Windows 7 Are their any logs to see where and install failed?

cmgoblue

Hello,

I am trying up upgrade a Dell E510 with XP to Windows 7. I run the 32 bit upgrade CD and it expands all the files and does its first reboot. It comes to a black screen that says STARTING WINDOWS. Nothing else. The computer basically stops at this point. How do I trouble shoot what is happening with the install? Anyone have any suggestions to fix? :(

Hello,

I am trying up upgrade a Dell E510 with XP to Windows 7. I run the 32 bit upgrade CD and it expands all the files and does its first reboot. It comes to a black screen that says STARTING WINDOWS. Nothing else. The computer basically stops at this point. How do I trouble shoot what is happening with the install? Anyone have any suggestions to fix? :(
How long are you giving it to work? Does it look like the hard drive light is flickering or the DVD drive light? Are either one of those on all the time?

Hello Saltgrass,

I let it go for over an hour. Nothing. I looked at the logs that were referenced. The last entries are that the system is rebooting and that is it. Nothing to tell me why is hanging up on this starting screen. Anyone else have an insight as to why my machine is locking up. Also REGHAKR mentions about good quality DVD roms. Have an original STORE BOUGHT DVD and I have tried a DOWNLOADED created DVD that I made. Neither worked.

PLEASE HELP! This is very frustrating.

Please look over the threads at the bottom of this page in relation to your problem.

Look over the Appliations log

Last edited:
Regahakr,

I did review the post below, but nothing seems to help or is related to my issues. I am not sure where the application log that you are speaking about is located. However I did run the WINDOWS 7 UPGRADE compatibility tool. My system Checked out clean. So I was excited about that. I figure the upgrade would go smoothly. However it keeps getting stuck in the same place.

Also for some additional information I tried to boot with the DVD room as well. The same thing happens. I get stuck in the STARTING WINDOWS screen and that is it. The c:\windows.~bt\sources\Panther\seupact.log shows the same last step. REBOOTING. That is it. Nothing else.

Well I have gone ahead and called the Dread Microsoft Tech support. Spent 2 hours on the phone with them and they still do not have a clue what is wrong. Basically they tried everything I already did. I have been escalated to Level 2 support. So someone tomorrow will try to get a hold of me. CASE NUMBER in case anyone cares is 1115893605. I will let you know what happens.

Thanks

Reghakr,

I believe the will provide free support for the first 60 days and for installation problems only. However I am not 100% sure on that fact. To this point there has been no mention of any cost. I have also been asking for help on the MS ANSWER forum and there is at least one other person with a DELL E510 having the same problem. It is good to know I am not the only person having the problem.

Here is the link to the other forum if you would like to track that as well. Link Removed - Invalid URL

I will keep you posted if I hear back from Level 2 at Microsoft.

You are doing a Custom (clean) install from XP, right?

Did Microsoft ask you to check or send them any specific files?

Last edited:
Hello All, Well Microsoft Level 2 got back to me. They resolved my issue. As strange as it sounds it was a MEMORY issue. They had me pull all but one of my 2 GIG RAM modules, as as soon as I did that the installation moved on just fine. So I guess the bottom line is that some memory is not acceptable. After my install was complete I re-installed the 2nd of my 2 GIG RAM module and everything is working fine. The upgrade took place and my computer is running Windows 7. Strange but TRUE. PROBLEM RESOLVED!!!!! http://windows7forums.com/images/smilies/razz.gif

Back