Windows 7 ATI Catalyst won't install

superdave420

Hello, I have a toshiba satellite a300 PSAGCC-06H019 that i've recently installed windows 7 RC 7100 on. I upgraded from vista home premium x64 to 32 bit windows 7 and couldn't get CCC to install. (normally the WDDM Microsoft drivers would be okay, but I am connecting my computer to my TV and I need CCC to stretch the picture and eliminate the black border around my TV.

I couldn't get that to work, so I did a fresh install of RC 7100 x64 and I still have the same problems.

I manually installed the ATI 9.5 drivers, but there is no CCC in the start menu or on my C drive.

When I try using the catalyst installer, it goes really fast, and says it was installed properly but there is nothing on my system other than the folders that the installer extracts to start installation (c:/ati/), and windows tells me to reinstall it with recommended settings. When I do THAT, it gets to about 60% and hangs, with my cpu usage hovering at around 50%.

please don't make me go back to vista!

Intel Centrino t5800 2.0ghz
ATI Radeon mobility 3470
4gb ram

Not sure if your 3470 is an HD version or not, but what I can tell you is that ATI has only released working CCC drivers for the HD card series and Windows 7. You could try installing them in Vista compatibility mode, but I have tried on a couple of laptops to get CCC installed with no luck.

I'd try what Loathe said first but if that doesn't work you might have to install/update the .net framework in order to install the CCC.. ;) Worth a shot.. :)

Not sure if your 3470 is an HD version or not, but what I can tell you is that ATI has only released working CCC drivers for the HD card series and Windows 7. You could try installing them in Vista compatibility mode, but I have tried on a couple of laptops to get CCC installed with no luck.

sorry, yeah, ATI Radeon HD 3470

I had the same problem with my desktop, which is using an asus radeon eax1550. I was able to use the MS wddm drivers for that system because i'm not hooking it up to my tv and there is no black border. I have the catalyst DRIVERS working on my laptop (manually installing drivers thru the device manager-->manually selecting the folders that the CCC installer created), but I can't get the catalyst CONTROL CENTER to install... it's giving me a headache. :frown:

Last edited:
Should work then. Maybe try an earlier version of CCC. You mentioned both x86 and x64 Windows 7, did you download the correct package for your OS?

ok, I uninstalled the CIM, ... it uninstalled hydravision as well, but don't you need CCC to have hydravision? anyways, got rid of all ATI software on the computer, I downloaded the 9.5 catalyst suite from amd.com for vista x64, installed it, and the same thing happens. no CCC.

Whenever I try and reinstall the drivers windows always downloads the MS drivers automatically instead of allowing me to choose which drivers I want. (When I click "skip obtaining drivers from windows update" it goes to another screen saying it's downloading drivers for generic vga controller and it downloads the MS drivers automatically again, only this time I can't click on the skip option.) If I try and update the drivers through the device manager, it says the best drivers are already installed.

I've tried installing the control center standalone, but the same thing happens as when I try and install the suite. There is a folder created in my root directory c:/amd/support and all that is in there is a few folders and an option to run the catalyst install manager. I can't find any CCC, and there is none in the start menu.

This is definitely a strange one.. ;) And a perfect example of how Windows Updates are way too intrusive by default.. ;)

If you use the roll back driver option, Windows will not reinstall it again untill you tell it to. If you highlight a device and push delete, you can uninstall the driver and permamently remove it form you system.

So in your first post you said you got CCC to install but it didnt find the driver? Did you restart? Are you able to point Windows to the driver afterwards?
Under the drivers tab click update driver > browse my computer... > let me pick... > have disk > then direct it to the LH6A_INF folder in the ATI folder in C:

ok, I have an idea. When I first ran windows update after installing, there was an optional update for ati radeon hd 3400 series that I installed, but it is not available to uninstall.

so I'm going to reinstall windows and install the catalyst suite without doing the update.

will post later

Any update? I have the Radeon HD 3650 with dual-DVI and I can't get it to install either. Almost the same issues. I download the latest drivers, install, and ... nothing. No CCC or drivers or anything. I've experienced the same as below:
Whenever I try and reinstall the drivers windows always downloads the MS drivers automatically instead of allowing me to choose which drivers I want. (When I click "skip obtaining drivers from windows update" it goes to another screen saying it's downloading drivers for generic vga controller and it downloads the MS drivers automatically again, only this time I can't click on the skip option.) If I try and update the drivers through the device manager, it says the best drivers are already installed.

Anyone? (Windows 7 doesn't even recognize that I have 2 Dell 19" flat panels attached... just that it thinks there's one.... (but both are on and cloned).

--kC

I installed windows XP .... works great!

lol I gave up on windows 7 so I bought xp pro x64 ... windows 7 may be free for now but it sure sucks ass!

might be okay if you have a geforce, but radeon is no go ... I have a radeon x1550 in my lenovo desktop and a radeon hd 3470 in my toshiba laptop and no catalyst between the two ... oh well

Tried an HD4870 in my desktop yesterday, to replace an ailing nVidia GTX280 card. (I thought I had driver conflicts, but it turned out to be a dying card.)

The Catalyst 9.6 drivers installed without a hitch in Win7 X64 build 7232. I haven't tried anything advanced: no Crossfire, no multiple monitors. HDCP through my DVI interface is supported, though.

I see that the X1550 isn't listed as supported by the Win7 drivers, although I'm surprised that the Vista drivers (which exist) don't work. The mobility Radeon 3000 series is supposed to be supported by the 9.6 drivers.

In the past, I've had trouble with the Catalyst installer package. I had a Crossfire X setup running under Vista. I gave up on it after having an installer package unable to detect the second card. I would have been more inclined to say "AMD sucks!" rather than "Vista sucks!", though.

Hey, I have the same problem. Sorry for bringing back a dead thread, but I give up. I have tried the vista version, windows 7 version, xp version, everything. I just uninstalled the drivers I had, so now i have the default 600x800 resoultion, on my 1440x900 monitor. It wont install the drivers either. I have windows 7, i tried windows update, no new stuff came up. I even tried the CD that came with my motherboard, but it doesn't support windows 7 *.* My video card before was a 9800GT, that worked fine, but it burnt out and i cant find reciept to use the warranty. So now i am stuck with my default on board graphics, ATI 2100. I want to turn some stuff off on it, to run the pitiful small amount of games it can run, but even that wont work. I have XP, I am thinking about downgrading since XP has the least problems. Is there any solution for this now, before I downgrade my computer? I hate going through the hassle of reinstalling everything and backing up my files.

Boot to safe mode + networking. Download Driver Sweeper from guru3d.com. Use it to clear both the ATI and NVIDIA drivers/settings/software for video.

Reboot and install the latest chipset and video drivers for your motherboard, from the manufacturer's site.

Hey, I have the same problem. Sorry for bringing back a dead thread, but I give up. I have tried the vista version, windows 7 version, xp version, everything. I just uninstalled the drivers I had, so now i have the default 600x800 resoultion, on my 1440x900 monitor. It wont install the drivers either. I have windows 7, i tried windows update, no new stuff came up. I even tried the CD that came with my motherboard, but it doesn't support windows 7 *.* My video card before was a 9800GT, that worked fine, but it burnt out and i cant find reciept to use the warranty. So now i am stuck with my default on board graphics, ATI 2100. I want to turn some stuff off on it, to run the pitiful small amount of games it can run, but even that wont work. I have XP, I am thinking about downgrading since XP has the least problems. Is there any solution for this now, before I downgrade my computer? I hate going through the hassle of reinstalling everything and backing up my files.

There are several ways you can install a device driver either through the usual method or by using the Device manager. I'd clear out whatever drivers you have as suggested (I'd run the driver cleaner more than once although a word of warning about using the driver cleaner.. It will either aid you or ultimately present you with more problems than you started with it just depends on what state your machine is already in. You may end up re-installing anyway)
Once your sure all drivers have been removed re install using the driver found here:

Motherboard/ Integrated Video Drivers for Windows 7 32-Bit
edition

I assumed you were using 32bit let me if this isn't the case

yeah i have 32 bit. and i already tried installing that one lol, i have file still, so i will start in safe mode w/ networking and try to wipe drivers(only video) with that thing, driver sweeper, then i restart normally, and try to install the Motherboard/ Integrated Video Drivers for Windows 7 32-Bit
which i have already on my PC. I hope it works!! I think that might be problem because i remmeber it working before i put in my video card lol.
http://sites.amd.com/us/game/downloads/Pages/integrated-win7-32.aspx

double post yay.
Got rid of all my nvidia stuff, ati stuff, everything, restarted out of safe mode, installed the onboard drivers, didnt work, i restarted it, on an off chance i installed the drivers from the mother board site, doesnt work either. XP, IM COMMIN HOME!!

xp installed, prob solved lol

Last edited:
John just out of interest what is your actual set-up? Glad to hear you have at least got a solution of sorts..

My motherboard is a GA-MA746MS2, gaming edition
850W Kingwin PSU
2.5GHz Quad Core
2GB DDR2
Crappy *** 160GB HDD(weakest link)
used to have 9800GT video card but it broke.... started artifacting. i might try it again now that i have xp cause it worked fine on xp... also my dvd burner stopped working on windows 7 lol...

Back