Asus Anti Surge

sew333

Hi fast question. My mobo Asus Z170-P and psu Corsair 750RM. 3 months ago there was power outage ( for short time ) in my house,and my pc restart with message: "“Power supply surges detected during the previous power on ASUS anti-surge was triggered to protect system from unstable supply unit.” Press F1 to continue." After restart is again fine. So question. Why after power outage i get that msg? Is this normal?

In bios i have AC POWER LOSS RESTART OFF. So why it is restarts with Anti Surge instead of shutting down?

I was in work when that happened so i cant tell how long was power outage.

Is this normal?
yes... that is what the motherboard should do

AC POWER LOSS RESTART OFF. So why it is restarts with Anti Surge instead of shutting down?
your system detected a surge i.e, too much power to fast... a power outage is not the same thing but they do offen happen one after the other

p.s, there are some posts on the net from people saying the Asus surge guard is set to fine imo these people should test their power suply first

I was trying to figure out if my power was out last night during the small power outage so I can figure out whether to throw away perishable foods. I think my computer was on when I came home this morning (although I was tired so I certainly could have turned it on without thinking). I don't have the "startup automatically after a power failure" checked in energy saver nor do I have a UPS. If I type "last" in terminal, it has a reboot at 4:37am this morning (I was not here at that time). Also, the system log says

4:37:43 AM locationd: locationd was started after an unclean shutdown

So that seems to indicated that computer shut down and restarted on its own with + yes, ANTI SURGE WARNING.

I did a test. I unplugged my pc for about a minute. It didn't start up on its own.

Could it be that there was a very brief power disruption/flicker that caused it to reboot on its own?

Last edited:
To protect your system from future power surges, you should buy a Cyberpower battery backup system.

Sent from my Mix using Tapatalk

Could it be that there was a very brief power disruption/flicker that caused it to reboot on its own?
its more likly a windows update or driver error that caused the reboot... all Asus surge events are marked as such so there would be a record of it

No events only nvstreamuseragent error in logs. Thats all. But that was because not clean shutdown.

no... the fact that it booted back up = event recorded.
if the power (or any other issue) disables the event recorder then the system would have stayed off until you took command... the Asus surge guard doesn't need windows

is the system working ok now... has not been dropping into sleep mode or otherwise mucking up?

Hi
I have had my self built gaming pc for about a month now and I am beginning to get problems with anti surge feature on my Asus M5A78L-M LX3 Motherboard. I will be gaming for about an hour then suddenly the pc will restart and the bios screen pops up with the message:"power supply surges detected during the previous power on. Asus anti-surge was triggered to protect system from unstable power supply".
I have heard that the anti surge feature is over sensitive but I am scared to turn it off in case it fries everything!
Is this the motherboard acting up or the psu?

I don't trust anti surge feature on any motherboard. You are better off having a battery backup system for your computer.

Sent from my MLA-TL10 using Tapatalk

A battery back up is to allow you to shut down when power goes off and a surge guard protects against excessive power frying your components... One is aimed at over clockers and the other at data / server users

ussnorway: True. Most surge guard will fail after the first power surge. The MOVs in surge guard will be damaged and will not protect your system the second time there is another power surge. It is why I use Zero Surge products that never fail after a power surge.

Sent from my MLA-TL10 using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom