problems with it, but I decided to remove it, I've used CCleaner for so long that I just don't trust anything else.
I've used Malwarebytes for many years too, and I don't know why you would need one of those giant antivirus suites like McAfee.

When I tried those they had a real impact on performance.

McAfee is known for bogging down your system. That's why I use ESET. They say it's the lightest A/v on resources of all.

ESET is still around 100MBs in memory. Webroot is 10MB and the CPU load is also very low for Webroot.

Back
Top Bottom