Windows 7 Audio Stutter on fresh install of Windows 7

proton

I just installed windows 7 yesterday. I took time to download the k-lite mega codec pack and vlc player. I get an audio stutter at intermittent intervals when I try to watch videos. Doesn't matter if I use Windows Media Player, WMC, VLC. I always get the stutter. It's like the audio just hangs up for a moment. I have updated my MOBO's driver, my video cards driver, installed realtek's latest release and nothing has fixed it. I'm at a loss for what to do. Anyone got some suggestions to try? Would buying a sound card fix the problem?

Edit: Wanted to add that the stutter sounds like a buzz and that it happens when doing anything audio related (even watching youtube vids).

Edit 2: MOBO = nvidia nforce 750i sli ftw

Last edited:
Is your motherboard Bios up to date with the latest version?

whats the playback setting at in the soundcards configs?? 16bit or 24bit? maybe try changing the rates also...44/48Khz is typical value some cards default at 96000+ and can cause such issues even when the driver supports it, and to be honest the human ear cant really detect the subtle differences beyond 48khz playback (Studio grade).

Last edited:
Problem is back. I have updated pretty much everything I could minos the bios b/c I can't find an update for it.

I have a EVGA 750i SLI FTW motherboard. There site doesn't show any updates for the bios either.

I didn't have the problem in Win7 beta, but with this official Win7, it's a HUGE issue since this PC is built for gaming and media. I can't even enjoy watching stuff on it b/c the audio stutters so frequently (like 4 times in the first minute and thirty seconds).

Edit: Wanted to add that with videos, the screen "stutters" too. It freezes for a split second when it happens.

Last edited:
Actually, I hadn't noticed the Bios Update option. I had just been selecting my motherboard. Thanks. I'll give it a try later.

Just gotta remember how to reset my bios to factory settings or even see if I had changed anything. I HATE messing with the BIOS. I don't think I changed it at all really, but I could have made a few minor changes. Is there a program to tell you what your bios is like (as far as changes or settings)?

Last edited:
Hmm... not really but when flashing it's always a good idea to return it to it's default settings before-hand.

Update:
Installed latest bios (via company website)
Installed latest Audio Driver (via company website)
Installed latest Graphics Driver (via company website)
Installed all Win7 updates (that showed up at least)
Installed latest Direct X.

Still have the problem. I'm at a complete loss as to why Win7 is doing this. The problem seems to be at the worst when I have more than one program open. In other words, if I have firefox running while trying to watch something, the problems come up more frequently. If I try to watch a video via firefox (like youtube), I still get problems. It's not just firefox though, the problem occurs when I have pretty much any program open. It's like my system is overloaded, but I have 4GB of ram, so I doubt that's the case unless win7 is a resource hog (then again, I'm running CA antivirus and I bet it's a resource hog too).

Anyone got any suggestions? Would contacting MS cost money since I just purchased this copy? Would contacting MS even do any good or would I just get some random person who has no clue what they are doing if it isn't on a checklist?

Bugger! I would have thought those updates would have seen this problem off... Hmm.. Have you considered re-installing windows in case the first install got corrupted in some way?
Proton could you please list your CPU and this is onboard sound we are talking about yes?

System Specs:
Win7 Home Premium 64 bit
Intel Core 2 Quad CPU Q8200 @ 2.33GHz
4.0GB Ram
EVGA 750i SLI FTW Motherboard w/ onboard sound
Nvidia GeForce GTS 250 Video Card

If I've left out anything, let me know and I'll update this post.
I would love to avoid re-installing windows since I've seen other people post that they had this problem. The thing is, I never came across a fix that worked for me.

ALSO, I want to mention again that the mouse lags a LOT too. I can be doing just about anything and the mouse will randomly just lag or go a little crazy. Overall, the system almost seems to lag some, but since Win7 beta worked perfectly, the problem has to be win7 retail. The graphics will lag too when the audio lag occurs. The latency checker also spikes whenever it happens.

Edit: I also wanted to say THANK YOU for all the help! I really appreciate it!

Last edited:
Do you have the latest chipset drivers? You didn't mention them so I just wondered?

Might just be another hardware thats conflicting. Did you try to unplug all your usbs?
Sounds definitely like a driver error though. If your hardware's not faulty.
Did you check your device manager if everything's allright?
Can be some irq's conflicting as well.
Also check in your bios that it's set ACPI mode.

In your bios is there a pci latency setting which is probably set to 64 if so change it to 32 or vice versa.

Thanks for the comments. Trying different things out now. I have updated all drivers and bios. That didn't fix it. Now I'm just turning off random programs that are running to see if I can find the culprit.

I don't wish to create another thread while this remains unresolved. I have the exact problem as the opener. I have tried everything including a repair install. The thing is that when I first installed everything it worked untill a week or so in.

The problem will temporary go away after a restart and will return after approximately 1 hour. I would hate to have to do a clean install again and have the problem return.

Here's to hoping that this problem gets fixed.

I don't wish to create another thread while this remains unresolved. I have the exact problem as the opener. I have tried everything including a repair install. The thing is that when I first installed everything it worked untill a week or so in.

The problem will temporary go away after a restart and will return after approximately 1 hour. I would hate to have to do a clean install again and have the problem return.

Here's to hoping that this problem gets fixed.

Ok, it seems that my problem is gone. I have no idea what exactly fixed it but I think that it was installing the latest direct X.

I had installed nvidia 197.13 beta drivers which introduced more problems so I rolled back without resetting. Intalled direct X and restarted and the problem seems to not have returned. I would post more info but it seems that no one have this problem or cares so I'll quit now.

Much thanks for updating Esqueue. Please feel free to update as necessary as there are some of us who are genuinely interested.. :)

I have had audio issues with my setup ever since I've installed windows 7.

It drives me nuts, but was never able to figure it out.

I have had audio issues with my setup ever since I've installed windows 7.

It drives me nuts, but was never able to figure it out.

It seems that the problem was not 100% repaired but much better after installing direct x.

It only skips when I am loading something.

I'll just have to live with the fact that windows 7 retail is flawed and hope that they address this issue. There are too many with this issue that didn't have a problem with the RC to be a hardware problem. It may be against the rules but since I actually purchased the retail and it is flawed, I have a right to get a hacked RC version (if it even exist) so that it can run good.

Kinda sad.

I have this same problem. For me, everything freezes. For example, when I'm in Chrome and the stutter happens, I have no control for about 1 second.

Have any definitive solutions been posted about this. It is really frustrating that these skips keep happening, especially since I recently got a new radeon 5850...boo

Back