Windows Vista AR5BMB-44 .INF file installation

Vignesh S

I have a laptop that has an Atheros AR5BMB-44 chip. Now, the problem is that the driver isn't an .exe file, but rather 3 files: .sys, .a security catalogue and our troublesome .INF file. The problem is that I can't seem to install it by right clicking it and clicking on Install. It comes up with a dialogue box saying that "The INF file you selected does not support this method of installation". I have absolutely no idea what to do, and the wifi driver Windows Vista is currently using (AR5004g) doesn't work with this wifi card.

So my questions are:
1. How do I install the .INF file? Never navigated my way around the Windows Command Prompt before, the only thing I know is cd (so I can at least get to the directory)

2. If I can't install the .INF file, are there any Atheros drivers out there (preferably by .exe) that will work with the Atheros AR5BMB-44 wifi card?

Last edited:
Hi Vignesh S,

this isn't my area really but I know some one who may know and I'll see if a pm can get them to take a look at your problem..

Depending on what driver it for, go to Control > Panel > Device Manager, choose Update Driver Software, then navigate to the directory where the .inf file is and select that.

I have a laptop that has an Atheros AR5BMB-44 chip. Now, the problem is that the driver isn't an .exe file, but rather 3 files: .sys, .a security catalogue and our troublesome .INF file. The problem is that I can't seem to install it by right clicking it and clicking on Install. It comes up with a dialogue box saying that \"The INF file you selected does not support this method of installation\". I have absolutely no idea what to do, and the wifi driver Windows Vista is currently using (AR5004g) doesn't work with this wifi card.

So my questions are:
1. How do I install the .INF file? Never navigated my way around the Windows Command Prompt before, the only thing I know is cd (so I can at least get to the directory)

2. If I can't install the .INF file, are there any Atheros drivers out there (preferably by .exe) that will work with the Atheros AR5BMB-44 wifi card?

I did some googling and found this link which may help:
Link Removed due to 404 Error

Why thankyou sir... :)

Praise from Reghakr is praise indeed! :cool:

Back