Windows 10 Apps won't open and anniversary upgrade won't install

Nerdyguy

Hello, I have a problem with my Dell Inspiron N7110 with Windows 10 Pro x64. First of all, when I installed the anniversary update, the computer updated and restarted. But when it booted up, lines of script came on the screen that said that the watch dog service was starting up (or something like that), after which it froze until it was shut off. And now, after reverting back, whenever I click on a windows app, such as news or weather, a window briefly pops up and then disappears. I then made a second user to see if the same thing happened on the other account. In fact, what happened was much worse. I couldn't even open the start menu, much less open apps.

How do I fix the apps and the update?

You can try registering all the applications with the following
  • Open a powershell prompt (If you can open the Start Menu, press windows key + r and type powershell)
  • Copy and paste the following code and run it
Code:
Get-AppxPackage | foreach { Add-AppxPackage "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppxManifest.xml" -Register -DisableDevelopmentMode }

You can try registering all the applications with the following
  • Open a powershell prompt (If you can open the Start Menu, press windows key + r and type powershell)
  • Copy and paste the following code and run it
Code:
Get-AppxPackage | foreach { Add-AppxPackage "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppxManifest.xml" -Register -DisableDevelopmentMode }
Unfortunately, I have already tried that and it doesn't fix the problem. What happens is a list of red error messages appears below the command, and then yellow script in a green rectangle says that deployment operations are in progress. This is different from what happened on another computer I tried it on, where the yellow script appeared without the error messages.

Can you post the error output.
It's extremely long:

Add-AppxPackage : Cannot find path 'C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\Microsoft.NET.Native.Framework.1.1_1.0.23115.0_x86__8wekyb3d8bbwe\AppXManifest.xml' because it does not exist.
At line:1 char:28
+ ... | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.I ...
+ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
+ CategoryInfo : ObjectNotFound: (C:\Program File...ppXManifest.xml:String) [Add-AppxPackage], ItemNotFoundException
+ FullyQualifiedErrorId : PathNotFound,Microsoft.Windows.Appx.PackageManager.Commands.AddAppxPackageCommand

Add-AppxPackage : Cannot find path 'C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\Microsoft.NET.Native.Framework.1.1_1.0.23115.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe\AppXManifest.xml' because it does not exist.
+ CategoryInfo : ObjectNotFound: (C:\Program File...ppXManifest.xml:String) [Add-AppxPackage], ItemNotFoundException
+ FullyQualifiedErrorId : PathNotFound,Microsoft.Windows.Appx.PackageManager.Commands.AddAppxPackageCommand

Add-AppxPackage : Cannot find path 'C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\Microsoft.NET.Native.Framework.1.0_1.0.22929.0_x86__8wekyb3d8bbwe\AppXManifest.xml' because it does not exist.

Add-AppxPackage : Cannot find path 'C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\Microsoft.NET.Native.Framework.1.0_1.0.22929.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe\AppXManifest.xml' because it does not exist.

Add-AppxPackage : Cannot find path 'C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\Microsoft.NET.Native.Runtime.1.0_1.0.22929.0_x86__8wekyb3d8bbwe\AppXManifest.xml' because it does not exist.

Add-AppxPackage : Cannot find path 'C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\Microsoft.NET.Native.Runtime.1.0_1.0.22929.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe\AppXManifest.xml' because it does not exist.

Add-AppxPackage : Cannot find path 'C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\Microsoft.VCLibs.140.00_14.0.24123.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe\AppXManifest.xml' because it does not exist.

Add-AppxPackage : Cannot find path 'C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\Microsoft.NET.Native.Framework.1.3_1.3.24201.0_x86__8wekyb3d8bbwe\AppXManifest.xml' because it does not exist.

Add-AppxPackage : Cannot find path 'C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\Microsoft.NET.Native.Runtime.1.1_1.1.23406.0_x86__8wekyb3d8bbwe\AppXManifest.xml' because it does not exist.

Add-AppxPackage : Cannot find path 'C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\Microsoft.CommsPhone_1.10.15000.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe\AppXManifest.xml' because it does not exist.

Add-AppxPackage : Cannot find path 'C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\Microsoft.Appconnector_1.3.3.0_neutral__8wekyb3d8bbwe\AppXManifest.xml' because it does not exist.

Add-AppxPackage : Cannot find path 'C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\Microsoft.WindowsDVDPlayer_3.6.13291.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe\AppXManifest.xml' because it does not exist.

Add-AppxPackage : Cannot find path 'C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\Microsoft.NET.Native.Framework.1.3_1.3.24201.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe\AppXManifest.xml' because it does not exist.

Add-AppxPackage : Cannot find path 'C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\Microsoft.NET.Native.Runtime.1.1_1.1.23406.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe\AppXManifest.xml' because it does not exist.

Add-AppxPackage : Cannot find path 'C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\Microsoft.ConnectivityStore_1.1604.4.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe\AppXManifest.xml' because it does not exist.

Add-AppxPackage : Cannot find path 'C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\Microsoft.3DBuilder_11.1.9.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe\AppXManifest.xml' because it does not exist.

Add-AppxPackage : Deployment failed with HRESULT: 0x80070005, Access is denied.
Deployment Register operation with target volume C: on Package Microsoft.SkypeApp_3.2.1.0_neutral_~_kzf8qxf38zg5c from: (AppxBundleManifest.xml) failed with error 0x80070005. See
Troubleshooting packaging, deployment, and query of Windows Store apps (Windows) for help diagnosing app deployment issues.
NOTE: For additional information, look for [ActivityId] 9b5a82ce-41e3-0000-571a-5b9be341d201 in the Event Log or use the command line Get-AppxLog -ActivityID 9b5a82ce-41e3-0000-571a-5b9be341d201
+ CategoryInfo : SecurityError: (C:\Program File...ppXManifest.xml:String) [Add-AppxPackage], PSSecurityException
+ FullyQualifiedErrorId : DeploymentError,Microsoft.Windows.Appx.PackageManager.Commands.AddAppxPackageCommand

Deployment Register operation with target volume C: on Package Microsoft.Windows.CloudExperienceHost_10.0.10586.0_neutral_neutral_cw5n1h2txyewy from: (AppXManifest.xml) failed with error 0x80070005. See
Troubleshooting packaging, deployment, and query of Windows Store apps (Windows) for help diagnosing app deployment issues.
NOTE: For additional information, look for [ActivityId] 9b5a82ce-41e3-0000-0221-5b9be341d201 in the Event Log or use the command line Get-AppxLog -ActivityID 9b5a82ce-41e3-0000-0221-5b9be341d201
+ CategoryInfo : SecurityError: (C:\WINDOWS\Syst...ppXManifest.xml:String) [Add-AppxPackage], PSSecurityException
+ FullyQualifiedErrorId : DeploymentError,Microsoft.Windows.Appx.PackageManager.Commands.AddAppxPackageCommand

Deployment Register operation with target volume C: on Package Microsoft.Windows.ShellExperienceHost_10.0.10586.0_neutral_neutral_cw5n1h2txyewy from: (AppXManifest.xml) failed with error 0x80070005. See
NOTE: For additional information, look for [ActivityId] 9b5a82ce-41e3-0001-561e-5b9be341d201 in the Event Log or use the command line Get-AppxLog -ActivityID 9b5a82ce-41e3-0001-561e-5b9be341d201
+ CategoryInfo : SecurityError: (C:\WINDOWS\Syst...ppXManifest.xml:String) [Add-AppxPackage], PSSecurityException

Add-AppxPackage : Deployment failed with HRESULT: 0x80073D02, The package could not be installed because resources it modifies are currently in use.
error 0x80004004: Unable to install because the following apps need to be closed Microsoft.Windows.Cortana_cw5n1h2txyewy!CortanaUI.
NOTE: For additional information, look for [ActivityId] 9b5a82ce-41e3-0000-1b21-5b9be341d201 in the Event Log or use the command line Get-AppxLog -ActivityID 9b5a82ce-41e3-0000-1b21-5b9be341d201
+ CategoryInfo : NotSpecified: (C:\WINDOWS\Syst...ppXManifest.xml:String) [Add-AppxPackage], Exception

Deployment Register operation with target volume C: on Package Microsoft.AccountsControl_10.0.10586.0_neutral__cw5n1h2txyewy from: (AppXManifest.xml) failed with error 0x80070005. See
NOTE: For additional information, look for [ActivityId] 9b5a82ce-41e3-0000-2321-5b9be341d201 in the Event Log or use the command line Get-AppxLog -ActivityID 9b5a82ce-41e3-0000-2321-5b9be341d201

Deployment Register operation with target volume C: on Package Microsoft.Windows.ParentalControls_1000.10586.0.0_neutral_neutral_cw5n1h2txyewy from: (AppXManifest.xml) failed with error 0x80070005. See
NOTE: For additional information, look for [ActivityId] 9b5a82ce-41e3-0000-c021-5b9be341d201 in the Event Log or use the command line Get-AppxLog -ActivityID 9b5a82ce-41e3-0000-c021-5b9be341d201

Deployment Register operation with target volume C: on Package Windows.PurchaseDialog_6.2.0.0_neutral_neutral_cw5n1h2txyewy from: (AppXManifest.xml) failed with error 0x80070005. See
NOTE: For additional information, look for [ActivityId] 9b5a82ce-41e3-0003-b30f-5b9be341d201 in the Event Log or use the command line Get-AppxLog -ActivityID 9b5a82ce-41e3-0003-b30f-5b9be341d201
+ CategoryInfo : SecurityError: (C:\WINDOWS\Purc...ppXManifest.xml:String) [Add-AppxPackage], PSSecurityException

Deployment Register operation with target volume C: on Package Microsoft.NET.Native.Runtime.1.3_1.3.23901.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe from: (AppXManifest.xml) failed with error 0x80070005. See
NOTE: For additional information, look for [ActivityId] 9b5a82ce-41e3-0002-4f15-5b9be341d201 in the Event Log or use the command line Get-AppxLog -ActivityID 9b5a82ce-41e3-0002-4f15-5b9be341d201
+ CategoryInfo : SecurityError: (C:\Program File...ppXManifest.xml:String) [Add-AppxPackage], PSSecurityException

Deployment Register operation with target volume C: on Package Microsoft.NET.Native.Runtime.1.3_1.3.23901.0_x86__8wekyb3d8bbwe from: (AppXManifest.xml) failed with error 0x80070005. See
NOTE: For additional information, look for [ActivityId] 9b5a82ce-41e3-0000-373c-5b9be341d201 in the Event Log or use the command line Get-AppxLog -ActivityID 9b5a82ce-41e3-0000-373c-5b9be341d201

Deployment Register operation with target volume C: on Package Microsoft.NET.Native.Runtime.1.4_1.4.24201.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe from: (AppXManifest.xml) failed with error 0x80070005. See
NOTE: For additional information, look for [ActivityId] 9b5a82ce-41e3-0000-093f-5b9be341d201 in the Event Log or use the command line Get-AppxLog -ActivityID 9b5a82ce-41e3-0000-093f-5b9be341d201

Deployment Register operation with target volume C: on Package Microsoft.NET.Native.Runtime.1.4_1.4.24201.0_x86__8wekyb3d8bbwe from: (AppXManifest.xml) failed with error 0x80070005. See
NOTE: For additional information, look for [ActivityId] 9b5a82ce-41e3-0002-101b-5b9be341d201 in the Event Log or use the command line Get-AppxLog -ActivityID 9b5a82ce-41e3-0002-101b-5b9be341d201

Deployment Register operation with target volume C: on Package Yodo1Ltd.CrossyRoad_1.3.4.0_x86__s3s3f300emkze from: (AppXManifest.xml) failed with error 0x80070005. See Troubleshooting packaging, deployment, and query of Windows Store apps (Windows) for
help diagnosing app deployment issues.
NOTE: For additional information, look for [ActivityId] 9b5a82ce-41e3-0001-5242-5b9be341d201 in the Event Log or use the command line Get-AppxLog -ActivityID 9b5a82ce-41e3-0001-5242-5b9be341d201

Deployment Register operation with target volume C: on Package Microsoft.Office.Sway_2015.7369.45141.0_neutral_~_8wekyb3d8bbwe from: (AppxBundleManifest.xml) failed with error 0x80070005. See
http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=235160 for help diagnosing app deployment issues.
NOTE: For additional information, look for [ActivityId] 9b5a82ce-41e3-0000-8341-5b9be341d201 in the Event Log or use the command line Get-AppxLog -ActivityID 9b5a82ce-41e3-0000-8341-5b9be341d201

Deployment Register operation with target volume C: on Package 9E2F88E3.Twitter_5.3.5.0_x86__wgeqdkkx372wm from: (AppXManifest.xml) failed with error 0x80070005. See http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=235160 for help
diagnosing app deployment issues.
NOTE: For additional information, look for [ActivityId] 9b5a82ce-41e3-0001-d943-5b9be341d201 in the Event Log or use the command line Get-AppxLog -ActivityID 9b5a82ce-41e3-0001-d943-5b9be341d201

Deployment Register operation with target volume C: on Package Microsoft.WindowsPhone_2016.912.957.0_neutral_~_8wekyb3d8bbwe from: (AppxBundleManifest.xml) failed with error 0x80070005. See
http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=235160 for help diagnosing app deployment issues.
NOTE: For additional information, look for [ActivityId] 9b5a82ce-41e3-0002-af1f-5b9be341d201 in the Event Log or use the command line Get-AppxLog -ActivityID 9b5a82ce-41e3-0002-af1f-5b9be341d201

Deployment Register operation with target volume C: on Package Microsoft.WindowsMaps_2016.921.1913.0_neutral_~_8wekyb3d8bbwe from: (AppxBundleManifest.xml) failed with error 0x80070005. See
NOTE: For additional information, look for [ActivityId] 9b5a82ce-41e3-0002-e121-5b9be341d201 in the Event Log or use the command line Get-AppxLog -ActivityID 9b5a82ce-41e3-0002-e121-5b9be341d201

Deployment Register operation with target volume C: on Package Microsoft.ZuneVideo_2019.16092.10311.0_neutral_~_8wekyb3d8bbwe from: (AppxBundleManifest.xml) failed with error 0x80070005. See
NOTE: For additional information, look for [ActivityId] 9b5a82ce-41e3-0002-f923-5b9be341d201 in the Event Log or use the command line Get-AppxLog -ActivityID 9b5a82ce-41e3-0002-f923-5b9be341d201

Deployment Register operation with target volume C: on Package Microsoft.ZuneMusic_2019.16092.10311.0_neutral_~_8wekyb3d8bbwe from: (AppxBundleManifest.xml) failed with error 0x80070005. See
NOTE: For additional information, look for [ActivityId] 9b5a82ce-41e3-0002-0224-5b9be341d201 in the Event Log or use the command line Get-AppxLog -ActivityID 9b5a82ce-41e3-0002-0224-5b9be341d201

Deployment Register operation with target volume C: on Package Microsoft.WindowsStore_11610.1001.104.0_neutral_~_8wekyb3d8bbwe from: (AppxBundleManifest.xml) failed with error 0x80070005. See
NOTE: For additional information, look for [ActivityId] 9b5a82ce-41e3-0002-7c24-5b9be341d201 in the Event Log or use the command line Get-AppxLog -ActivityID 9b5a82ce-41e3-0002-7c24-5b9be341d201

Deployment Register operation with target volume C: on Package Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge_25.10586.672.0_neutral__8wekyb3d8bbwe from: (AppXManifest.xml) failed with error 0x80070005. See
NOTE: For additional information, look for [ActivityId] 9b5a82ce-41e3-0001-2d4d-5b9be341d201 in the Event Log or use the command line Get-AppxLog -ActivityID 9b5a82ce-41e3-0001-2d4d-5b9be341d201

Deployment Register operation with target volume C: on Package Microsoft.WindowsCamera_2016.1028.10.0_neutral_~_8wekyb3d8bbwe from: (AppxBundleManifest.xml) failed with error 0x80070005. See
NOTE: For additional information, look for [ActivityId] 9b5a82ce-41e3-0000-6e4b-5b9be341d201 in the Event Log or use the command line Get-AppxLog -ActivityID 9b5a82ce-41e3-0000-6e4b-5b9be341d201

Deployment Register operation with target volume C: on Package 2FE3CB00.PicsArt-PhotoStudio_4.2.0.0_neutral_~_crhqpqs3x1ygc from: (AppxBundleManifest.xml) failed with error 0x80070005. See
NOTE: For additional information, look for [ActivityId] 9b5a82ce-41e3-0000-ad4d-5b9be341d201 in the Event Log or use the command line Get-AppxLog -ActivityID 9b5a82ce-41e3-0000-ad4d-5b9be341d201

Deployment Register operation with target volume C: on Package Microsoft.MicrosoftOfficeHub_2015.7608.23501.0_neutral_~_8wekyb3d8bbwe from: (AppxBundleManifest.xml) failed with error 0x80070005. See
NOTE: For additional information, look for [ActivityId] 9b5a82ce-41e3-0000-bb4d-5b9be341d201 in the Event Log or use the command line Get-AppxLog -ActivityID 9b5a82ce-41e3-0000-bb4d-5b9be341d201

Deployment Register operation with target volume C: on Package Microsoft.Windows.Photos_2016.1111.10000.0_neutral_~_8wekyb3d8bbwe from: (AppxBundleManifest.xml) failed with error 0x80070005. See
NOTE: For additional information, look for [ActivityId] 9b5a82ce-41e3-0003-3920-5b9be341d201 in the Event Log or use the command line Get-AppxLog -ActivityID 9b5a82ce-41e3-0003-3920-5b9be341d201

Back