Windows 7 Auctioned productkeys

bitdyr

Hey.

I have the RC-version and its about to expire. I have found quite many selling productkeys on places such as Ebay, where they send you a key and you have to download windows 7 yourself.

I'm pretty unsure how a productkey can be sold for 20$ when microsoft wants 220$ for the same key+cd's.

Anyone have tried this, is it safe?

Hijacked or stolen in many cases and purchasing this way does not mean your product will activate. I would not purchase nor would I recommend you do so

Hey.

I have the RC-version and its about to expire. I have found quite many selling productkeys on places such as Ebay, where they send you a key and you have to download windows 7 yourself.

I'm pretty unsure how a productkey can be sold for 20$ when microsoft wants 220$ for the same key+cd's.

Anyone have tried this, is it safe?

I totally agree with the excellent advice already offered. Personally I'd rather relax knowing my copy of windows (or anything for that matter) is legit and not going to come back to haunt me at some future point..

Oh and just to add... If anyone is found selling such items on this site then an immediate ban will ensue as well being reported to the various concerned parties..

Good for you Bitdyr.. In the end it's the best way to go really if not just for peace of mind..

Thanks for updating your thread too. :)

Oh and just to add... If anyone is found selling such items on this site then an immediate ban will ensue as well being reported to the various concerned parties..

Exactly!

I would also not recommend purchasing a key this way.. ;)

Also note that pirated software is a primary source of malware so for security alone, it is always best to go through legitimate, and verifiable sources.

You have all convinced me.

I've dicided to updgrade my old xp-retail key, but I cant seem to find anything on amazon sying that the upgrades are retail?

I've dicided to updgrade my old xp-retail key, but I cant seem to find anything on amazon sying that the upgrades are retail?

On Amazon, you have a trusted retailer, it doesn't matter whether or not it states "retail upgrade".

Also, you'll likely have to buy a product key with Windows 7, as you can't directly upgrade from XP, only Vista, and fresh "clean" installation is always best.

Amazon.com: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium: Software

Understand that Windows 7 was not designed to support legacy, XP era hardware. There is too much potential for security problems doing that and Microsoft, rightfully so, does not want to get blamed again for not taking security seriously. Therefore, to avoid major headaches, make sure your old hardware is capable of supporting Win7 by running the Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor first.

Understand that Windows 7 was not designed to support legacy, XP era hardware. There is too much potential for security problems doing that and Microsoft, rightfully so, does not want to get blamed again for not taking security seriously. Therefore, to avoid major headaches, make sure your old hardware is capable of supporting Win7 by running the Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor first.

Agreed! This is a definite must do... Although 7 has a 'light footprint' it still needs relatively recent hardware to run properly. If your machine is over 3yrs old you might run into problems. As Digi said though, try the advisor and it'll put you straight.

Back