Windows 8 Automagic Home Group Icon

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Don't know if anyone else has seen this but at some point today a brand new and unwanted Home Group icon magically appeared on my otherwise clean and pristine Windows 8 Desktop.
If you get one and like me, don't want one;
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\HideDesktopIcons\ClassicStartMenu
and or
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\HideDesktopIcons\NewStartPanel
and or
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\HideDesktopIcons\ClassicStartMenu
and or
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\HideDesktopIcons\NewStartPanel

Data Value of 1 = hidden
Data Value of 0 = not hidden

EDIT: Reappeared next day after a couple reboots next stop was
Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFWARE\Microsoft\Wind ows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Desktop\NameSpace\
Key = {B4FB3F98-C1EA-428d-A78A-D1F5659CBA93}
Deleted, refreshed Desktop, gone. Guess we'll see if this one works permanently.

Regards
Randy

Last edited by a moderator:
Just appeared. I will follow the steps outlined above. Weird!

I changed the dword which did nothing. I then deleted the key from your edit and the icon disappeared. That was indeed strange. Why would that have suddenly appeared? I have been using Win 8 CP almost continuously, and done a complete custom reinstall about a week ago, and this is the first I have seen that. Very weird. Thanks for the info.

Last edited by a moderator: