Asus Anti Surge

Discussion in 'Windows 10 Hardware' started by sew333, Feb 4, 2017.

1. sew333

sew333 New Member

Hi fast question. My mobo Asus Z170-P and psu Corsair 750RM. 3 months ago there was power outage ( for short time ) in my house,and my pc restart with message: "“Power supply surges detected during the previous power on ASUS anti-surge was triggered to protect system from unstable supply unit.” Press F1 to continue." After restart is again fine. So question. Why after power outage i get that msg? Is this normal?

In bios i have AC POWER LOSS RESTART OFF. So why it is restarts with Anti Surge instead of shutting down?

I was in work when that happened so i cant tell how long was power outage.

2. ussnorway

ussnorway Windows Forum Team
    Staff Member Premium Supporter

yes... that is what the motherboard should do

your system detected a surge i.e, too much power to fast... a power outage is not the same thing but they do offen happen one after the other

p.s, there are some posts on the net from people saying the Asus surge guard is set to fine imo these people should test their power suply first

3. sew333

sew333 New Member

I was trying to figure out if my power was out last night during the small power outage so I can figure out whether to throw away perishable foods. I think my computer was on when I came home this morning (although I was tired so I certainly could have turned it on without thinking). I don't have the "startup automatically after a power failure" checked in energy saver nor do I have a UPS. If I type "last" in terminal, it has a reboot at 4:37am this morning (I was not here at that time). Also, the system log says

4:37:43 AM locationd: locationd was started after an unclean shutdown

So that seems to indicated that computer shut down and restarted on its own with + yes, ANTI SURGE WARNING.

I did a test. I unplugged my pc for about a minute. It didn't start up on its own.

Could it be that there was a very brief power disruption/flicker that caused it to reboot on its own?

#3 sew333, Feb 4, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2017
  4. trstick1

trstick1 Active Member

To protect your system from future power surges, you should buy a Cyberpower battery backup system.

Sent from my Mix using Tapatalk

5. ussnorway

its more likly a windows update or driver error that caused the reboot... all Asus surge events are marked as such so there would be a record of it

6. sew333

sew333 New Member

No events only nvstreamuseragent error in logs. Thats all. But that was because not clean shutdown.

Could it be that there was a very brief power disruption/flicker that caused it to reboot on its own?

7. ussnorway

no... the fact that it booted back up = event recorded.
    if the power (or any other issue) disables the event recorder then the system would have stayed off until you took command... the Asus surge guard doesn't need windows

is the system working ok now... has not been dropping into sleep mode or otherwise mucking up?