Windows 7 Anyone that can read micro-SDHC Memory Card using USB 2.0 Reader using Win 7 or Win 8?

KaparLasse

Working beautifully under XP and Vista, my USB 2.0 memory card reader no longer works under Windows 7 Home Premium or Windows 8 Pro N. If moving same memory card to an empty larger case and inserting that in a built-in memory card reader, everything works just fine?????

Trying to report this to MS in Sweden, requesting bug to be escalated to MS USA, but they are trying to evade the issue even though I used to beta-test computer oprating systems while working for Wang Labs, Inc., in Sweden way back when.

Anyone else who has experienced the same problems? Or, do you in fact have a reader that works? Please let me know manufacturer + product name....

Either way, please get back to me....

Brgds KaparLasse
:apologetic:

Last edited by a moderator:
My SD card reader is a 3.5" add on piece/hardware that's for my desktop. It's made by Rocketfish which I picked it up at BestBuy some years back. It works with Vista, 7 and now 8 and I've never had a problem with it. It uses the windows generic driver that's with each OS version I've used...I did try one time to install the manufacturers drivers but it start making my system crash and I went back to the generic drivers and been happy ever since.

Is this a laptop or desktop you have? Is this a built in card reader for the laptop/desktop or an add on piece?

My SD card reader is a 3.5" add on piece/hardware that's for my desktop. It's made by Rocketfish which I picked it up at BestBuy some years back. It works with Vista, 7 and now 8 and I've never had a problem with it. It uses the windows generic driver that's with each OS version I've used...I did try one time to install the manufacturers drivers but it start making my system crash and I went back to the generic drivers and been happy ever since.

Is this a laptop or desktop you have? Is this a built in card reader for the laptop/desktop or an add on piece?

My USB 2.0 card reader for microSD, micro SDHC and MS MICRO(M2) is only 1.25", it fits conveniently on a key ring or in a wallet. But it now behaves just like a built in card reader (assuming it is empty when you double click on Removable disk [H:], i.e. "Insert disk in Removable disk[H:]". Since both Win 7 & 8 seem to do a disk search at the same time (green progress bar is growing in right direction) I figured this is a bug in Windows, but maybe it is the non-rewritable driver inside the reader that is poorly written?

Have same problem on my stationary PC running Win 8 Pro x32 and my 3 months old HP laptop running Win 8 Pro x64. Tested on another laptop with Win 7 Home Premium x32, same problem.

Can hardly report a bug to MS unless I get some backing from the community. On the other hand I just received word about a new reader from China that is said to work with both 7 & 8, and is cheap as sh*t with free postage. So I guess I'll live!

Many thanks for your contact in this matter!
Brgds KaparLasse
:)

Ah...misread your post on the type of reader it was....it's a USB card reader. Have you tried connecting it to different usb ports? These usb card readers can and do go bad from time to time. You can pick one up for next to nothing these days, less than $10.

The green bar moving is windows letting you know it's searching for something, in this case a usb device. It does the same thing for networks. Depending on connection type and speed or service, this search can take some time from a split second to minutes.

Ah...misread your post on the type of reader it was....it's a USB card reader. Have you tried connecting it to different usb ports? These usb card readers can and do go bad from time to time. You can pick one up for next to nothing these days, less than $10.

The green bar moving is windows letting you know it's searching for something, in this case a usb device. It does the same thing for networks. Depending on connection type and speed or service, this search can take some time from a split second to minutes.

What does work is the "pling" when mounting and removing device, so Win obviously identifies it as an USB-device. But it also treats it as a built-in card-reader, it shows "Removable disk [H:]" when inserted, but will not reveal contents of the memory card. If double-klicked on, shows the same message you get when double-klicking on a built-in card reader that has NO memory card mounted.

Same memory card, if fit in a larger SD-case, is read just fine in a card-reader (built-in or fit in external HDD-cradle w/USB-ports and SD-card reader).

I just cannot understand why USB card readers that worked under XP and Vista are now rendered useless, what happened to backwards-compatibility? What microcode in the reader can possibly be damaging to 7 & 8?

Have checked Swedish sales of these devices on the net, so far only have found one that says it is 7-compatible?? If failing to state it can work with 7 & 8 they will be unable to sell, so expect everyone to say "Yes we can" and sell you a lemon... Assuming that the price is so low you won't complain.

My reader cost US$ 4 w/postage paid, is probable a clone of a SanDisk or similar renowned reader, but manufactured in China and sold on the net by Chinese living in Sweden

Brgds KaparLasse
:02.47-tranquillity:

Back
Top Bottom