Windows 8 Application opens when computer wakes.

Syncopator

I have my Windows 8.1 computer set to turn off the display after 30 minutes, and go to sleep after 2 hours.

A key press or mouse movement after either before or after it goes to sleep opens the screen normally.

However, after a much longer time, overnight for example, an application (Cool Edit Pro 2) opens when I wake the machine.

Initially it displays the program's splash screen and a notice that a file can't be found. After clicking that notice so that it goes away, the splash screen disappears and the program opens.

Having seen advice on another forum relating to an old Microsoft Flight Simulator program running on Windows 8.1, stating that it should be installed in its own folder, not in Program Files (x86), I followed that advice for Cool Edit, but it made no difference.

Does anyone know why this happens?

I had a similar problem with Adobe Acrobat reader opening up. Received no answers from "eightforums", so I just uninstalled it and now use a simpler pdf reader without any trouble.

In the case of Adobe Acrobat reader, it's looking for up-dates during times of low cpu activity (the default setting) and can just be told to pick a new time frame or you can disable the auto-updates and check for them manually.

In windows 8 and 8.1 the sleep mode is effectively a [pause] system button and (apart from the optional asking for password) doesn't run any extra protocols that wouldn't be running if the computer hadn't been asleep recently.

I shall, for the moment, perhaps permanently, forget about Adobe Acrobat, but I don't see how your second paragraph helps me.

Care to explain please?

1. There is no coalition between windows 8 sleep mode and your problem.
2. The Cool Edit Pro 2 software is an out dated (discontinued and unsupported) audio mixer that Adobe owns the rights too and has no interest maintaining… by that name i.e. it should not be there and that’s why it has issues.
3. Installing software outside the programs folder is a work around to prevent Windows security locking access to your documents and irrelevant to the working of this software.

I recommend;
a, talk to Adobe about Audition (requires Creative Cloud subscription to work correctly) if you need an Adobe audio mixer that works with Windows 8 or…
b, remove the software from your main system and use something like vmware to install a virtual xp machine then install your old programs there.
c, just put up with it... sounds like a minor issue to me but it's your system so it's up to you.

Help me setup Desktop computer Auto and run now

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You would be best served by creating your own thread and then posting a short clear paragraph regarding your current issue... Oh and please goes a long way too.. :)

Ok I didn't even twig that he was asking a question… just assumed it was one of these auto-spam things.

Thanks Kemical. :oops:

Help me setup Desktop computer Auto and run now

Back