Windows 7 auto login question

bdee1

i downloaded the 7000 build from a torrent yesterday (because the microsoft site was down) and installed it. generally it works well but i am having one problem. for some reason the default administrator account was called Gebruiker...

so i renamed the account to my name. but then the next time i rebooted, it got to the welcome screen and sais that the username or password was incorrect. i had to go to switch user and then choose other user and enter the username and password.

not sure why it is doing this and why it wont auto log into my own account now that it is renamed.

any ideas?

sounds like a seriously bogus copy of windows 7...
either that...
or an official copy of the beta...that someone had created an image by...& distributed out...

which I would be very weiry about whats inside of that OS.... maybe things to transfer information.
I would not have jumped to a torrent just because the site was down on 1 day...

I would have dl from rs before a torrent... torrents are evil

Make sure when you download your copy of Windows 7 you read the comments of the torrent to make sure it's not bogus. I also torrented it because the site was down but I read the comments to make sure my copy was the exact same one on Microsoft's website.

Heh, I have the same version. It's a customized/unattended install someone made. Just hit WinKey+R, type 'netplwiz' and tick "Users must supply a user name and password to use this computer". Problem solved.

Heh, I have the same version. It's a customized/unattended install someone made. Just hit WinKey+R, type 'netplwiz' and tick "Users must supply a user name and password to use this computer". Problem solved.

thanks for the advice... i have actually already tried that and it doesnt seem to work. it would still always default to the Gebruiker user. so i created a second user (set to administrator) and called it Bob2... then i deleted the original user which had been renamed to bob. and then renamed bob2 to bob.

so i now have a single user called bob. and it is set to auto login but now it always defaults to bob2 and tells me the password is incorrect and i still have to say "switch user" and then "other users" and then type in bob and the password.

ok so i have been screwing around with this some more and its still weird...

seems like every time i add a new user account and delete the previous, it is trying to auto login with the account i just deleted.

any ideas??

Last edited:
thanks for the advice... i have actually already tried that and it doesnt seem to work. it would still always default to the Gebruiker user. so i created a second user (set to administrator) and called it Bob2... then i deleted the original user which had been renamed to bob. and then renamed bob2 to bob.

so i now have a single user called bob. and it is set to auto login but now it always defaults to bob2 and tells me the password is incorrect and i still have to say "switch user" and then "other users" and then type in bob and the password.

ok so i have been screwing around with this some more and its still weird...

seems like every time i add a new user account and delete the previous, it is trying to auto login with the account i just deleted.

any ideas??

Create a technet account (free) and download the legit version from Microsoft. Keys and downloads have been opened up until Jan. 24th. No reason not to get the legit version and fix the issue properly.

Back