ApplicationData Shortcut to itself?

AyyyJono

I've recently come across something that has perplexed me and I do not understand the reason for it.

Under C:\Users there is a shortcut called All Users. This takes me to C:\ProgramData. In ProgramData there is a shortcut for Desktop, Documents, Start Menu, Templates but oddly, ApplicationData as well. It seems to loop and take me to the same directory as where I view the shortcut in ProgramData.

Properties of the shortcut does not display any target location or any other hints of what it's purpose is. I have attached a screenshot and would like to know what this could be? The server was recently hit with Ransomware and restored, my superior has a suspicion that it might be linked to the Ransomware returning or leaving a trace behind.

I have tried looking online for more information but don't seem to get an accurate answer.

Regards,
Jono.

Attachments

• Application Data.PNG
    Application Data.PNG
    413.6 KB · Views: 317
There for program backward compatibility with XP and earlier versions of Windows.

Also they're special shortcuts call junctions. You can see them from the command prompt with dir /r /a:hs

There for program backward compatibility with XP and earlier versions of Windows.

Also they're special shortcuts call junctions. You can see them from the command prompt with dir /r /a:hs

Thank you so much for clearing that up Neemobeer. We were very confused. I do not really understand the functionality of these Junctions but I can read online. Again, thank you.

They're for backward compatibility of programs. An example scenario I have run into in previous jobs.

At a company A machines were being upgraded from Windows XP to Windows 7 64bit. Program B had some hardcoded logic that it was looking for C:\Program FIles\Citrix\..\someprogram.exe. On Windows 7 this became C:\Program Files (x86)\Citrix\...\someprogram.exe. Because of the hard coded logic the process failed. Creating a junction from the Program FIles (x86)\Citrix to Program Files\Citrix the program was essentially tricked into believing the path exists and it does in a sense. Junctions are basically a redirection behind the scenes.

Back