Availability & quality of flatbed scanners

wizardgmb

My wife has some artwork that she would like to digitize so she can distribute prints instead of originals. She needs relatively low resolutions of ~300 dpi for web postings and at least 1200 dpi scans for print making. I have a ten year old HP 3750 scanner attached to a Win7 workstation that I use for occasionally scanning documents and pictures. I would prefer to have a scanner attached to my wife's Win10 workstation to eliminate file transfers between the workstations, retire the Win7 workstation and hopefully get better quality scans. When I started looking for scanners with Win10 drivers I found a lot of all-in-one printers or sheet feed scanners that I don't want and some very high end commercial scanners with attendant high price tags. I was hoping to find a plain flatbed scanner without a sheet feeder for under $200 if possible.

Does anyone have experience with flatbed scanning in the Win10 environment? Is there a cost effective method of generating quality scans with a Win10 workstation? Will the quality be sufficiently better than my old 3750 to justify the expense? If I stick with Win7, is there a better quality scanner, perhaps a commercial model, that I might find used on ebay?

regards,
George

Last edited:
Since I wrote the above post, I discovered that Epson is still making cost effective flat bed scanners with Win10 drivers included. I'm still interested in others experinces with scanning in the Win10 environment and any specific hardware recommendations.

I'd offer advice if I could but I can probably count the number of times I've used a scanner on one hand. Obviously you're going to pay more for higher dpi scanning and like most things electronics the price doesn't scale uniformly with quality but rather exponentially.

Based on reviews and price this one looks like a good fit. It can handle even higher dpi then you're looking for, does black and white, color and even film negatives. $189
Amazon.com: Epson Perfection V600 Color Photo, Image, Film, Negative & Document Scanner - Corded: Electronics

Back
Top Bottom