Windows Vista Arial Narrow font not showing up after going to Vista

Ballyshannon

I'm a graphic designer and have been through many iterations of Windows over the years and Arial Narrow font has always been available in all programs...Photoshop, Pagemaker, In Design, Word, etc. However, after a recent major crash of my Win XP Pro system that affected the motherboard, I was forced to start over and now have a new system using Vista Home Premium. I have a disk with all my fonts that I burned a few years ago, including Arial Narrow. I loaded the font disk into the new system and Arial Narrow isn't available in InDesign or Photoshop but is available in Word. Very odd.

I lay out several color magazines in InDesign and use Arial Narrow quite often. If I no longer have it available, I'll have to change everything I've done to a different font....which would be a pain in the &^&*(.

Any ideas why Arial Narrow isn't available in these programs after going to Vista?

DC

Re: Aerial Narrow font not showing up after going to Vista

Hi! I have no idea about this problem. However I did see a post which you may wish to look over... Link Removed - Invalid URL If anything it shows you can have aerial narrow on Vista Home Premium. Maybe you need to install some software perhaps ?

I'm a graphic designer and have been through many iterations of Windows over the years and Arial Narrow font has always been available in all programs...Photoshop, Pagemaker, In Design, Word, etc. However, after a recent major crash of my Win XP Pro system that affected the motherboard, I was forced to start over and now have a new system using Vista Home Premium. I have a disk with all my fonts that I burned a few years ago, including Arial Narrow. I loaded the font disk into the new system and Arial Narrow isn't available in InDesign or Photoshop but is available in Word. Very odd.

I lay out several color magazines in InDesign and use Arial Narrow quite often. If I no longer have it available, I'll have to change everything I've done to a different font....which would be a pain in the &^&*(.

Any ideas why Arial Narrow isn't available in these programs after going to Vista?

DC

Hi,

after googling your problem I found quite a bit of information on this particular problem and even a hotfix:

Description of the 2007 Office hotfix package (Gfonts.msp): August 26, 2008

I'm not 100% sure this will cure your problem about seeing the fonts in adobe products but it may be worth a try...

Thanks for the info and links. I'm not sure that will solve my problem since Arial Narrow is available in Office. The problem I'm having seems Adobe based, so I'll get on the Adobe forums and see what I can dig up.

I'm very tempted to just 86 Vista and go back to XP Pro that provided a basically solid OS with none of the issues I'm now dealing with in Vista. That means starting over again after just finishing loading everything and getting my custom settings set, but it may be worth it in the long run. I'm very busy and need to be working, not dealing with Vista's unstable personality. Vista's like a tempermental child that runs into a corner saying, "No. I'm just not going to do it!" Maybe it's the Win ME of the times?

Fonts aren't my only problem with Vista. I have a fax program that doesn't support Vista so will have to purchase another one. My Epson scanner won't load, even using the Vista driver downloaded from Epson and following the directions. I have over 300 Pagemaker 6.5 files that are useless since not only does Vista not support Pagemaker (or vice-versa), but unlike XP Pro where I could open any Pagemaker file in InDesign CS2, I can't do it in Vista. And the list goes on. Aggravating.

DC

EDIT: Actually, I just noticed that Arial Narrow is available in InDesign under the Arial drop down list. However, there's no Narrow Bold, Narrow Italic or Narrow Bold Italic available.

Thanks for the info and links. I'm not sure that will solve my problem since Arial Narrow is available in Office. The problem I'm having seems Adobe based, so I'll get on the Adobe forums and see what I can dig up.

I'm very tempted to just 86 Vista and go back to XP Pro that provided a basically solid OS with none of the issues I'm now dealing with in Vista. That means starting over again after just finishing loading everything and getting my custom settings set, but it may be worth it in the long run. I'm very busy and need to be working, not dealing with Vista's unstable personality. Vista's like a tempermental child that runs into a corner saying, "No. I'm just not going to do it!" Maybe it's the Win ME of the times?

Fonts aren't my only problem with Vista. I have a fax program that doesn't support Vista so will have to purchase another one. My Epson scanner won't load, even using the Vista driver downloaded from Epson and following the directions. I have over 300 Pagemaker 6.5 files that are useless since not only does Vista not support Pagemaker (or vice-versa), but unlike XP Pro where I could open any Pagemaker file in InDesign CS2, I can't do it in Vista. And the list goes on. Aggravating.

DC

EDIT: Actually, I just noticed that Aerial Narrow is available in InDesign under the Aerial drop down list. However, there's no Narrow Bold, Narrow Italic or Narrow Bold Italic available.
I know how frustrating Vista can be, I put a business venture I was planning on hold because couldn't figure (funny attitude) in my machine. Constant registry errors, A driver that couldn't download and everybody had bad software. --Not so bad now. I saw a problem with Adobe regarding Flash and Aeriel Narrow- Although I think that post I gave you, they might be able to help you more. (Windows 7 with Vista may be the better way to go-- XP is up in two years).

I know how frustrating Vista can be, I put a business venture I was planning on hold because couldn't figure (funny attitude) in my machine. Constant registry errors, A driver that couldn't download and everybody had bad software. --Not so bad now. I saw a problem with Adobe regarding Flash and Aeriel Narrow- Although I think that post I gave you, they might be able to help you more. (Windows 7 with Vista may be the better way to go-- XP is up in two years).

You're right. The tech who builds my computers and is also a beta tester for Microsoft and others knows I like XP but suggested I go with Vista because of Microsoft's eventual lack of support. He's now beta testing Win 7 and urged me to hang on with Vista until Win 7 is released and appears stable. Actually, Vista is working well except for my Pagemaker dilemma and not being able to get those documents...and my Epson scanner is still not working. I downloaded the Vista driver for it but during the load it's looking for an INF file that doesn't exist in the Vista driver. As a graphic designer, I need the scanner, so it's aggravating.

What kind of computer have you got ? Is it a 32 or a 64 bit ? May God help you if its a 64-- Epson isn't a good printer for Vista from what I've read. What model number do you have ?

What kind of computer have you got ? Is it a 32 or a 64 bit ? May God help you if its a 64-- Epson isn't a good printer for Vista from what I've read. What model number do you have ?

It's a custom system built by a friend I mentioned in the previous post who owns a computer business in a town about 50 mi from here. He's been building my systems for the past 12 years or so and they've always been great. We've always been able to trade out my graphics services for his computers, so it's been a nice situation. However, this is the first time he hasn't had any work for me, so had to pay for the hardware that was ordered specifically for my needs. This new one is using an ASUS P5Q Pro motherboard with an Intel dual core 3.1Ghz processor, running a RAID array of two WD 250GB SATA drives, 4GB of memory, and an ASUS/ATI video card. I'm running the system in 32 bit. It's, well...FAST. I'm not using an Epson printer. The Epson mentioned is a 1240U scanner. My printers are an HP 1022 B&W laser and a Konica Minolta Magicolor 2530DL color laser, both of which are working fine with Vista.

We had the scanner working fine a few days ago, then I had to unhook everything and take it back to him so he could install a couple things that we've been waiting on, and when I got it back home and all hooked back up, everything worked but the scanner. I plugged it into a different USB port so that may have confused it. I know it was working once, so it's just a matter of doing everything in the proper sequence....which we don't remember! So now it's trial and error. If it worked once, it can do it again.

I have no problems with the way Vista is running, or the interface. It's just the software quirks I'm running into...like not supporting Pagemaker or allowing InDesign CS2 to open Pagemaker files which was no problem in XP Pro. I can get around the Arial Narrow issue in Adobe by using a different font but I'd sure like to get those Pagemaker files back.

You can either work with Epson to modify or repair your scanner driver. You use the Twain 5 Driver V5.71 A Vista 32 Bit released 3-23-07 ? (Buttons and Help Functionality in Driver are not support by Vista) Or, This gentleman has had great success modifying Printer and Scanner Drivers. There are very recent posts at the bottom. Link Removed - Invalid URL He gives his technique....He was trying to make a driver for his 64 bit out of another model.

I called Epson and after about 40 minutes on the phone with two different techs, they were unable to get the scanner operating. But after doing some reflecting on what my friend and I did to get it operating with Vista a few days ago, I remembered using the disk that came with the scanner and that it contains a PnP folder. I used this to update the driver and it's working fine now. So I first installed the Vista TWAIN driver that I downloaded from Epson, then used the installation CD to load the PnP driver. This may help others who have similar issues with their Epson scanner.

I called Epson and after about 40 minutes on the phone with two different techs, they were unable to get the scanner operating. But after doing some reflecting on what my friend and I did to get it operating with Vista a few days ago, I remembered using the disk that came with the scanner and that it contains a PnP folder. I used this to update the driver and it's working fine now. So I first installed the Vista TWAIN driver that I downloaded from Epson, then used the installation CD to load the PnP driver. This may help others who have similar issues with their Epson scanner.
Glad to hear you got it working.... Thought maybe scanner is broken. (Epson doesn't give nice enough instructions, can't repeat things enough. Hewlett Packer will tell you to put your CD in after the driver download....) Here is a link for your font problem---at the bottom of the page their are other links that may assist you. http://www.technologyquestions.com/technology/microsoft-office/283765-font-problems-after-vista.html

Glad to hear you got it working.... Thought maybe scanner is broken. (Epson doesn't give nice enough instructions, can't repeat things enough. Hewlett Packer will tell you to put your CD in after the driver download....) Here is a link for your font problem---at the bottom of the page their are other links that may assist you. Font Problems after Vista - Technology Questions

Thanks again, Celestra. I still haven't come across anything that will get me Arial Narrow bold, italic, and bold italic back so will just start using a different font. I'm tired of fighting this stuff.

UPDATE regarding the Arial Narrow font issue:

I downloaded and installed the hot fix, deleted the .lst files and am now able to use all the Arial Narrow family in InDesign....except bold. And here's the deal with that. Before downloading the hot fix, I'd read that using an older version of Arial Narrow would work. So as a test, I found an older version on a CD of fonts and installed the older version of Arial Narrow Bold (v2.30), overwriting the newer version (v2.37). Needless to say it didn't work. BTW, in checking the original version of the Arial Narrow fonts, all are v2.40 except bold, which is v2.37. Odd.

It was then that I downloaded and installed the hot fix, afterwhich all Arial Narrow fonts were available in InDesign...except Arial Narrow Bold...the one I'd replaced. Normally when doing something like this I back up the original file or font but this time I didn't. I contacted a friend who's running the same basic system (Vista Home Prem/Office 2007) and he sent me the most current Arial Narrow Bold, v2.37. I installed it, overwriting the older version but didn't fix the problem.

So I'm wondering if the hot fix I downloaded only works when the original version font is installed...in this case, v2.37, and not if the font is installed AFTER the fix is loaded. I overwrote that font with the older version before I loaded the hot fix. If there were a way to uninstall that fix, I'd do it but have no idea how to do it. I don't see anything in Add/Remove. I'm thinking if I can uninstall or remove the hot fix then reinstall it with the newest version Arial Narrow Bold now back in the system, it may work. ???

Hi Celestra,
Yes, that's me over on the Adobe forum....D Cannon, and as I said in the post, finally figured it out. So all is rolling along pretty well now and I'm having no real issues with Vista.

DC

Hi Celestra,
Yes, that's me over on the Adobe forum....D Cannon, and as I said in the post, finally figured it out. So all is rolling along pretty well now and I'm having no real issues with Vista.

DC

I'm glad you worked the problem out. When people get into fonts, this thread will be helpful.

Back
Top Bottom