Windows 10 Auto upgrade failed 5 times since 7/29/15

Turbojoe

Honorable Member
I got a little curious and took a look at my Windows update history. Seems it tried to upgrade to Win 10 beginning 7/29. It has tried 5 times since with failures each time. Code 80240020. The help section just says to look for it again in available updates. It doesn't come up because it looks like the files are on the hard drive.
I checked my boot drive and $Windows.~BT is there @ 1.50gb. $Windows.~WS is also there @ 5.79GB

Is there something more to come in a later download? Surprising that it has even tried to upgrade so many times. While I'd like to have the upgrade it won't kill me to wait a little longer. Win 7 is still working fine for now. If there IS something wrong on my side I'd like to straighten it out though.

Oh yeah, "Watch for your notification that you can start your upgrade" when I click on the toolbar icon. Maybe I just need to be patient to let it do the auto upgrade.

Joe

Basically you kinda answered your own question... :) You do indeed need to wait until Microsoft give the signal. Microsoft has a 'Matrix of compatibility' and depending on where your system fit's component wise (components need driver support) in the matrix is when you'll get the all clear.
If you don't feel like waiting for that to happen you can speed things up a tad and initiate the upgrade yourself. You will need to download the upgrade files again but the process once started will see you upgraded within a few hours.
Run the media creation tool found on this page and click 'Upgrade now'
Windows 10

Thanks kemical. That was too damned easy! I'm now running Windows 10. I'll make another post in a bit about my experience.

Joe

Back