Windows 7 ATI Drivers dissapear with I add more than 4gb of Ram

akatsuki5

Hi All,

Win 7 works perfectly for me so far until recently I added additional ram to my system.

I have 4gb(2slots) of DDR2 Ram installed currently, but when I added an additional set of 4Gb(Same Company/Speed/Brand/Line) my mobo and Win7 recognizes the additional Ram but I get a Message that says my ATI driver are no longer functioning and I should visit the website.

Win 7 doesnt recognize my monitors, my dual display debunks to a mirrored display instead of extending and I cant uninstall or reinstall catalyst.

But, If I remove the additional Ram everything goes back to normal.

my setup

MSI K9A2 Platnium
Amd Agena 9600 Quad
ATI HD 3850
Ram-G Skill 6400-800 2gb(4 total)
Windows 7 (64bit)

Thanks, hopefully someone can help.

-Rod

that sounds really strange because the two are not really connected. only thing I could imagine would be unsufficient power ... is your power adapter strong enough to supply the additional RAM? did/does it work with another OS?

that sounds really strange because the two are not really connected. only thing I could imagine would be unsufficient power ... is your power adapter strong enough to supply the additional RAM? did/does it work with another OS?

Thanks for the Reply

I'm using a Raidmax 530w power supply, additional items are
DVDRW
(2)Barracuda Hard Drives

I think the power is sufficent. I also dont understand why the ram would effect the videocard drivers and catalyst, but it does. As soon as I remove it everything goes back to normal.I also tried just one additional stick for 6gbs of Ram, but the result is the same.

Thanks for the Reply

I'm using a Raidmax 530w power supply, additional items are
DVDRW
(2)Barracuda Hard Drives

I think the power is sufficent. I also dont understand why the ram would effect the videocard drivers and catalyst, but it does. As soon as I remove it everything goes back to normal.I also tried just one additional stick for 6gbs of Ram, but the result is the same.

Well, if possible somehow you should try another OS (preferably vista). Because this is the only way to make sure it's either a hardware problem (mainboard broken?) or a windows 7 problem (in which case you can't do much except send feedback I guess).

Figured it out, has nothing to do with Windows 7 compatibility but with Catalyst 8.12 (64bit). Apparently vista 64-bit users are having the same problem.

Catalyst 8.12 has been out for only a few weeks now, so until ATI paches this problem either drop down to 4gb or install 8.11 and everything should be fine. I havent done so yet, but after I finish this msg I will. Ill post back my results but its sounds promising.

amd forum where people are having the same problem
AMD Game Forums - Catalyst 8.12 vista x64 8gb ram WOW issue

catalyst 8.11
Link Removed - Invalid URL

Cheers Guys
-Rod

Back