ATI Drivers dissapear with I add more than 4gb of Ram

Discussion in 'Windows 7 Hardware' started by akatsuki5, Jan 23, 2009.

1. akatsuki5

akatsuki5 New Member

Hi All,

Win 7 works perfectly for me so far until recently I added additional ram to my system.

I have 4gb(2slots) of DDR2 Ram installed currently, but when I added an additional set of 4Gb(Same Company/Speed/Brand/Line) my mobo and Win7 recognizes the additional Ram but I get a Message that says my ATI driver are no longer functioning and I should visit the website.

Win 7 doesnt recognize my monitors, my dual display debunks to a mirrored display instead of extending and I cant uninstall or reinstall catalyst.

But, If I remove the additional Ram everything goes back to normal.

my setup

MSI K9A2 Platnium
    Amd Agena 9600 Quad
    ATI HD 3850
    Ram-G Skill 6400-800 2gb(4 total)
    Windows 7 (64bit)

Thanks, hopefully someone can help.

-Rod

2. BlackWolf

BlackWolf New Member

that sounds really strange because the two are not really connected. only thing I could imagine would be unsufficient power ... is your power adapter strong enough to supply the additional RAM? did/does it work with another OS?

3. akatsuki5

akatsuki5 New Member

Thanks for the Reply

I'm using a Raidmax 530w power supply, additional items are
    DVDRW
    (2)Barracuda Hard Drives

I think the power is sufficent. I also dont understand why the ram would effect the videocard drivers and catalyst, but it does. As soon as I remove it everything goes back to normal.I also tried just one additional stick for 6gbs of Ram, but the result is the same.

4. BlackWolf

BlackWolf New Member

Well, if possible somehow you should try another OS (preferably vista). Because this is the only way to make sure it's either a hardware problem (mainboard broken?) or a windows 7 problem (in which case you can't do much except send feedback I guess).

5. Kyle

Kyle New Member

This guy's post shows the same issue: http://windows7forums.com/windows-7-hardware/1496-windows-7-64bit-8gb-memory-ati-video-driver.html

That's his specs.
    The common points:
    Quad core AMD's
    G-Skill DDR2-800 RAM.
    ATI's HD Series Video Cards
    AMD's 790FX Chipset

Gotta be something to do with one of those points.

6. akatsuki5

akatsuki5 New Member

Figured it out, has nothing to do with Windows 7 compatibility but with Catalyst 8.12 (64bit). Apparently vista 64-bit users are having the same problem.

Catalyst 8.12 has been out for only a few weeks now, so until ATI paches this problem either drop down to 4gb or install 8.11 and everything should be fine. I havent done so yet, but after I finish this msg I will. Ill post back my results but its sounds promising.

amd forum where people are having the same problem
    AMD Game Forums - Catalyst 8.12 vista x64 8gb ram WOW issue

catalyst 8.11
    Catalystâ„¢ 8.11 Display Driver for Windows Vista (64 bit)

Cheers Guys
    -Rod