ApplicationData Shortcut to itself?

AyyyJono

I've recently come across something that has perplexed me and I do not understand the reason for it.

Under C:\Users there is a shortcut called All Users. This takes me to C:\ProgramData. In ProgramData there is a shortcut for Desktop, Documents, Start Menu, Templates but oddly, ApplicationData as well. It seems to loop and take me to the same directory as where I view the shortcut in ProgramData.

Properties of the shortcut does not display any target location or any other hints of what it's purpose is. I have attached a screenshot and would like to know what this could be? The server was recently hit with Ransomware and restored, my superior has a suspicion that it might be linked to the Ransomware returning or leaving a trace behind.

I have tried looking online for more information but don't seem to get an accurate answer.

Regards,
Jono.

Attachments

Neemobeer

Windows Forum Team
Staff member
There for program backward compatibility with XP and earlier versions of Windows.

Also they're special shortcuts call junctions. You can see them from the command prompt with dir /r /a:hs

AyyyJono

There for program backward compatibility with XP and earlier versions of Windows.

Also they're special shortcuts call junctions. You can see them from the command prompt with dir /r /a:hs
Thank you so much for clearing that up Neemobeer. We were very confused. I do not really understand the functionality of these Junctions but I can read online. Again, thank you.

Neemobeer

Windows Forum Team
Staff member
They're for backward compatibility of programs. An example scenario I have run into in previous jobs.

At a company A machines were being upgraded from Windows XP to Windows 7 64bit. Program B had some hardcoded logic that it was looking for C:\Program FIles\Citrix\..\someprogram.exe. On Windows 7 this became C:\Program Files (x86)\Citrix\...\someprogram.exe. Because of the hard coded logic the process failed. Creating a junction from the Program FIles (x86)\Citrix to Program Files\Citrix the program was essentially tricked into believing the path exists and it does in a sense. Junctions are basically a redirection behind the scenes.